The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Small powered monitors that would work as stereo rig on a stand?

I’m building a DIY stereo rig and currently use 2 Insignia “indoor/outdoor” 5” speakers with 2 Quilter Toneblocks and a Boss AD-10 processor/preamp.
It sounds pretty good and the stereo effect sounds very nice with chorus and such, but now I want to scale it down in size a bit. I’m looking into powered monitors, but I need them to be as small and light with enough power to fill a large(ish) room (wedding band venues- cocktail hour).
I seek monitors around the size of smaller studio monitors.(think KRK “Rokit” series.)
I guess I could go to my local GC and demo some speakers, but if anyone can suggest a style,model,brand, of speaker for my diy rig, let me know. Also, tell me if such a rig would be the right choice in such a setup. Studio monitors are “near field” as well. Maybe there are similar size speakers with more throw distance? Let me know.
The speakers would be going up on a mid-size tripod speaker stand.
Thanx.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:40 PM

I really love my Behringer B205D mini speakers. Two of them on round-base mic stands work really well as stage monitors for our five member acoustic band, or when I do small rooms I can turn them around and point them at the audience as fills or even full PA's.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Beheringer 208Ds are very good, still compact, and can fill a banquet room. We were really surprised how good they sound, and I was a confirmed Beheringer hater before using these.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Beheringer 208Ds are very good, still compact, and can fill a banquet room. We were really surprised how good they sound, and I was a confirmed Beheringer hater before using these.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-24-2018, 02:34 PM

Kustom PA50s are decent. Pair them with the PA12 sub and you've got a very good compact system. I used that setup at a church that seats 800 with bass, 2 vocalists and acoustic guitar and cajon.

Just the two PA50s are good though.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:48 PM

Depends on your budget, but I use my EV ZXA1s for 85-90% of the gigs I do now, including some bar gigs and smaller outdoor venues. They are small and only weigh 9.5kgs (19lbs), which is great for me, as I'm recovering from rotator cuff injuries.

https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1004
Old 09-25-2018, 06:33 AM

Forget studio 'monitors' like KRKs - these are 'near field' speakers - designed to be listened to fairly closely (4-8ft). they don't disperse the sound wide enough or far enough (SPL) to be used as a PA system.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-25-2018, 10:17 AM

I agree with Yamahaguy regarding adding a small sub for PA use. There's just no way you're going to get much of anything usable into a room below 150hz without a dedicated LF cab.

If I were to dip into my PA company stock for this I'd grab a pair of Alto SXM112a concentric powered wedges. Very serviceable as monitors, nice even pattern from the concentric configuration (which also means a small footprint), stand mountable, less than 20# IIRC and capable of twice the usable output of the Behringer monitors mentioned above.

Add a crossover, a decent 31 band GEQ and a 12" sub and you'll have a very decent PA for your needs. And if you can find a sub with a built in crossover it will be even simpler.

Have fun. Good luck.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification