The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-10-2020, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I thought it was really interesting to hear the difference the woods made. I think mine definitely has a fuller tone with a stronger bass presence, overtones, and just a real rich deep tone. I think Blueboy is brighter, quicker, and more towards mahogany woody sounds than it is towards the rosewoods. Both stellar, and both wonderful, siblings, but different.

I still can not believe the depth of the bass notes in my BRW/Tunnel 14 though.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
I just found out that Blue Boy has 1 13/16 nut with and 2 5/16 string spacing. Somebody, puh-puh-puh-pleeaeeeeeasssee put me out of my new misery and buy that thang! LOL.
I had a message conversation with Ben a couple of days ago about Blue Boy but never asked about the nut. I just assumed 1 3/4. I think that the 1 13/16 makes it a non-starter for me. I guess that there is a lesson there about assuming.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I believe that 1-3/4" and 2-1/4" are the standard for Ben's guitars. But with the Nautilus being a fanfret the spacing increases since the neck is the same width, but the nut and saddle are angled and thus a bit longer.

I really don't notice it at all on my Arum--it's pretty transparent when you play it. I don't even notice the width or the angled frets...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-12-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
I believe that 1-3/4" and 2-1/4" are the standard for Ben's guitars. But with the Nautilus being a fanfret the spacing increases since the neck is the same width, but the nut and saddle are angled and thus a bit longer.

I really don't notice it at all on my Arum--it's pretty transparent when you play it. I don't even notice the width or the angled frets...
I have to agree, 1/16th of an inch spread across the nut with the fan fret, there is no way that I am good enough to even notice that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop