The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-27-2019, 10:23 AM

Default Baggs Para DI versus the Venue DI

Besides the Venue DI having the tuner and boost switch, are there any other differences in the guts and sonic capabilities of these two?

Also, for those of you that have used both, which one do you prefer and why?
Old 10-27-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
Besides the Venue DI having the tuner and boost switch, are there any other differences in the guts and sonic capabilities of these two?

I have both and have liked both but they are also different generations of preamps intended for different applications. The Para works really well and is phantom power-able, which is great. The EQ works well and it has plenty of gain and output available. However, it doesn’t have the headroom (in my opinion) for active pickups and works best with passive USTs and mags. It was originally designed for the LB6 and the two definitely go very well together.

The Venue is more powerful, has the input headroom for active pickups, a more detailed EQ with re-centered frequencies, and a boost. It probably sounds more “neutral” than the Para which often sounds “warm.” Both are great but if I was using, say, a Baggs Anthem or M80, I’d use the Venue. If I had a passive LB6 or M1, I’d go Para.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-27-2019, 12:39 PM

The para can be used with active pickups because I've seen several pro's that use active pickups with the para di. I use my Taylor guitars with ES2 system with a para di. The Venue sounds about the same as the para di. The Venue runs off 9 volts whereas the Para di is phantom or battery, which a 9 volt input should have added already as many years as the Para di has been in production. I've also run the Session DI with them. The only thing that irks me is no 9 volt input on the Pars DI (which can be had for $100 used), so the Venue gets the win.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I have both and have liked both but they are also different generations of preamps intended for different applications. The Para works really well and is phantom power-able, which is great. The EQ works well and it has plenty of gain and output available. However, it doesn’t have the headroom (in my opinion) for active pickups and works best with passive USTs and mags. It was originally designed for the LB6 and the two definitely go very well together.

The Venue is more powerful, has the input headroom for active pickups, a more detailed EQ with re-centered frequencies, and a boost. It probably sounds more “neutral” than the Para which often sounds “warm.” Both are great but if I was using, say, a Baggs Anthem or M80, I’d use the Venue. If I had a passive LB6 or M1, I’d go Para.
All good. I'm using the K&K pick ups.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
All good. I'm using the K&K pick ups.
Yeah, I think you’d like the Venue better for the K&K. Very adjustable and won’t be as warm as the PADI.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-27-2019, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

If you can borrow both to try out you can get a better sense of how well your instrument’s sound comes through. Having had both, I’ve always preferred the Venue which (to me) provides more options, it is more expensive if $$ is a consideration (if you’re considering a Venue, I’ve got one I’m considering selling)
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 11-15-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
If you can borrow both to try out you can get a better sense of how well your instrument’s sound comes through. Having had both, I’ve always preferred the Venue which (to me) provides more options, it is more expensive if $$ is a consideration (if you’re considering a Venue, I’ve got one I’m considering selling)
I own a Venue. I'm just trying to determine which pedal I prefer. Thanks for the offer. Please PM me because if I keep my Venue DI my friend will be wanting to purchase one.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:

Sidetracking a little, I've had both & even though the Venue has two bands of Parametric(right?) I'm adding another to compare...I'd take the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ/DI over both. YMMV of course.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

I have the Venue. Great EQ and great Boost. Tuner meh. If you are thinking about it because of the tuner... hmmm.

It’s great with my Baggs M1 passive. However, I always got better sound with my K&K guitars and a Fire Eye Red Eye. Anyhow, as I have my J45 coming back soon With a K&K, I’ll certainly try to dial it in better with the Venue. I foolishly sold the Fire Eye.

Let me know what settings seem to work with the Venue and your K&K? My guitars always ran bass and mid hot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification