The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2019, 10:50 PM

Brings back memories... Never owned one but I remember them as well as the Framus brand from Germany , Built like tanks .

Martin OM-21 (2010)
Gibson J-35 (2017)
Old 04-07-2019, 03:06 AM

Default Eko Mia 018

To answer your original question, I own an Eko Mia 018. In this case the 12 string version. I consider it to be good value for money (approx. £250). I bought it on the basis of the Fast Lok system, which enables the neck to tilt to adjust the action. In addition, the neck can be easily removed for shimming and it also has a height adjustable bridge. The sound is reasonable for a small bodied guitar in this price range. It also has a Fishman Presys Blend pickup fitted as standard.
These models were designed in collaboration with a guitarist named Massimo Varini and there are several videos on You Tube. (Search using his name, or Fast Lok)
Other comments refer to the seventies Ekos. I have owned two over the years and I think that the observations have been very fair. They were solidly built and good value for money. The 12 string versions had a different feel to many others, due to the zero fret, which effectively drops the height of the octave strings on EAD &G. I believe that Jimmy Page may have owned one.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:44 AM

This young man played the heck out of whatever he got his hands on.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

The modern company Eko has a broad range of acoustics, from solid top to all woods, with interesting innovations. In shops here in Italy, I usually see the lower-end models, which seem to be well made and good value. There are videos on Youtube from the 2019 winter NAMM with Massimo Varini (who also does TrueFire courses) presenting several new acoustics.

The Italian and English websites are not the same, with the Italian site offering both Eko's own products and others (like Martin) where they seem to be an importer or distributor.

Italian (made in Italy model):
https://www.ekomusicgroup.com/it/chi...taly#correlati

English site:
https://www.ekoguitars.it/en/materials
Old 04-07-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Happened to stumble onto this rather enthusiastic review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6azkMX1-0

Don
Dave, bless him, is enthusiastic about everything he reviews!
Old 04-07-2019, 05:39 AM

Eko Ranger 6 with bolt-on neck and adjustable saddle (via screws) was my first acoustic guitar in the 70s. I don't recall what ever happened to it but I learned to play on it pretty well.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-07-2019, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

A link way back in this thread is dead, so perhaps this will help...

https://www.fetishguitars.com/eko/eko-ranger/

What I find hard to believe has gone unmentioned, is the use by a certain famous lad from Liverpool, during a sequence in their second movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfON7S1mP2Q

To be fair, only time one is seen in that groups hands...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lennon-framus-hootenanny.jpg (44.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: png hootananny.png (275.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Bill Ashton; 04-08-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:11 AM

I am an Italian now living in the States, but I lived in Italy for the first 38 years of my life. And, as almost every Italian at that time, when I wanted to start playing both acoustic and electric guitars I ended up with EKO. The problem is that, decades ago, cheap guitars were really unplayable. No CNC machines, no low labor cost from China. A cheap guitar was really a cheap guitar. In materials, in sound, in manufacturing. These were the EKOs.
The problem was less noticeable with the EKOs electric, of course, because you could always tweak the amp controls. But the EKOs acoustic were, in my opinion, mediocre instruments. However, there was not much choice 50 years ago if you wanted an inexpensive guitar.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Bump, for images shown above.

Across all the Beatles sites, this is supposed to be an EKO, but looking at it now, I have to wonder..perhaps it is not a "Ranger?"
Old 04-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Bill, thatís not an Eko that Lennonís playing in that photo, but a Framus. He and Paul and George might have crossed paths with an Eko guitar or two in the earliest part of their careers, but so far as Iím aware, they never recorded with any.

If Iím wrong about that, then I appreciate knowing about my error. But if you look at that headstock logo on Lennonís 12 string, itís too blurry to read but is clearly longer than the three letters in the brand name ďEko.Ē However, itís just the correct length for the six letters of the brand name ďFramus.Ē

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Bill, thatís not an Eko that Lennonís playing in that photo, but a Framus. He and Paul and George might have crossed paths with an Eko guitar or two in the earliest part of their careers, but so far as Iím aware, they never recorded with any.

If Iím wrong about that, then I appreciate knowing about my error. But if you look at that headstock logo on Lennonís 12 string, itís too blurry to read but is clearly longer than the three letters in the brand name ďEko.Ē However, itís just the correct length for the six letters of the brand name ďFramus.Ē

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

Wade is correct.
The guitar is a 1964 Framus Hootennany.

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
2011 - Martin JDP 2 #71/71
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2012 - Huss & Dalton MJ Custom
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
Old 04-09-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ashton View Post
A link way back in this thread is dead, so perhaps this will help...

https://www.fetishguitars.com/eko/eko-ranger/

What I find hard to believe has gone unmentioned, is the use by a certain famous lad from Liverpool, during a sequence in their second movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfON7S1mP2Q

To be fair, only time one is seen in that groups hands...
Duplicate.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:09 AM

Another owner of a 1980 ranger 6 here. Bought in Belgrade....
MIne has been set in nashville tuning for the last decade and still works and sound like a charm..
1953 Gibson Es125
1972 Gibson Es335
1980 Eko ranger 6
Old 04-09-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Good work gentlemen, thanks for correcting me!

Now I will just go slither off and hide in my embarassment
Old 04-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Chris is from the UK, where Eko guitars were always far more available than they were here in North America. So far as I'm aware, there was never any commercial distribution for Eko instruments in the United States and Canada - if there was, it was very short-lived.

From what I've been able to piece together, Eko was essentially the Italian equivalent of Framus in West Germany, in that both firms made a wide array of instruments at a number of different price points. The vast majority of Eko guitars that I've encountered must have been entry level instruments, because they were pretty close to being junk.

My friend Karl who plays bass with me was a Navy brat and spent part of his high school years in Naples, Italy, where he joined his first rock band playing an Eko bass guitar that he nicknamed "the Thud bass." It had no discernible tone, and just went "thud, thud, thud."

So Karl does not wax nostalgic about Eko guitars. But he was a teenager at the time, and I'm sure he got the cheapest bass guitar he could find. There are probably better Eko basses out there.

Still, all of the Eko guitars I've encountered have been instruments I wouldn't want to own. It may be that none of the best quality Ekos ever made it over here to North America, but none that I have seen and played have made my heart race faster or filled me with longing.

Naturally, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Hey Wade and all of you...

I had a OM size EKO back in the 60's. Yes, EKOs were made in Italy back then. I think they were more known for the electrics. That is just my recollection.

Anyway, I think they were an attempt to cash in on the lower end of the market that was SO dominated by the Japanese.

There was a distributor in my area for these. I don't know how wide their distribution was. I think they were the only distributor for the guitars. The company was an importer for accordions from Italy as well. It was LoDuca Bros, in Milwaukee. They opened in 1941.

You could buy directly from them back then, at least locally. They had a large building which served as a warehouse/headquarters back then.

The guitar I had was a red finished simple git. Not a painted, but a stained finish. I don't know if it was nitro or something of a varnish. I paid $35.00 for it. It wasn't bad sounding. I don't know how it was constructed but I would bet it was laminated.

LoDuca Brothers carried EKOs for a number of years. Sort of a poor mans Strat on the electric side.
I had my acoustic for probably 7 or 8 years. I sold it off for maybe $15.00.

LoDuca stayed in business for sometime. I believe they are out of the music instrument and lesson business now. Decendents are in the wine business.

I noticed the reemergence of the brand 6 or 7 years ago. I am guessing they are no longer made in Italy I could be wrong.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion