The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Anyone play banjo?

Help! I have BAS! My teacher always has a banjo in the room during my guitar lesson, and I think it bit me! I have to get one. He tells me banjo is very easy after guitar. I used to think they sounded a little obnoxious but I am changing my tune. In fact, today, I stopped by Elderly and spent most of the time checking out the banjos. BTW, Taylors now take up more space there than any other brand. Anyone else ever been bit by a banjo bug? I gotta get one.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:11 PM

I use to, before I got into fingerstyle. I haven't played it for a long, long time.. It's a Gibson Mastertone.. RB-250. My dad use to play, and he bought it in the mid 70's. You sure can get into a lot of money changing parts on a banjo.. Tail Pieces, Rims, Tone Rings, Scruggs Tuners, Bridges.. I changed everything on that banjo to get the PreWar sound. Maybe I'll get it out again someday, and see how much I have forgotten..

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 06-07-2004, 09:20 PM

I caught the banjo bug in December and couldn't resist. I've been playing for about 6 months but its been a lot of fun. It was definitely a hit in the dorms. If you'r'e going to get a beginner banjo, you're going to find a lot of suggestions for the Deering Goodtime. Thats a great banjo, but I'd spend a few more bucks and get a Gold Tone BG-250..way more banjo and can be had for under 500 if you look.

As with ease of picking it up, it can go both ways. I started sounding pretty good within 2 weeks of picking it up just because my right hand fingers could move pretty quickly. However, I have some friends that have played guitar longer than me that can't even spell b-a-n-j-o. With some time, I think they could get quite good but its different for everyone. That high E-string on the top side really throws you off at first, but you get used to it. Its definitely a fun intrument and you'll can bet on being the center of attention.

Definitely check out the Banjo Hangout: http://www.banjohangout.org/
One of the most informative forums I've ever been a part of.
Good luck!!

Taylor 414ce
Larrivee OM-03
Ibanez AW300CENT
Brian Moore i8
Custom Built Strat

My hope is in Jesus Christ.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:28 PM

Default banjo player here

LOOK OUT Dave !--The Banjo can be very addicting .I have been playing 15 yrs. Yes to some it is obnoxious (especially to my wife ). There is no in between ,you either love it or hate it. Banjos can be set up a lot of different ways for different sounds unlike guitars. There are different right hand rolls (or patterns) . Once you memorize them then you can mix in a melody. It is tuned most of the time to open G .I used to teach banjo at a music store and play banjo and mandolin in a bluegrass band.--- Caution Good banjos can be very expensive . If you have been bitten by the banjo bug ,then surely down the road you WILL! get bitten by the Mandolin Bug. GOOD LUCK ------- [email protected]
Old 06-07-2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoolz
LOOK OUT Dave !--The Banjo can be very addicting .I have been playing 15 yrs. Yes to some it is obnoxious (especially to my wife ). There is no in between ,you either love it or hate it. Banjos can be set up a lot of different ways for different sounds unlike guitars. There are different right hand rolls (or patterns) . Once you memorize them then you can mix in a melody. It is tuned most of the time to open G .I used to teach banjo at a music store and play banjo and mandolin in a bluegrass band.--- Caution Good banjos can be very expensive . If you have been bitten by the banjo bug ,then surely down the road you WILL! get bitten by the Mandolin Bug. GOOD LUCK ------- [email protected]
I already have a mandolin, a cheap Kentucky 150. I am a violinist originally, so the mandolin was a natural. It never really bit me, although I love DAWG music. But this banjo thing is pretty cool. I love the open tuning concept. It really does seem easy to learn.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:09 AM

I play frailing (old-time clawhammer). Never could get into bluegrass fingerpicking, especially since I know some awesome bluegrass players in my area whom I couldn't even begin to touch.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:10 AM

I picked up an Ibanez copy of a Gibson RB-800 Mastertone back in 1976. Mine was a mid-priced banjo--everything was either really cheap or really expensive. It has served me very well over the years, though I don't consider myself a banjo player--I just own a banjo. It's very well made, and always gets a few oohs and aahs. I use it for maybe 5-6 songs a night, and now I'm using it with my cover band--we often do a little bluegrass to shake things up--this is my secret weapon to get people involved and whoopin' and hollerin' and having and good time.

Bill
Old 06-08-2004, 02:32 AM

Thumbs up

Iv'e been playing guitar since1958,banjo since 1959. For me it's like having two children that you love equally much,and you can't decide who you want to spend more time with,so you always take both along with you, and try to give them equal "quality time".My wife loves my guitar,can sorta tolerate clawhammer banjo,has a hard time with Scruggs style. When I start playing alot of bluegrass banjo she says,"Honey, your guitars are getting lonely!" That's my hint that it's time to switch instruments!! I really love the old mountian modal style tunings used for clawhammer and old time picking style banjo.definatly addictive!! If I could only partake of one genre ,it's for sure bluegrass Gospel music. God bless, Pastor Harry
Isaiah 38:20
Old 06-08-2004, 06:38 AM

Yup I got one. An Ozark. It's a copy of a gibson Mastertone. Beautifully made piece of kit. Addictive to own and play. Everyone listens. I love it.

Al
Old 06-08-2004, 06:47 AM

My first musical insturment was a Gibson RD-150 banjo that I bought when I was in 8th grade. That was 1958. I spent all my grass cutting money on it and my parents thought I was crazy for getting it. I think it cost about $500.00 back then. Now new Gibsons have Taylor prices attached to them.

I took lessons at The Olde Town School of Folk music. I got decient on it and at one time I could play the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies. Took it to college with me and basically forgot about it. The University of Arizona had too many other things to pursue. Like drinking Coors and partying.

I held on to the banjo to this day and about 6 months ago I had it rebuilt. I play it once in a while. Most of my time is spent with the guitars. A year or so from now I plan on taking lessons again.

Learing the banjo first and playing bluegrass style has influenced my guitar playing. I tend to three finger pick the guitar bluegrass style. It is so ingrained in me that it is hard not to do it. It works for some music. I get my thumb all the way up to G. It works espically well on a 12 string because of the high strings being thumb accessable. I can get a lot of thumb leads and still get the alternating high G in there too.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)

Last edited by mdunn; 06-08-2004 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardave
Help! I have BAS! My teacher always has a banjo in the room during my guitar lesson, and I think it bit me! I have to get one. ...
Resist the Dark Side of the Force! Look away!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments