The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-03-2019, 08:38 AM

Amazing rosette designs to say the least. I like how you cut the rosette to allow the flower to extend into the sound hole giving a 3-D appearance and adding a depth to it.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:01 AM

Wow!

What journey, and so many thank-you's for sharing with the group...

Those rosettes are each spectacular in their own right, but my goodness! the MGR with Tulips. A - Maz -ing. Bravo!
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 03-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Thanks for posting those Tyler! Just beautiful!

And of course I’m curious... which rosette speaks to each of you reading? There’s no wrong answer and someone else’s favorite may not be yours. And it may even change as the builds come together.

I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:17 AM

Of the rosettes the floral one is my favourite followed by the first segmented one. The green burl one is very nice as well, but if I were to order them it would be like that.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaradam View Post
Thanks for posting those Tyler! Just beautiful!

And of course I’m curious... which rosette speaks to each of you reading? There’s no wrong answer and someone else’s favorite may not be yours. And it may even change as the builds come together.

I’d love to hear your thoughts.
The following is my personal opinion of course...
#1 My favorite, I like how the design feels "complete". The ebony was a fantastic choice to frame and pop the burl against the contrasting background. Simple and like you said....classy. I personally like things neat and tidy, designs with rhythm and repetition.
#2 My least favorite of the three. The color choice is fantastic although I could see some challenges throughout the build tying that color into the scheme. Maybe with the rosette, wedge and head plate? The rosette (again to me) seems incomplete and not making me want to seek more. Carries the "less is more" concept for sure.
#3 I like this design more than #2 for the previous stated reasons. Very nice design, a bit ornate for my tastes. Again, carry the floral theme through the body wedge and head plate, maybe a back strip or even random locations and you would have a winner. I like the color, very vibrant and lends itself to a "floral theme" or thoughts of one. Also made me think of "retro" or art deco.

Giving my opinion on here of another's work, especially someone this talented seems sacrilegious, like I might know better. But I understand the context of the question being asked, so I jumped in. Thanks for including the readers on this post, makes it more interactive and let the readers feel more like they are a "part of the build" Thank you.

Craig
Old 03-03-2019, 10:02 PM

2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 03-05-2019, 11:31 PM

ut oh.....did I kill the party?

Craig
Old 03-06-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganes View Post
ut oh.....did I kill the party?

Craig
lol not at all! Honest feedback is very important and I appreciate your post. I do not take offense to anyone's opinion and it actually helps. If everyone just loved everything, it would make it harder to progress and push ideas further and evolve toward something new or even better.

I am trying to get 5 guitars done currently so I'm a bit busy at the moment but the plan is to unveil these three guitars at the Artisan show in a little over a month. We are trying to pace the content so that by the time all the pics are in the thread it will be time for the show. Hopefully those on the forum who are attending Artisan will be able to come check out the guitars for themselves and report back to the thread with their personal experience!

Ill have some more pics up later tonight.

-Tyler
Old 03-06-2019, 02:09 PM

whew!......being a newbie, thought I might have broken some unwritten Jedi rule
Old 03-06-2019, 02:58 PM

How'd you bend the ebony around the lily?

As for pics, I understand the AGF app works well, and for sure the Tapatalk app lets you upload a pic as easy as FB or IG...
Old 03-06-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
How'd you bend the ebony around the lily?

As for pics, I understand the AGF app works well, and for sure the Tapatalk app lets you upload a pic as easy as FB or IG...
For this rosette, I glued up an ebony plug and inlaid it into the top. From there I came back in and cut the middle of the plug out leaving a .07" boarder around the sound hole to create the binding. Bending that curve with ebony would be a nightmare if its even possible.

Thanks for the photo input. Ill give the forums image hosting capabilities a shot with my next post!

-Tyler
Old 03-06-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinsT View Post

Thanks for the photo input. Ill give the forums image hosting capabilities a shot with my next post!

-Tyler
Maybe consider moving the existing pictures elsewhere too? I can't see any of them! :-(
Old 03-06-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Maybe consider moving the existing pictures elsewhere too? I can't see any of them! :-(
Must be a problem on your end, they all display for me and many folks have made comments so they must be seeing them as well???
Old 03-06-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I'm gonna weigh in on the rosette and say my favorite is the minimalist one for the macassar guitar. The subtlety of that one just appeals to me. Really looking forward to seeing how similar elements will be incorporated into the rest of the guitar.

But all of the designs are stellar though--it was a difficult choice!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 PM

Okay time to get some more pics up. Lets talk about sides and rimset construction.

I laminate my sides. A standard side thickness is going to be right around .075" to .080". The outer layer of my sides is .060" and that is reinforced by two more .030" layers so final thickness comes in right around .120" or just under 1/8th of an inch. Yes, this adds weight but benefits are significant enough that I wouldn't want to build any other way. When I was initially testing laminated sides for myself, I was actually able to stand on 1 side (supported at the head and end block to prevent flattening) and it held me at 170lbs with no cracks or signs of failure. Necessary? maybe not, I do not recommend standing on your completed guitar, but it is nice to know that the strength is there in case of an unfortunate impact. A flexible rimset also has the potential to take energy from the top and make the system less efficient so keeping the sides as still as possible through laminating is probably a good idea in my build method.

I always try to nail the seem at the lower bout. If I don't have to use an end wedge to hide a bad join, I would prefer not to. Here is the brazillian join:

Sometimes though, the grain just does not line up no matter how you shift it. In this case the join on the Macasser is tight but the grain lines do not meet in an appealing way so I will take care of this with a decoration later.

Side interior reinforcements

And finally, three complete rimsets ready to accept top and back plates!

-Tyler

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop