The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2020, 09:55 AM

You are probably right again Aaron as you are most times. It's mostly mental and when I get something new I can quickly get frustrated by stuff that's not simple plug and play. I can be very impatient and impulsive and I need to just take my time and learn how to use this pedal. I am a degreed Accountant, so I know my brain can do it, but when it comes to music, I just want to play and don't like to waste time learning new technology. It's an inner battle that I have with myself all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I don’t even touch the presets on the Stomp. I have one custom acoustic preset and one electric preset. Tweaking doesn’t have to be done. You can load a ‘simple EQ’ block and it’s the same as the EQ on an EQ pedal but you can go in and customize it if needed. It’s just a wonderful pedal and I think every guitarist should own one either as their main rig or as an add on device.

Not trying to tell you what to do but I truly believe this one device would solve 99% of your needs and make life easier in the long run.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:03 PM

It's kind of old, big and no longer made but the Yamaha AG Stomp basically has all those things you initially were looking for.

Also it has an early version of Yamaha's mic modeling tech in it which sounds nice (not amazing, it was made form 2002 - 2009 so mic modelling has definitely gotten better since then). And it's got an auto-antifeedback button.

I still have one, and through a Fishman Loudbox it definitely still makes any piezo pickup sound way better.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...a%20ag%20stomp
Old 10-22-2020, 01:10 PM

Wonder why they never made a newer version of that Yamaha AG Stomp? Looks like a nice pedal. Also, can you NOT use a mic model? My Yamaha A3M already has an IR built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudama View Post
It's kind of old, big and no longer made but the Yamaha AG Stomp basically has all those things you initially were looking for.

Also it has an early version of Yamaha's mic modeling tech in it which sounds nice (not amazing, it was made form 2002 - 2009 so mic modelling has definitely gotten better since then). And it's got an auto-antifeedback button.

I still have one, and through a Fishman Loudbox it definitely still makes any piezo pickup sound way better.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...a%20ag%20stomp

Last edited by JackB1; 10-22-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:17 PM

From a different direction, I ask why, oh why, don't they just put an extra knob with a reverb/delay on the Baggs Venue Di or the Fishman Platinum Pro DI? They have the crucial sweepable mids controls to lose the kloinky mid in easy knob form but then you need an extra box for reverb or delay....

They want you to lug 5 boxes! I mean, I could take my Maton EBG808 with lovely pickup system and run just the Fishman Pro DI for ease of use.....but no reverb.... Just put a knob of reverb on there for me!

BluesKing777.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
From a different direction, I ask why, oh why, don't they just put an extra knob with a reverb/delay on the Baggs Venue Di or the Fishman Platinum Pro DI? They have the crucial sweepable mids controls to lose the kloinky mid in easy knob form but then you need an extra box for reverb or delay....

They want you to lug 5 boxes! I mean, I could take my Maton EBG808 with lovely pickup system and run just the Fishman Pro DI for ease of use.....but no reverb.... Just put a knob of reverb on there for me!

BluesKing777.
Would you pay the price of the two pedals just for an extra reverb knob?

The Fishman platinum and Baggs Venue DI are analog pedals. The reverb/delay pedal is digital... so it is not just the price of the pot you should add.

Also you don't want digital noise spreading in your fine analog preamps circuits... so it probably must be done with care.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-23-2020, 12:09 AM

Got one of these last year and it ended my search.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 10-23-2020, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Absolutely agreed! Love mine - but unfortunately, the thread started with it being let go because it was too complicated -
Old 10-23-2020, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Absolutely agreed! Love mine - but unfortunately, the thread started with it being let go because it was too complicated -
I that case jack will have a hard time to find his box. I think this is the most simple way to get reverb, delay, conpression and half-parametric EQ.
I never tried that thing but ot looks tempting.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 10-23-2020, 07:28 AM

Yes this was my whole point. There are so many "all in one" boxes, but almost none with para EQ. Most of us acoustic gigging musicians just need the same basic tools......reverb, delay, compression, boost and a Para EQ.
That's it. Why is this so hard to find, unless you spend $600-700 on a Soulmate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post

BluesKing777.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:33 AM

No the Soulmate is not too complicated. It's too expensive! $600 new last time I checked. And I agree its probably the most complete unit of this type available. I just wasn't crazy about the "shelf" type para EQs on all 3 bands. Most para's have a "frequency center" knob that you adjust. This one has a "frequency shelf", meaning everything in that band up to a certain point is shelved. Just makes it weird for me, but I guess I could learn to figure them out. The other thing is that the Soulmate's effects all seem to color your tone in a certain way that you may or may not like. I have watched several demos on Youtube and they all have that same overall sound to them. Not that it's bad....just different. I think that's why Aaron
ended up not liking it after his review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Old 10-23-2020, 08:54 AM

The TC Helicon Play Acoustic has a parametric EQ within the Advanced BodyRez settings. You get both a bass and treble adjustment PLUS two bands of parametric EQ adjustment. You'll also get compression, boost, modulation, delay and reverb effects. Seems like it has what you're looking for with the parametric EQ?

Granted, there is a small learning curve to get through the menu system...but it's pretty simple.
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 10-23-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post

Me too, had a Transit, Fly Rig and Fishman Platinim.
The Soulmate far exceeded them I terms of tone and quality. Bonus, sold several effects, which offset the cost considerably.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 10-23-2020, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
No the Soulmate is not too complicated. It's too expensive! $600 new last time I checked. And I agree its probably the most complete unit of this type available. I just wasn't crazy about the "shelf" type para EQs on all 3 bands. Most para's have a "frequency center" knob that you adjust. This one has a "frequency shelf", meaning everything in that band up to a certain point is shelved. Just makes it weird for me, but I guess I could learn to figure them out. The other thing is that the Soulmate's effects all seem to color your tone in a certain way that you may or may not like. I have watched several demos on Youtube and they all have that same overall sound to them. Not that it's bad....just different. I think that's why Aaron
ended up not liking it after his review.
I told you the other day that I do like it! I just think the Stomp is a more complete and portable solution. As analogue style multi fx go the Soulmate is hard to beat.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:41 AM

My Boss ME-80 has a nice preamp that works well for acoustic guitars (works great for my mandolin too). The rest of the effects have enough parameter adjustment to get through a typical bar gig, though I'm not sure I'd be satisfied in a studio recording context.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:49 AM

This has been a very informative thread, thanks for starting it Jack. I think you are going to have to make a compromise on either price (pay more) features (not everything you want) or learning curve (put in the work). There are no free lunches as the old saying goes. Good luck with your search

Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-24-2020 at 07:24 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification