The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-15-2022, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I did not buy that equipment thinking about what I might get out of it monetarily in the years to come. Creating Music gives me such great fulfillment. And that is why I purchased it.
And this then is the crux of the matter. Since we are all different in what matters to us in terms of what we want out of things purchased in our pursuit of enjoyment, and all different on how we assign priority about what we are willing to spend in that pursuit ..
There is great value in doing what you are doing, asking peoples opinion about what might be a good value to accomplish this or that type of work flow etc.
And great value in people offering there personal opinions on what they think will accomplish that.
But unfortunately blanket declarations (based on applying personal criteria of value ) that this or that item is overkill,, or this or that basic item, is all any home enthusiast needs,,, is specious superfluous nonsense., the same nonsense as saying "if you don't buy this $10k custom guitar you are wasting your money" --two sides of the exact same coin.

Quote:
Yes, you are 100% percent right. I have so much to learn. And that is why I said in a previous post that I am now willing to wait 3 to 6 months before purchasing a Mac Studio with MI MAX
That being the case I would then also watch to see if Apple actually does bring out an upgraded Mac mini with M1 Pro or M1 Max chip (as some are suggesting) If the potential price predictions are close it could be some $500 to $700 less

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-15-2022 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Some things in life need to be transactional; others need not. If some activity brings you joy, that's the return on your investment.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-15-2022, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
That being the case I would then also watch to see if Apple actually does bring out an upgraded Mac mini with M1 Pro or M1 Max chip (as some are suggesting) If the potential price predictions are close it could be some $500 to $700 less
When is the next Apple announcement for new stuff?

Seems like upgrading the Mini to MI Pro chip would be of asset to many. As you said less cost than the studio and still greater performance. But if they upgrade the mini to MI Max chip, seems like that would be pretty close to the Studio with MI max chip? From a marketing standpoint, doesn't seem a great option for a company to take.

The true value of waiting(for myself)....is so that Monterey and MI chips become fully compatible with most VI's & Plug ins. Hopefully that would mean less work for myself getting the new system up and correctly working.

However, if I can save some money..then that would be great to.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
When is the next Apple announcement for new stuff?
I'm seeing June getting tossed about for that.

YouTube
Old 03-15-2022, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm seeing June getting tossed about for that.
Yes the summer event last year was in June, and what I have seen that is mentioned for possible new Mac Pro if not then Nov. ??? ....

However there are also some prognosticators that think the next Mini will be when Apple introduces the M2 chips which in the base configuration is likely to simply be a more powerful version of the current M1 and would place it between the M1 and M1 Pro chips performance wise. ....So it will be interesting to see who is actually correct..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 03-15-2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes the summer event last year was in June, and what I have seen that is mentioned for possible new Mac Pro if not then Nov. ??? ....

However there are also some prognosticators that think the next Mini will be when Apple introduces the M2 chips which in the base configuration is likely to simply be a more powerful version of the current M1 and would place it between the M1 and M1 Pro chips performance wise. ....So it will be interesting to see who is actually correct..
If they do the Mini update and not the Mac Pro update, that would mean the Mini would have gotten TWO updates in the Silicon Era before Apple's flagship computer has even gotten one. I ask you... is that any way to run a business?

YouTube
Old 03-16-2022, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If they do the Mini update and not the Mac Pro update, that would mean the Mini would have gotten TWO updates in the Silicon Era before Apple's flagship computer has even gotten one. I ask you... is that any way to run a business?
Sorry my bad communication wise .
I meant to say the rumors I have seen/read are like the Mac Pro in June and (IF) there is to be an upgraded Mini if not June then possibly Nov

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-16-2022, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry my bad communication wise .
I meant to say the rumors I have seen/read are like the Mac Pro in June and (IF) there is to be an upgraded Mini if not June then possibly Nov
Ahh... that would make more sense.

YouTube
Old 03-16-2022, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ahh... that would make more sense.
Yes but hard to know exactly what Apple will do ???? I think the Mac Studio box format was a surprise to everyone ....

Hard to tell exactly where they are in development
If they are indeed going to bring out an M2 chip this year and if some super upgrade option with it might be in the works for a new Mac Pro

This guy thinks they will and he thinks they may just either do two M1 Ultras put together for a Quad chip or maybe (since he says Apple said the M1 Ultra was "the last" M1 chip).... even do a new M2 in single (For a base mini and 24" iMac , and double, and maybe a Quad..or Ultra Extreme

For anybody who may not know the A14 and A15 chips he mentions,,, are what Apple uses in there Mobil iOS products

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-16-2022 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If they are indeed going to bring out an M2 chip this year and if some super upgrade option with it might be in the works for a new Mac Pro
If they bring out the M2 Mac Pro in June, I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing M2 versions in the rest of the lineup.

YouTube
Old 03-16-2022, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If they bring out the M2 Mac Pro in June, I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing M2 versions in the rest of the lineup.
Good question

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-16-2022, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good question
For music studio use, the increase in single core performance of the M2 might be something worth waiting for if one wasn't pressed to make a move too quickly, provided the units are priced within reach ...and that could be the case because I think it's not hard to argue that the dollar-to-computer power value of Apple computers has never been greater. If the predictions in the last video you posted are close to accurate, Apple is going to have AMD and Intel machines eating dust for a while as they work to catch up.

I'm a little jealous of anyone who is putting together a home studio for the first time. They can get an incredible computer for $3K or less that will be much more capable today than was the G3 I bought 20 years ago in its day. I think I spent about $3K on the G3. In today's dollars, that $3K is worth about $4800 (according to a couple of inflation calculators I found online). So for about 60% of the money, they'll get tremendously higher computing value and it will likely be many years before they find their Mac Studio w/ the M1 Max chip starts to struggle under the demands of the software they're using.

YouTube
Old 03-17-2022, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
For music studio use, the increase in single core performance of the M2 might be something worth waiting for if one wasn't pressed to make a move too quickly, provided the units are priced within reach ...and that could be the case because I think it's not hard to argue that the dollar-to-computer power value of Apple computers has never been greater. If the predictions in the last video you posted are close to accurate, Apple is going to have AMD and Intel machines eating dust for a while as they work to catch up.

I'm a little jealous of anyone who is putting together a home studio for the first time. They can get an incredible computer for $3K or less that will be much more capable today than was the G3 I bought 20 years ago in its day. I think I spent about $3K on the G3. In today's dollars, that $3K is worth about $4800 (according to a couple of inflation calculators I found online). So for about 60% of the money, they'll get tremendously higher computing value and it will likely be many years before they find their Mac Studio w/ the M1 Max chip starts to struggle under the demands of the software they're using.
Yes currently there is so much great gear being offered and the price of admission has indeed come down significantly.
I can't remember exactly what I paid for my Mid 2010 6 core Westmere Mac Pro but I am thinking it was maybe $3500 It was 24 GB RAM and a 1 TB and 2 a 2 TB HHD's drives .

I then later I spent another $1k + for an internal 512 PCIe SSD boot drive , and a Dual drive PCIe NVME M.2 adaptor card and 2- 1 TB SSD's for it and an upgraded Metal capable graphics drive...... All toll I am guessing maybe $5k

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-18-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Just got this e-mail from the Production Expert Blog
Prediction a likely M2 chip coming

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...%20-%207798780

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-18-2022, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

And those few of us here who use Pro Tools,,, Avid also announced yesterday that it now supports Monterey and looks like the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle will now also work. Apparently you have to update each plugin separately (kinda a pain) but at least PT will be fully functional on M1 chips
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...ugin%20Bundle.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-18-2022 at 07:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD