The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-12-2019, 06:54 AM

Default Upgrade from Garageband to Logic Pro?

I'm relatively new to computer based recording (but not recording in general). Bought my first Mac back in January, and started using Garageband. I'm a singer/songwriter who generally works alone, playing multiple instruments and singing all the vocal parts myself. I've also found the built-in drummer in Garageband to be an easy-to-use and great sounding addition to my recordings. In general, I've been very pleased with the results I've gotten using Garageband, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on improving my recordings by not upgrading to Logic Pro. What does Logic offer that would make a noticeable difference in the results I'm getting?

In general I don't utilize midi instruments, loops or any synth generators. My arrangements are usually straight-ahead rock, folk, country and blues genres. So, my question to those of you who have some experience with both Garageband and Logic is whether I should spend the $200 to upgrade to Logic or would I be better off spending that money on something else (such as the Nectar 3 vocal suite) which has a dedicated use for upgrading a specific element in my recording process?

Any and all opinions and insights are most welcome. Thanks!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-12-2019, 08:49 AM

I'll be interested in this thread too. Same basic situation as you. One addition I've been happy with, in lieu of garage band yet, is an external hard drive, dedicated only to music recording. I got a decent one, and it has helped keeping up with multi tracks, etc.. Speeds everything up and keeps the data safer, I believe. I got a glyph 1 tb.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 AM

I would say Logic Pro X is the natural DAW to move onto if you're enjoying Garageband.

Garageband doesn't have a proper mixer and you can't tweak settings as much as you can in Logic. Also the Logic Drummer has more control that the GB Drummer. I can't really list all the improvements over GB but I'm a happy Logic Pro X user and think it's amazing value if you have an Apple machine.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 AM

I agree with the post above by paulp 1960. Rather than list the 10 top reasons to upgrade from GB to Logic Pro X I'm including a link that lays them out better than I can.

https://www.macprovideo.com/article/...to-logic-pro-x

While Logic Pro X involves a steeper learning curve I believe you'd soon come to terms with it and appreciate the benefits very quickly. Besides, the journey is part of the fun!
Old 07-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Garageband to Logic Pro is a worthwhile upgrade. You won't regret it.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Both mentioned in the linked article, but the top 3 things I use that I would not want to try and do without are the mixer view, track stacks (mostly summing) and takes with quick-swipe comping.

The built-in compressors are really good IMO. Never thought about using anything else. (Note, you have the same compressors in GB, but not the level of control.)

Just do it
Old 07-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I'm relatively new to computer based recording (but not recording in general). Bought my first Mac back in January, and started using Garageband. I'm a singer/songwriter who generally works alone, playing multiple instruments and singing all the vocal parts myself. I've also found the built-in drummer in Garageband to be an easy-to-use and great sounding addition to my recordings. In general, I've been very pleased with the results I've gotten using Garageband, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on improving my recordings by not upgrading to Logic Pro. What does Logic offer that would make a noticeable difference in the results I'm getting?

In general I don't utilize midi instruments, loops or any synth generators. My arrangements are usually straight-ahead rock, folk, country and blues genres. So, my question to those of you who have some experience with both Garageband and Logic is whether I should spend the $200 to upgrade to Logic or would I be better off spending that money on something else (such as the Nectar 3 vocal suite) which has a dedicated use for upgrading a specific element in my recording process?

Any and all opinions and insights are most welcome. Thanks!
I have Mac but do not use GB. I use Protools BUT if I had not already started with PT 17 years ago, I would be using Logic Pro

Because just as the name implies

IMO GB is a consumer grade DAW and Logic is a professional grade DAW.

And Yes you are missing out, on many features that can help improve your overall recording and mixing capabilities and workflow . For many many reasons. BUT
If for no other reason than in multi track recordings you have BUS capability in Logic and do not in in GB. You can set up parallel reverb etc.

In fact looking to the future
For the price of a night on the town you will definitely be investing in software you will use for the rest of your recording life

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-12-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:41 AM

If you want to explore recording a little more this is a sensible upgrade. Logic now seems to be a one time purchase with major releases being delivered as free upgrades to existing users - so although the initial purchase is pricey this is great value for money.
Martin J40
Old 07-13-2019, 03:45 AM

In short:

Don't upgrade because Logic Pro X is excellent recording software and good value for money, only upgrade if you need more features than Garageband can offer.

I have both but for what I do, Garageband is sufficient so the $200 can be spent on something else.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:40 AM

LPX is a pro grade DAW. It has the flex to manage/edit MIDI, samples a ton, it has multiple drums/keys/amps/pedals. The effects are world class. It is simply a good deal when you 'run out of room' on GB (very similar format with fewer options), or determine that it has to work like pro gear. For a Mac-based, pro grade DAW, at it's price point, there is no real parallel or alternative. Yes, there is a significant learning curve but, you can ask your question on about any music-related forum and get an answer. For stuff that tends to be esoteric, there is a Logic forum. It's less than the cost of a nice dinner, with a nice bottle of wine, or a new Pirelli for your Ferrari Enzo (or gas for your Lear).

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 07-13-2019, 05:49 AM

Thanks all, for your input and insights! I plan on upgrading to Logic Pro X, and look forward to the challenge of the learning curve experience with the hope that my music projects will benefit.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-13-2019, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Thanks all, for your input and insights! I plan on upgrading to Logic Pro X, and look forward to the challenge of the learning curve experience with the hope that my music projects will benefit.
Good decision.
There are lots of "how to" on Youtube. Also, Apple "used" to offer free classes at Mac stores for Logic, if you have one near, might be well worth your while to call and find out.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-13-2019, 11:42 AM
Eric Skye

I did last year and I'm having so much fun. It's going to be pretty intuitive if you have some experience with Garageband. But Logic is also deep as the ocean, so one thing I could no more highly recommend doing is paying $15 for a month long month subscription to https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Logic-Pro-X-Explained And do their basic Logic video course. And they have many other more advance courses on Logic on other topics if you want. But I watched the basic one three times -I think it's about five hours of videos- and it was a game changer. This was after wasting many hours watching random Youtube tutorials.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I did last year and I'm having so much fun. It's going to be pretty intuitive if you have some experience with Garageband. But Logic is also deep as the ocean, so one thing I could no more highly recommend doing is paying $15 for a month long month subscription to https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Logic-Pro-X-Explained And do their basic Logic video course. And they have many other more advance courses on Logic on other topics if you want. But I watched the basic one three times -I think it's about five hours of videos- and it was a game changer. This was after wasting many hours watching random Youtube tutorials.
For me the most helpful Logic Pro X tutorial series was: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JPyOSZy5w4CsV9

Despite diametrically opposed musical styles between Joshua Carney and myself I find his music production videos clear, concise and very easy to follow.
I'll go so far as to say I've gained more practical knowledge from his videos than all the other Logic Pro X and recording resources combined. And that is saying a great deal given that I regularly read articles and watch videos from sites like Sound on Sound, Gearslutz, Mixbus TV, etc.....
Old 07-15-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
For me the most helpful Logic Pro X tutorial series was: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JPyOSZy5w4CsV9

Despite diametrically opposed musical styles between Joshua Carney and myself I find his music production videos clear, concise and very easy to follow.
I'll go so far as to say I've gained more practical knowledge from his videos than all the other Logic Pro X and recording resources combined. And that is saying a great deal given that I regularly read articles and watch videos from sites like Sound on Sound, Gearslutz, Mixbus TV, etc.....
Thanks for those suggestions guys! I started watching Joshua Carney's introductory video on youtube last night. Very helpful, and I'm seriously considering purchasing the groove3 tutorial. The more I can educate myself on using Logic the better the results are bound to be.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD