The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 04-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Joel Teel's Avatar
Joel Teel Joel Teel is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fairhope, Alabama
Posts: 480
Default

It sure is gorgeous, Ryan. What's it coming into the shop for...besides making you and Steve drool over her backside?

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Glad youíre going to make it Doug! Youíre going to love the area.

Hereís a shot of a back of a Guild D-55. In 1968, Guild built a prototype line of 13 original D-55ís. They were of different species of backs through the line, but this one (#9 of the 13 from 1969) is Brazilian Rosewood. Itís a purty piece of wood.

__________________
2017 Two Hands Guitar Co.
000/Concert, Sitka/Brazilian Imbuia

2017 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

1993 Taylor 712 (I waited for over 20 years for the owner to decide to sell)

1995 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (that I traded my Gibson J-200 for in 1995)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 PM
nacluth's Avatar
nacluth nacluth is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,028
Default

Joel, pretty much a full 250,000 mile overhaul. Neck reset, refret, New nut, saddle. The whole she-bang. A friend of ours recently acquired it and wants it in close to tip-top shape. Probably to eventually find its way into a Guild collectorís hands.
__________________
Ryan
Kinnaird SJ - Walnut/Sitka

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

***2019 Stephen Kinnaird Post-Show Sale***
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-19-2019, 09:16 AM
David Wren's Avatar
David Wren David Wren is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 1,814
Default

That Brazilian Guild is a first for me ... what a cool guitar!
__________________
David Wren
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-24-2019, 06:45 AM
nacluth's Avatar
nacluth nacluth is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,028
Default

White Tiger CS in the white.

__________________
Ryan
Kinnaird SJ - Walnut/Sitka

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

***2019 Stephen Kinnaird Post-Show Sale***
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-24-2019, 07:02 AM
Joel Teel's Avatar
Joel Teel Joel Teel is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fairhope, Alabama
Posts: 480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
White Tiger CS in the white.

This is one of my favorite stages in the process, Ryan. You get to stand back and see it as a guitar for the first time, with the accompanying sense of accomplishment.....

.....and then, after that brief moment of wonder and excitement.....the reality of the ďfinishingĒ part of the process sets in.....and I cry!!! Ha ha, not really.....well, maybe a little bit.

This reality is why I was interested in talking to you, at Toms, about the logistics of having someone else do the finishing. Itís not that I donít enjoy doing it myself.....but that Iíd rather be using the time to build the next one.

This is a really cool looking guitar, guys.....and Iím looking forward to seeing her all shiny and strung up.

Joel
__________________
2017 Two Hands Guitar Co.
000/Concert, Sitka/Brazilian Imbuia

2017 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

1993 Taylor 712 (I waited for over 20 years for the owner to decide to sell)

1995 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (that I traded my Gibson J-200 for in 1995)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:14 AM
nacluth's Avatar
nacluth nacluth is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,028
Default

Joel, I understand. You feel like you have built something at this stage, but...then it has to be made it to something complete. Tony does save us many heartaches while we continue building. If his finish wasnít so darn perfect maybe it would be a harder choice, but it is - and itís an easy one to make.
__________________
Ryan
Kinnaird SJ - Walnut/Sitka

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

***2019 Stephen Kinnaird Post-Show Sale***
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-25-2019, 06:41 AM
difalkner difalkner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NW Louisiana
Posts: 744
Default Visiting the shop

I hope it's ok to post this here, guys - seemed like a good place to do so.

A friend and I had the opportunity this week to drive over to Nacogdoches and visit with Steve and Ryan and they are very gracious hosts!

Steve and I both have Gallagher guitars from the same era, '75 for mine and '76 for his, so I took mine for a comparison. Plus, we were able to share stories about our first visits to Gallagher Guitars.

Steve playing my Gallagher -


And he also played my first build (without laughing, I might add )-


And Barry playing a Size 1 Kinnaird with Ryan looking on -


Many thanks to Steve and Ryan for the opportunity to visit a really nice shop and the wonderful East Texas Piney Woods area - it was fun!

David
__________________
David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-25-2019, 07:48 AM
Guitars44me's Avatar
Guitars44me Guitars44me is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mountains east of San Diego
Posts: 3,093
Smile Tony is a FINISH WIZARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Joel, I understand. You feel like you have built something at this stage, but...then it has to be made it to something complete. Tony does save us many heartaches while we continue building. If his finish wasnít so darn perfect maybe it would be a harder choice, but it is - and itís an easy one to make.
I am frequently amazed at the durability of Tony's finish, as well as the beauty and TONE. I have often been saved from my own mistakes and miscalculation by Tony's work. Tough stuff, and so pretty.

Tony, if you are reading this, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Paul
__________________

J Kinnaird RP 12c Cedar/Maple MWedge bevels port K&K
JK RP12c Cedar/Hog bevels port K&K
JK RP12c BCEuro/HRW. bevels, port, K&K
RT2 12c Sinker/Claro/Koa bevel ES1.3
94 LKSM 12
96 412ce

JK Custom #4 soon

FOR SALE: Bamburg JSB Cedar/Braz Cut, Bevel
FOR SALE: 1991 SCGC Bob Brozeman PROFESSIONAL Baritone $5600
FOR SALE: Mid '20s Weiss Style One
FOR SALE: Hiscox LA-GAD Ivory/Silver MINT
FOR SALE: 2010 R.Taylor Style 2 Slot Head 12 Fret $3595
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 2,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
I hope it's ok to post this here, guys - seemed like a good place to do so.

A friend and I had the opportunity this week to drive over to Nacogdoches and visit with Steve and Ryan and they are very gracious hosts!

Steve and I both have Gallagher guitars from the same era, '75 for mine and '76 for his, so I took mine for a comparison. Plus, we were able to share stories about our first visits to Gallagher Guitars.

Steve playing my Gallagher -


And he also played my first build (without laughing, I might add )-


And Barry playing a Size 1 Kinnaird with Ryan looking on -


Many thanks to Steve and Ryan for the opportunity to visit a really nice shop and the wonderful East Texas Piney Woods area - it was fun!

David
David, it was a blast getting to visit with you and Barry. And finally getting to meet. Ryan and I love such gatherings, as they beat working all to pieces. Of course your Gallagher was a delight to see/play as it is of historical significance. And I'm not laughing while playing your guitar because it was/is no laughing matter. It's simply the best first effort to come through our shop. Thanks for bringing it!
Now that you know how to find us, don't be a stranger. Only next time, bring your Laguna band saw with you?

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-25-2019, 01:12 PM
nacluth's Avatar
nacluth nacluth is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,028
Default

David, thanks for stopping by! It was a blast hanging out with you and Barry.

For everyone else, enjoy this picture of a random hole in a perfectly good set of Celebes Ebony sides.

__________________
Ryan
Kinnaird SJ - Walnut/Sitka

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

***2019 Stephen Kinnaird Post-Show Sale***
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Dion James's Avatar
Dion James Dion James is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
I hope it's ok to post this here, guys - seemed like a good place to do so.

A friend and I had the opportunity this week to drive over to Nacogdoches and visit with Steve and Ryan and they are very gracious hosts!

Steve and I both have Gallagher guitars from the same era, '75 for mine and '76 for his, so I took mine for a comparison. Plus, we were able to share stories about our first visits to Gallagher Guitars.

Steve playing my Gallagher -


And he also played my first build (without laughing, I might add )-


And Barry playing a Size 1 Kinnaird with Ryan looking on -


Many thanks to Steve and Ryan for the opportunity to visit a really nice shop and the wonderful East Texas Piney Woods area - it was fun!

David


What a cozy looking shop.
__________________
Dion Guitars
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-25-2019, 08:25 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 2,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion James View Post
What a cozy looking shop.
Thanks Dion! It serves us much better than the old shop.
Though, quadruple the size as we did, we sometimes wish for even more space.

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-26-2019, 07:31 AM
difalkner difalkner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NW Louisiana
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
David, thanks for stopping by! It was a blast hanging out with you and Barry.
It was also a pleasure visiting with you, Ryan, and seeing the fine work y'all do, hearing your stories, and finally getting to meet! Y'all have quite a peaceful setting in which to work there in the Piney Woods of East Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
David, it was a blast getting to visit with you and Barry. And finally getting to meet. Ryan and I love such gatherings, as they beat working all to pieces. Of course your Gallagher was a delight to see/play as it is of historical significance. And I'm not laughing while playing your guitar because it was/is no laughing matter. It's simply the best first effort to come through our shop. Thanks for bringing it!

Now that you know how to find us, don't be a stranger. Only next time, bring your Laguna band saw with you?

Steve
Thanks, Steve! That's very kind of you and it somehow sounded better when you played it than when I play it at home. Probably because it was around all those Kinnaird guitars!

Bring some billets when you come visit and we'll have a resawing session on the Laguna - seriously.

David
__________________
David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Dion James's Avatar
Dion James Dion James is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Thanks Dion! It serves us much better than the old shop.

Though, quadruple the size as we did, we sometimes wish for even more space.



Steve


Funny how that goes hey, we always fill the space we have! I hope La Conner goes well for you folks!

Dion
__________________
Dion Guitars
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:13 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 2,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post

Bring some billets when you come visit and we'll have a resawing session on the Laguna - seriously.

David
Ok, now we're talking! Thanks David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion James View Post
Funny how that goes hey, we always fill the space we have! I hope La Conner goes well for you folks!

Dion
Thank you Dion. Guess you aren't attending this year? At least I looked for your name on the list and didn't see it. We'll keep your spot warm for you!

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=