The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-01-2012, 05:58 AM

Default Best banjo bang for the buck? $300 - $500

I am getting asked to play banjo more often these days. I had a nice Alvarez Denver Belle 5 string when I was young, that I played a LOT, but haven't owned one for about 30 years.

I've had two session calls from two Grammy winning producers to play banjo lately and I had to borrow one each time. For one session I was able to borrow a nice Gibson, for the other an old Epiphone. Both those sessions went great. Fortunately I didn't need to play anything at 100 mph! I'm playing banjo now and then on live gigs as well.

I want to get a nice high end banjo, but alas my kids school tuition has a vacuum hose attached to my wallet. Until I can swing a good one, I just want to have something I can practice on and work up arrangements, etc.

Any suggestions on the best bang for the buck in the $300 - $500 range? I'd go with a used instrument of course to get more mileage from my budget.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 AM

Just finished up taking a bluegrass banjo class with Herb Pederson. He felt the banjo I was using was holding me back somewhat for a variety of reasons and recommended several banjos to me. Most were too expensive for my means but he suggested Deering's Goodtime 2 as an inexpensive and good quality banjo in the price range you've mentioned. I picked a new one up a couple of weeks ago and have been really happy with it. Quality construction, great playability, excellent tone and really good volume even without a tone ring. Of course without the tone ring it weighs in at about 6 pounds which makes it easy on this old back and shoulders of mine. Certainly worth checking out.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Best banjo bang for the buck? $300 - $500

I too would recommend the Deering Goodtime 2 banjo for your purpose. New they will be at the upper end of your price range but you can get a good used one for less. A few years ago Deering went to a more traditional headstock and a 3-ply rim. If possible go for one of these newer ones. The older ones are often called "Gumby" head stocks. They are fine too but I hate the look and the multi-ply rim isn't quite as nice.

If you can afford a little more, the Goodtime Special which has a tone ring can be nice, but I really think the Goodtime 2 would suite you very well. I have had both, along with high end banjos, and the Goodtime 2 is the only one I still have. I love the playability and tone.

There are a few others out there that may also fit your needs. Peruse the offerings at some of the AGF sponsors and maybe give them a call and chat with them. Also, check out www.banjohangout.com. Good luck and keep us posted!

Todd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments