The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-12-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Here's a site where you can upload a track and see if, or how much it will be "penalized" by Youtube, Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, and Apple Sound Check.

https://www.loudnesspenalty.com/
That's an interesting tool, wondering how accurate it really is. I put in a few songs from my last CD, all of which were passed through the same mastering chain (adjusted for each song, of course, to try to be in the same overall perceivable volume).
A song that had more instruments - drums, bass, electric guitars, etc - showed it would get 'penalized' more than a song with just a couple of acoustic guitars and vocals which got penalized more than a song with a single guitar and vocal. The differences were typically 1 to 3dB.

For reference, I look at the meter levels by plugging in songs from a similar-sounding 'professionally released' CD, which is always a bit louder (into the +dB range) than my mixes.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
That's an interesting tool, wondering how accurate it really is. I put in a few songs from my last CD, all of which were passed through the same mastering chain (adjusted for each song, of course, to try to be in the same overall perceivable volume).
A song that had more instruments - drums, bass, electric guitars, etc - showed it would get 'penalized' more than a song with just a couple of acoustic guitars and vocals which got penalized more than a song with a single guitar and vocal. The differences were typically 1 to 3dB.

For reference, I look at the meter levels by plugging in songs from a similar-sounding 'professionally released' CD, which is always a bit louder (into the +dB range) than my mixes.
Out of curiosity, when those songs were mastered, did you match levels using a decibel scale or a LUFS scale?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

For a collection of tunes played consecutively (such as a CD) I match volume levels by ear.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD