The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-11-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Methos is right: Bose S1 as main

In answer to my own rhetorical question: could we use a Bose S1 as our only speaker for an acoustic duo at a small indoor gig? Short answer-yep!

I used my Bose S1 as our main (and only) speaker at a gig Saturday night. We're an acoustic duo with both of us singing, Jamie on guitar and I play 6 and 12 string guitar, mandolin and harmonica. I placed the S1 above and behind us and ran a mono signal from a Yamaha MG10XU mixer to channel 1.

Set the S1 channel volume at about 1 o'clock and master volume on the mixer at about 11 o'clock. Individual channel volumes were relatively low, none above 50%. There was a bit of initial feedback due to one vocal mic but a bit of playing with gain levels fixed that. I ran the EQ on the S1 flat and adjusted EQ at the board.

We had plenty of volume in a room about 30 X 90 with maybe 25 people there in the course of the night. Good clean sound and well dispersed at low volume. We could hear ourselves well and set up took 45 minutes at the most including sound checking the instruments and vocals.

We had plenty of headroom on volume so might try this setup in a larger or 'noisier' space. We're playing a larger space Saturday that tends to be a bit louder and will use this same setup. The only thing I'll try differently is to run instruments to one channel and vocals to the other channel on the S1 and engage the appropriate tonematch switches to see how that works.

So there you go, yes, the S1 is awesome even as a main speaker.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Hey, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile, but I'll take it! Glad it worked for you.

It's still working for us going on almost two years (come spring) and we still love it. Our setup is more like 10 minutes but that's just one guitar, two mics and the mixer. All battery power. I can be rocking in 10 and then tweak on the fly as needed. Add a second S1 and you can literally do just about anything with an acoustic duo.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Part of that set up time is taking all three of my instruments out of the cases, tuning, taking cases out to the car to unclutter the space and warming up. The connecting wires part of set up for us was closer to 20 minutes. I suspect as we get more accustomed to using the mixer (we've been using individual LB Artists) our set up time will decrease.

I'm the cursed multi instrumentalist that is the high maintenance part of the duo in terms of set up time! Thanks again for all your great reviews that inspired me to give this a shot.

Next time I may just set the S1 on the bar that is just to our left at the venue from last Saturday. This week I plan to set it tilted up on the floor behind us. It's a large but very resonant space so this should work great.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I'm the cursed multi instrumentalist that is the high maintenance part of the duo in terms of set up time! Thanks again for all your great reviews that inspired me to give this a shot.

Next time I may just set the S1 on the bar that is just to our left at the venue from last Saturday. This week I plan to set it tilted up on the floor behind us. It's a large but very resonant space so this should work great.
Lol - fortunately, I'm 'blessed' to being barely talented enough to play ONE instrument!!

We've used both the bar/chair to the left and the floor tilted up. Floor tilted up always led to challenges with boominess and feedback. It worked once in a very small room for a small amount of people so low volume.

The few times I've tried to run it on the floor tilted back at any volume has not worked well. Something in the auto-EQ of that position. Only seems to work for me when used outside for that position.

Pole mounted has been the most consistent for us. Behind most times unless we need more volume then it get's a little too loud and we move it out front and to one side.

I'll be interested to see how it goes for you in the different positions. Please updated when you can.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the information. Based on your experience I may take along a short stand I've got that can get the speaker up to about 6' and try it off to the side. I've had to turn down the bass when I've used the S1 on the floor tilted up as well.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:25 AM

I have been using 2 S1s on a stand above and behind me for solo and trio work (two guitars, bass and three mics- into a mixer) for 2 years now and am very satisfied with the BOSE.
Great coverage and dispersion and easy to get good tone.
Davidc
Old 11-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I have been using 2 S1s on a stand above and behind me for solo and trio work (two guitars, bass and three mics- into a mixer) for 2 years now and am very satisfied with the BOSE.
Great coverage and dispersion and easy to get good tone.
Davidc
how do you get two S1's on a single stand?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-12-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
One of these...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...peaker-bracket

Old 11-12-2019, 12:52 PM

Since the Bose S1 came out, I grabbed two of them and have used them extensively as my mains. Up on poles they really cover a room up to 200 people unless its a loud bar. I have been told by people in the know that they sound great. I agree. So easy to set up and tear down. Easy to transport with the Bose backpack for the S1 and no cords needed for power. Love em.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Like this:

180 degree opposed, side view:

180 degree from direct front:

180 degree, slightly offset:

Side by side facing same direction straight:

Side by side facing same direction slightly rotated outward:

Old 11-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Here's a complete NAD review I did of the dual mount/single pole system with a demo video:

NAD: 2 Bose S1, dual speaker stand video demo & review - Post outdoor-gig update
Old 11-12-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I use one of these for my EV ZXA1’s and it’s been a gamechanger.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:56 PM

I wonder how that would work on top of a sub like the ev zxa1 ? Too bad there isn’t a equivalent battery powered sub.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification