The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Default Guild Jumbo Junior...

I've been vacillating between this, the GS Mini (again), and the Martin Dreadnaught Jr.
I previously owned a GS Mini (spruce/sapele), and didn't really get on with it. The Martin almost disqualifies itself because of its size, and it is almost double the cost of the Guild: and then I came across this demo of the Guild. Sold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhKjgqoOKPE
Old 05-04-2019, 10:41 AM

You didn't state what you're looking for. Size, volume, tone...? None of the smaller guitars (GS Mini, Guild Jumbo Jr....) are going to give you the tone or volume of larger guitars. What is the bar you're after? If it's small, you'll just have to accept that you'll have a guitar with the tone limitations of a small guitar which will only be lessened by spending a lot more money on a Bourgeois, 00 Martin or similar. If size at a lower price are the important parameters you're after then the Guild may be perfect.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
You didn't state what you're looking for. Size, volume, tone...? None of the smaller guitars (GS Mini, Guild Jumbo Jr....) are going to give you the tone or volume of larger guitars. What is the bar you're after? If it's small, you'll just have to accept that you'll have a guitar with the tone limitations of a small guitar which will only be lessened by spending a lot more money on a Bourgeois, 00 Martin or similar. If size at a lower price are the important parameters you're after then the Guild may be perfect.
Yes I appreciate that, and I have a fabulous D-18 Standard for my 'normal' guitar. I wanted something smaller I could bring to open mics and use amplifed (the Guild has a pickup), and a decent sounding small guitar just to take around with me, visiting friends.
I like the Guild appointments-bone nut and saddle especially-and I always like the jumbo design. I'm well aware that pure acoustic tone will be compromised to an extent, but it's not a huge concern given its intended applications.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:50 AM

That demo sounds nice. He didn't specify between hog or maple. I'm assuming that was the hog backed one? The price sure seems attractive.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
That demo sounds nice. He didn't specify between hog or maple. I'm assuming that was the hog backed one? The price sure seems attractive.
Yes, the demo was the hog model. I ordered the flame maple version which I'm sure will not sound dissimilar-given both are small bodies with laminate construction. Here:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Guil...EAAAFoxv.P7Dz2
Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Nice! The wider nut width would be a big plus for me ver the GS mini.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:02 AM

I would like to be able to play the Taylor and Guild back to back but there are no dealers close to me that carries both guitars.
I really like the looks of the Guild.

The GS Minies that I have played were lacking in bottom end.
I would expect the same with the Guild.

These guitars have a place but they can't compete with the sound of a full size guitar.
If you get the Guild, please give us a 6 month review.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I would like to be able to play the Taylor and Guild back to back but there are no dealers close to me that carries both guitars.
I really like the looks of the Guild.

The GS Minies that I have played were lacking in bottom end.
I would expect the same with the Guild.

These guitars have a place but they can't compete with the sound of a full size guitar.
If you get the Guild, please give us a 6 month review.
Yes, a small box isn't going to move the volume of air necessary for big bass; that's pretty much a given. The Guild is on its way as we speak, and I'll be happy to give my opinion once the honeymoon is over.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Nice! The wider nut width would be a big plus for me ver the GS mini.
The Guild nut is 1 11/16 according to their website.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion