The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Grace Alix and Tone Dexter Preamps for Blending Pickups

I recently posted that I have a Martin equipped with a K&K Powermix Pure XT (dual system consisting of Pure pickup/Fantastick UST) and LR Baggs Lyric. That's 3 sources that are wired in stereo coming out of the guitar. However, since I am putting together an acoustic pedalboard and was planning to just run my K&K Pure pickup into a preamp and mono from there on out. So I recently bought a Tone Dexter and Grace Alix to try out and compare. First off, both units are outstanding on their own! However, for kicks I tried splitting the signal so that the K&K side of the signal runs through the Tone Dexter and the Lyric mic side into the Grace. Blending both signals sounds phenomenal! The pragmatic side of me says keeping both would be pretty impractical. But there's a nagging voice telling me to keep both and combine forces. So on my way home I bought a cheap cheese board from Home Goods and this is what I'm tinkering with:

I could run this as both a mono, stereo, or wet/dry board. Is this overkill??? Am I insane? Talk me from the ledge here, people...

Last edited by zerocharisma; 09-19-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:21 PM

There really isn't a ledge. If you like it, and that sound is worth more to you than other stuff you could buy with the same money, then I see no reason not to. The board is pretty and I'd imagine super versatile. I love those zoom pedals. . The MS60B is the home base of my bass rig.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:47 AM

I was thinking in use the Baggs M80 and the Anthem combo in my HD28. Two forum members told me that it would not be a good idea, since there could give me a few phase issues.

Are you sure that use this pickup combination wouldn't give you phase problems?

Speaking about combinations, I saw Charlie Worshan in a LR Baggs YouTube video combining pickups, and it sounded amazing! The nice thing about "overkill" is that you can play with creativity! The sky is the limit! Hahahah

I'm a newbie into this... I was just wondering...
Old 09-20-2018, 02:20 PM

I don't think this is complicated enough.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 09-20-2018, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredFelix View Post
There really isn't a ledge. If you like it, and that sound is worth more to you than other stuff you could buy with the same money, then I see no reason not to. The board is pretty and I'd imagine super versatile. I love those zoom pedals. . The MS60B is the home base of my bass rig.
I've tried to find an excuse to not like the Zoom MS70CDR but it punches above its weight so well, I don't think I can get rid of it. It does so much
Old 09-20-2018, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
I was thinking in use the Baggs M80 and the Anthem combo in my HD28. Two forum members told me that it would not be a good idea, since there could give me a few phase issues.

Are you sure that use this pickup combination wouldn't give you phase problems?

I'm a newbie into this... I was just wondering...
I was definitely wary of phase issues. I experimented with each pickup on its own, and then in combination through the K&K external belt clip preamp, and then in various combinations through the Tone Dexter and the Grace, and luckily did not find any phase issues. The nice thing both the TD and the Grace have phase/polarity switches so I was able to test this way as well. All I can say is whatever you can cook up, give it a shot!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I don't think this is complicated enough.
I knew I could count on you guys!
Old 09-21-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

How do you blend the output of the Tonedexter with the output of the Alix?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 AM

i like the cheeseboard idea. I would make
sure you can step on those footswtches close
to the cheeseboard handles. the handles look
higher than the switches . I use the mute on
my felix more than any other switch.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
How do you blend the output of the Tonedexter with the output of the Alix?
The output of the Tonedexter and the output of the Alix each feed an input on the Platform stereo compressor, which sums both into a balanced mono signal. From there I go out to a dry center amp, where a line out from the amp comes back into the the input of the Obscura Altered Delay, and then from there the signal splits into stereo, into the the Zoom (I use just a little modulation and reverb), to the looper, which goes out to a pair of wet amps.

I'll put together a video once I finish the board =)
Old 09-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
i like the cheeseboard idea. I would make
sure you can step on those footswtches close
to the cheeseboard handles. the handles look
higher than the switches . I use the mute on
my felix more than any other switch.
Thanks! My wife was a little envious that a nicer cheeseboard is being used for my pedals, than the one we actually use for a cheeseboard. By the way, I removed the handles and the pieces of wood on the periphery of the board. Gonna make some risers for the pedals in the middle area. Photos to come!
Old 09-22-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocharisma View Post
I recently posted that I have a Martin equipped with a K&K Powermix Pure XT (dual system consisting of Pure pickup/Fantastick UST) and LR Baggs Lyric. That's 3 sources that are wired in stereo coming out of the guitar. However, since I am putting together an acoustic pedalboard and was planning to just run my K&K Pure pickup into a preamp and mono from there on out. So I recently bought a Tone Dexter and Grace Alix to try out and compare. First off, both units are outstanding on their own! However, for kicks I tried splitting the signal so that the K&K side of the signal runs through the Tone Dexter and the Lyric mic side into the Grace. Blending both signals sounds phenomenal! The pragmatic side of me says keeping both would be pretty impractical. But there's a nagging voice telling me to keep both and combine forces. So on my way home I bought a cheap cheese board from Home Goods and this is what I'm tinkering with:

I could run this as both a mono, stereo, or wet/dry board. Is this overkill??? Am I insane? Talk me from the ledge here, people...

This looks amazing. Go for it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification