The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-07-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Bridge for 1930's Kay Kraft Deluxe round hole Archtop?

Hi all, I have a 1934ish Kay Kraft K2 Deluxe Archtop and looking for a proper floating bridge. The bridge that came on it from my Craigslist buy doesn't sit flush at all to the arched top as it's flat on the bottom and I think is designed to be fixed...also, the makeshift saddle on it seems to be glued in. I recently read that shaping of an Archtop bridge bottom is usually necessary when bought new (which wouldn't be much of a problem for me) and I have the ability to carve a bone (or whatever material) saddle if needed. Btw, the neck (which is designed to be adjustable) is somewhat bowed which I'll have repaired by a luthier when funds permit. Any suggestions on a bridge for this and where to buy? Should it be adjustable? I don't need an exact period match as I'm just trying to get it up and running for an option as I dive into learning acoustic slide and funds for this are limited.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
(Pics of the guitar coming up in a bit)
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)

Last edited by Brushwood; 01-07-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwood View Post
Hi all, I have a 1934ish Kay Kraft K2 Deluxe Archtop and looking for a proper floating bridge. The bridge that came on it from my Craigslist buy doesn't sit flush at all to the arched top as it's flat on the bottom and I think is designed to be fixed...also, the makeshift saddle on it seems to be glued in. I recently read that shaping of an Archtop bridge bottom is usually necessary when bought new (which wouldn't be much of a problem for me) and I have the ability to carve a bone (or whatever material) saddle if needed. Btw, the neck (which is designed to be adjustable) is somewhat bowed which I'll have repaired by a luthier when funds permit. Any suggestions on a bridge for this and where to buy? Should it be adjustable? I don't need an exact period match as I'm just trying to get it up and running for an option as I dive into learning acoustic slide and funds for this are limited.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(Pics of the guitar coming up in a bit)

IMG_1196.jpgIMG_1017.jpgIMG_1013.jpgIMG_3579.jpg
Eastman T386SB
Takamine TF740FS
Old 01-07-2020, 12:45 PM

Why don't you try sanding the bottom of that bridge, and get it to sit snugly on the body. The idea of the adjustable neck is that you don't need an adjustable bridge, you adjust action height with the neck.

Edit. Deep in the picture section of this blog post by Jake Wildwood is a picture of an original Kay Kraft bridge of the type that probably came on your guitar. It is adjustable, with a bakelite topper. https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...op-guitar.html

Last edited by MC5C; 01-07-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
Why don't you try sanding the bottom of that bridge, and get it to sit snugly on the body. The idea of the adjustable neck is that you don't need an adjustable bridge, you adjust action height with the neck.

Edit. Deep in the picture section of this blog post by Jake Wildwood is a picture of an original Kay Kraft bridge of the type that probably came on your guitar. It is adjustable, with a bakelite topper. https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...op-guitar.html
Your right, nothing to lose by giving a shot at modifying the bridge that's already on it. Thank you for the helpful link.
Eastman T386SB
Takamine TF740FS
Old 01-22-2020, 12:04 PM

You can find those bridge's on EBAY. They always have them. You always have to sand them to fit the top. They can't make them to fit every archtop made. They just aren't that simetrical.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklt View Post
You can find those bridge's on EBAY. They always have them. You always have to sand them to fit the top. They can't make them to fit every archtop made. They just aren't that simetrical.
Gotcha, thank you for the info. I'll peruse Ebay for one after I practice by sanding the oddball one that's on there now to fit the top.
Eastman T386SB
Takamine TF740FS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops