The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
I have a MiSi.
Then the canned IRs in the Zoom are a perfect fit.

One downside of the Zoom is the "piezo" source setting is certainly for a UST, not a SBT like the AGF approved K&K or my HFN.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-16-2019, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Then the canned IRs in the Zoom are a perfect fit.

One downside of the Zoom is the "piezo" source setting is certainly for a UST, not a SBT like the AGF approved K&K or my HFN.
Actually the effect block that allows you to choose piezo or mag seem to change the impedance to 5 or 10 megohm but if you don’t load that block the impedance is around 500ohm. Perfect for the K&K!
Old 11-16-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Actually the effect block that allows you to choose piezo or mag seem to change the impedance to 5 or 10 megohm but if you don’t load that block the impedance is around 500ohm. Perfect for the K&K!
I wasn't referring to impedance matching, but rather the specifics of the filter transfer function which would be a function of the spectrum of the pickup and microphone used to derive it.

Which does not mean it won't sound good with an SBT, just that it was developed for a UST.

As an aside (and an EE) we are getting carried away with impedance matching. It is the incredibly rare case that head phasing gets exposed by too high an input impedance for a K&K. And everyone should know by now the typical 3-10K input impedance of a mixer mic or line input is unsuitable for just about any passive pickup, even magnetic, though again to your ear it might sound good.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I wasn't referring to impedance matching, but rather the specifics of the filter transfer function which would be a function of the spectrum of the pickup and microphone used to derive it.

Which does not mean it won't sound good with an SBT, just that it was developed for a UST.

As an aside (and an EE) we are getting carried away with impedance matching. It is the incredibly rare case that head phasing gets exposed by too high an input impedance for a K&K. And everyone should know by now the typical 3-10K input impedance of a mixer mic or line input is unsuitable for just about any passive pickup, even magnetic, though again to your ear it might sound good.
The Zoom isn’t on the same level as the ToneDexter for sure but it does a great job as a preamp/pickup enhancer/anti feedback and sound check looper.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
The Zoom isn’t on the same level as the ToneDexter for sure but it does a great job as a preamp/pickup enhancer/anti feedback and sound check looper.
Right, but at $120 vs. $400 for a non-pro like me it's a no brainer.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
Right, but at $120 vs. $400 for a non-pro like me it's a no brainer.
It’s good for pros too. It’s a nice tool.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:36 PM

And there is the Zoom A1xfour with the foot controller for volume or wah or whatever. I have this and have used it a lot gigging and its a great too that gives me very nice acoustic guitar tones with lots of effects at my disposal. There is no hiss or noise coming from it and it runs on batteries or AC. Good job Zoom.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
It’s good for pros too. It’s a nice tool.
Absolutely. It sounds excellent. I play primarily in church - sometimes steel string and sometimes nylon - and the Zoom is going to get me where I want to be sonically at a price I can afford.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:49 AM

I'm a kind of fan of Zoom products for their affordability and features but I don't understand why the input impedance is only 470 k Ohm.
It's fine for active pickups but the "standard" input impedance for passive pickups seems to be 1M Ohm or higher.
The 470 kOhm might still work fine with K&K and possible others but why risk compatibility with all passive pickups.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
I'm a kind of fan of Zoom products for their affordability and features but I don't understand why the input impedance is only 470 k Ohm.
It's fine for active pickups but the "standard" input impedance for passive pickups seems to be 1M Ohm or higher.
The 470 kOhm might still work fine with K&K and possible others but why risk compatibility with all passive pickups.
Given the price, maybe their target market is the less expensive guitars with active pickups like the Fishman Sonitone or Sonicor.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
It has two other selectable impedance options (but it uses up an effects block). They have most pickups covered.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:14 PM

Would this pair well with an active soundhole pickup, specifically the baggs m1A?

Also, for a person who has never owned a pedal at all, is is pretty easy to use, or easily picked up?
Old 11-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paymerick View Post
Would this pair well with an active soundhole pickup, specifically the baggs m1A?

Also, for a person who has never owned a pedal at all, is is pretty easy to use, or easily picked up?
There is a setting for magnetic pickups and it has a computer editor. It would be a great ‘first pedal’.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
There is a setting for magnetic pickups and it has a computer editor. It would be a great ‘first pedal’.
I appreciate it!
Old 11-22-2019, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

I'm having a 'mid' life crisis with my Martin OM1-GT and G3n - can anyone tell me how the Fish, Baggs and Bone EQs shape up on the A1 Four and would they be an answer to my missing mids?

I've been using the various EQs in the G3n, but even taking the EQ to extremes, they scoop the mids to the point of not being audible in playback (looping)... and I'm attacking the D/G strings plenty.

I wouldn't describe the mids as naturally scooped at all on the Martin, it's a very balanced guitar, especially for a Martin.

Thanks, if anyone can comment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification