The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-21-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasunBey13 View Post
Thank you everyone... I will try some classical pieces than. I'm more into Jose Gonzalez, Bert Jansch, Jackson C Frank, Nick Drake, and Bob dylan. Certain folk artists so i don't really want to get into travis picking.
What most people call "Travis picking" is really a form of alternating bass, very similar to what those people you mention used. Travis himself did it his way (damped bass, thumb and index only), but people still use his name as a blanket term for the technique, even though he didn't invent it.

I agree that some simple classical pieces are worth trying. When I was teaching myself this style back in the 1960s (from records by Jansch, Donovan, Dylan, Ralph McTell, John Renbourn, Mississippi John Hurt, etc - no tab or lessons in those days!), I bought a book of classical pieces. Great tunes, and good finger workouts.

For the more advanced Jansch/Renbourn pieces, right hand classical exercises would also be valuable. You can find Giuliani's free online - tab version here (but no fingering shown): https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/maur...s-tab-s32808t0 Full document here, with tips (but no tab): http://www.classicalguitar.org/freem...iuliani120.pdf

If you can find lessons, great, but I recommend working out as much as you can by ear. If I was learning it today, I'd be using youtube etc too, like anyone, but nothing beats doing it yourself. I used a 2-speed tape deck back then, but now it's Transcribe: https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html
Old 09-21-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Get out and play in front of a live audience. It will push you to new levels. There's no faster way to improve!

If you're not a gigging musician you can easily find open mic nights in local bars and coffee houses. It's a good start and can often lead to a gig, or at least a showcase.
Quote:
I'm too nervous to ever do that. I'll forever play in my own little room or outside in nature.
One of the most inspirational things for me, which I don't do often enough, is go see GOOD live music. Whatever/whoever you're into, go see them; or someone similar. As a few others have mentioned listen to (recorded) music as well.

Trying to pull ideas out of a hat, just because they're ideas, isn't the best way to define a path. Let inspiration be your guide, Gdasshoppa!
Old 09-21-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
What most people call "Travis picking" is really a form of alternating bass, very similar to what those people you mention used. Travis himself did it his way (damped bass, thumb and index only), but people still use his name as a blanket term for the technique, even though he didn't invent it.

I agree that some simple classical pieces are worth trying. When I was teaching myself this style back in the 1960s (from records by Jansch, Donovan, Dylan, Ralph McTell, John Renbourn, Mississippi John Hurt, etc - no tab or lessons in those days!), I bought a book of classical pieces. Great tunes, and good finger workouts.

For the more advanced Jansch/Renbourn pieces, right hand classical exercises would also be valuable. You can find Giuliani's free online - tab version here (but no fingering shown): https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/maur...s-tab-s32808t0 Full document here, with tips (but no tab): http://www.classicalguitar.org/freem...iuliani120.pdf

If you can find lessons, great, but I recommend working out as much as you can by ear. If I was learning it today, I'd be using youtube etc too, like anyone, but nothing beats doing it yourself. I used a 2-speed tape deck back then, but now it's Transcribe: https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html
Name of the classical book? and thank you
Old 09-22-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Name of the classical book?
Hey, this is 50 years ago! I still have it (and a couple of similar ones from the same era), but it must be way out of print by now.

Essentially you could choose any book called something like "favourite classical guitar pieces" - and then choose according to your skill level.

The pieces I particularly liked were mostly by Francisco Tarrega - beautifully melodic, and mostly not too tricky: Lagrima, Maria, Marieta, Prelude in D major, Capricho Arabe...
Old 09-22-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Hey, this is 50 years ago! I still have it (and a couple of similar ones from the same era), but it must be way out of print by now.

Essentially you could choose any book called something like "favourite classical guitar pieces" - and then choose according to your skill level.

The pieces I particularly liked were mostly by Francisco Tarrega - beautifully melodic, and mostly not too tricky: Lagrima, Maria, Marieta, Prelude in D major, Capricho Arabe...
Lolol I know it was worth a shot asking. Thank you I think I found one I like on amazon. Now do you recommend playing the classical style way or can I play the guitar in reg position..
Old 09-24-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Lolol I know it was worth a shot asking. Thank you I think I found one I like on amazon. Now do you recommend playing the classical style way or can I play the guitar in reg position..
I play in normal position. I sometimes cross my legs (right over left), which is better than right leg with both feet on the floor. The latter is OK provided you keep the neck up (fret arm elbow 90 degrees or less).

It's worth trying classical position (left leg + footstool), because that is an ideal position for both hands when playing fingerstyle (that's why it's the convention ). But that does depend on the guitar you're playing. It's pretty uncomfortable to play a dreadnought in that position (unless you'e a big guy).

I would recommend classical position unreservedly if that was going to be your preferred genre. If you're more into general folk/blues fingerstyle, with classical an optional add-on, I'd stay with right leg. But definitely experiment, and give the other options a good try - I mean not just for a couple of minutes.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:23 AM

First off you must be doing something right if you’ve learned to play everything you want! That’s something to be proud of. Personally I have no allusions right now that I’ll ever learn everything I want to play. I have a decent list of popular music I can play but always adding more. I have a couple jazz standards I’m working on, both fingerpicked. I’m working on a Spanish style fingerpicked piece as well as a classical piece. I think for myself learning everything I would ever want to play would like being getting to the end of the internet😁

So I’ve only been playing a classical style guitar for several months. I got to the point where the more intricate pieces just didn’t sound the way I wanted on steel strings, so I started working with nylon string. With the classical I also started holding the guitar in the classical pose. It took a little bit to get used to it, but there’s no question certain chords are much easier to hit in that form. I find fingerstyle pieces much easier and even some of the jazz stuff with its more complex, ( at least for me), chords in classical position. However if I’m strumming I switch back to “normal” position. So give it a try and see how it works for you.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 09-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

As far as sitting position I always play classical guitar with it on my right leg (like the flamenco guitarists). On the left leg my back feels strained.
IMO do what you find physically comfortable.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write