The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Adding a second output jack

Hi, all. I've been enjoying lurking and reading for a while and want to start by saying thanks for that. This is a great forum.

I have a Fishman Rare Earth Blend that I'd like to add as a second pickup to a Taylor 314. I like some things about the ES it came with but my ears the sound isn't nearly as good, and I like the look of a soundhole pickup. I'm not sure how to go about adding a second output jack, though. Better to put it next to the existing one in the tailstock or go through the sidewall a few inches "south" of the current one?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:43 AM

If you are not going to use the ES system you can buy an aftermarket replacement end pin enclosure. Install the Fishman in it and you’re good to go.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM

No question that would be easiest and quickest and gentlest on the guitar. I like the idea of having both available if possible, though.

Are endpin jacks through the sidewall still done? I remember seeing those on a few guitars a couple decades back when I was in college but I can't recall anything other than jacks through the tailstock more recently. Which (assuming that vastly unscientific survey of what I think I remember is accurate) makes me think that running the jack through the thinner wood caused problems.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRaspy View Post
Hi, all. I've been enjoying lurking and reading for a while and want to start by saying thanks for that. This is a great forum.

I have a Fishman Rare Earth Blend that I'd like to add as a second pickup to a Taylor 314. I like some things about the ES it came with but my ears the sound isn't nearly as good, and I like the look of a soundhole pickup. I'm not sure how to go about adding a second output jack, though. Better to put it next to the existing one in the tailstock or go through the sidewall a few inches "south" of the current one?

Thanks!
Scroll down and read Wade Hampton's solution in this topic:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=530346
Old 12-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how to go about adding a second output jack, though. Better to put it next to the existing one in the tailstock or go through the sidewall a few inches "south" of the current one?

Thanks!
I've just had a Fishman Rare Earth installed alongside my K&K. The K&K jack was installed as an endpin jack in the standard location, the Fishman I had installed next to it between the first socket and the rim. This is the most common way I have seen twin outputs installed, it means you can bundle the jack cables together neatly with velcro or whatever, like this;

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 12-10-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
...Are endpin jacks through the sidewall still done? I remember seeing those on a few guitars a couple decades back when I was in college but I can't recall anything other than jacks through the tailstock more recently. Which (assuming that vastly unscientific survey of what I think I remember is accurate) makes me think that running the jack through the thinner wood caused problems.
Adding a jack in an unsupported side is a very bad idea, particularly if using straight vs riht angle plug cables. The load applied to the thin wood from stepping on a plugged-in cable while in motion or just moving the guitar can tear that jack right out. If you add a reinforcement block inside (at least 1/4" thick, at least approximately 2" X 2", matching the curvature) to the area that will help. But you already have a nice tail block installed, which is where I would add the jack if I wanted the oddity of two output jacks. When I added a second pickup to my archtop I used a stereo (TRS) jack - mag pickup on the tip, piezo on the ring. Output through a TRS plug into a Baggs MixPro which allows me to select either pickup individually or blend them.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Adding a jack in an unsupported side is a very bad idea, particularly if using straight vs riht angle plug cables. The load applied to the thin wood from stepping on a plugged-in cable while in motion or just moving the guitar can tear that jack right out.
Makes sense. That must be why that spot's gone by the wayside. Has a cool electric guitar look but might also wreck the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
When I added a second pickup to my archtop I used a stereo (TRS) jack - mag pickup on the tip, piezo on the ring. Output through a TRS plug into a Baggs MixPro which allows me to select either pickup individually or blend them.
Man. That's such a simple, good idea. I'm mad at myself for not thinking of it. The ES jack is TRS already so you can plug in a TRS-XLR cord and run a balanced signal, which I never do. It should be pretty straightforward to wire the RE into the ring and bypass this whole "where to drill another hole in my guitar" question. Thank you, Mando!
Old 12-10-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
I've just had a Fishman Rare Earth installed alongside my K&K. The K&K jack was installed as an endpin jack in the standard location, the Fishman I had installed next to it between the first socket and the rim.
That's a really clean look. And nice video work. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Makes sense. That must be why that spot's gone by the wayside. Has a cool electric guitar look but might also wreck the guitar.

Man. That's such a simple, good idea. I'm mad at myself for not thinking of it. The ES jack is TRS already so you can plug in a TRS-XLR cord and run a balanced signal, which I never do. It should be pretty straightforward to wire the RE into the ring and bypass this whole "where to drill another hole in my guitar" question. Thank you, Mando!
The Taylor TRS jack with the ES1 system is balanced, if you disconnect one of the leads (to hook up the other pickup to the contact), you may get noise/hum.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
The Taylor TRS jack with the ES1 system is balanced, if you disconnect one of the leads (to hook up the other pickup to the contact), you may get noise/hum.
That makes sense, but I almost never use a TRS cable with it now. I generally use the TS cable and DI/preamp box I used before buying the Taylor (force of habit and whatnot). I've used a TRS-XLR cable a few times to run it straight into the board and I don't notice any sound difference (although the balanced signal is definitely a little louder). If I recall correctly, the ES manual that came with the guitar said it could be used either way.

My expertise on these things is very small indeed, though, and maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. Rewiring the ring lead to connect to a second pickup should be the same as using a TS cable with it now, correct?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification