The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 04:15 AM

Default Ibanez Hummingbird

I have a 1977 Ibanez Hummingbird Model 684BK. I've owned it since the mid-late 70s. A few years ago the bridge started showing signs of coming loose so I mothballed it until a few months ago. I have two questions.

1) The original bridge was easily removed. It has an adjustable saddle. This didn't bother me in the past but since I have to reinstall the bridge anyway is it worth the effort and slight expense to make or buy a new bridge and do away with the adjustable saddle? I realize there's some sound sacrifice from an adjustable bridge but we aren't talking about a terribly expense guitar so if it worth the effort?

2) I noticed that the top of the guitar running parallel with the bridge is not perfectly flat. in essence there's a slight crown of 1/8" or so. I've considered trying to use mild heat and flatten the top before installing the new bridge, but again is it worth the effort? And if anyone out there in guitar land has one of these guitars I'd like to know if they will check and see if the top is perfectly flat. I think there's a chance it might have been built this way but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
Old 07-02-2020, 04:46 AM

I have the same year 627. I have no doubt that any repair/fix/adaptation is well worth it. These are a great year for these MIJ guitars, with really good tone. AS an aside at some point soon they will start to increase in value.
Hope that helps

www.tupelolime.com
https://tupelolime.bandcamp.com/
Old 07-02-2020, 06:22 AM

I have an Ibanez dread I've owned since the early '70's and had the adjustable saddle changed to a fixed and noticed a definite improvement in tone. Mine, too, has a bit of belly bulge which hasn't changed in 45 years. (Wish I could say the same for me...)
Old 07-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I have two early Ibanez acoustics 2603 and 2606. VG sounding players with adjustable saddles. IVE REPLACED METAL ADJUSTABLE INSERT WITH A FAT BONE SADDLE AND IT DOES THE TRICK NICELY.. Sorry about caps got carried away looking at keyboard.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:09 AM

Default Ibanez 684 hummingbird

I’ve been keeping my eye on Ibanez hummingbirds over the last couple of years and decent playable condition examples are definitely accelerating so it’s in my opinion definitely worth putting some money into these great Japanese copies, not just a collectible vintage Japanese guitar but a well set up one has great tone to boot 👍
Old 12-20-2020, 09:00 AM

In the 1970s Ibanez out Gibson-ed Gibson. If you lose the ADJ saddle bridge though take care to check out the bridge plate. Not sure about the Ibanez version because I have never owned one but if they followed Gibson's lead, you will find bridge plates large enough to qualify as a piece of furniture. So if you are going to roll the bridge or go with an inset you should consider going with a traditional size maple plate. In my opinion, the bridge plate was more of a tone sucker than the bridge itself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ibanez 684bk, ibanez hummingbird