The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2019, 08:54 PM

Thanks for all of your replies and thoughts. I bent the string when I was having trouble and it worked out good. Then I made this post and watched the link from youtube above with the fellow who is also also agf member and I did exactly what he did when he installed those strings without prior experience.

I can work on a electric all day long. I know the ins and outs of that world but this is all new to me and I appreciate all of your advice and replies!!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

It was once explained to me (in detail!) that the bridge pins ARE NOT what hold the string in place... that it's the sideways torque from the wedge formed between the bridge pin and the slot/bridge itself (like jamming something in a chimney) with the ball end/string pulling against it.

This was to explain to me why the bridge pins don't want/need to go "all the way down" to the rounded top...

To this end, I will fit the ball end into the slot on the pin as I put it in the hole in the bridge, then holding the bridge pin in place, pull up on the string until I feel it "seat itself" against the bridgeplate... then, as I apply tension to that string, I will hold the bridge pin in place while simultaneously pulling up slightly on the string, to make sure it's all seated properly...

It seems a very common misconception to think that those pins are what should hold the string in the hole...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-01-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I have an 87-year old Gibson that still has its original hard celluloid pins.
If it's that old it's got to be worth something- and something more if it still has all the original stuff. The pins in my D35 were just chewed.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Default PreBending Ball End

I check the ball end for two things. Curve of string and smoothness of wire wrap. This is hard to put into words. Using pliers I hold the ball on the curved edges, not the flat, and slightly bend the string at the connection. I place the string into the hole such that the ball is slightly under the bridge and follow with the pin, oriented correctly. The string should slide up and down easily. I pull up the string, it catches under the bridge and the pin is push down firmly. Might be my imagination, but the guitar sounds better this way. I hope that was clear enough.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

One thing that I learned here, and I used to think it was nonsense btw, is to use the same pins in the same holes each time. I lay them out in order on a mouse pad on my desk so they don't roll around and get away from me

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-03-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaine View Post
I check the ball end for two things. Curve of string and smoothness of wire wrap. This is hard to put into words. Using pliers I hold the ball on the curved edges, not the flat, and slightly bend the string at the connection. I place the string into the hole such that the ball is slightly under the bridge and follow with the pin, oriented correctly. The string should slide up and down easily. I pull up the string, it catches under the bridge and the pin is push down firmly. Might be my imagination, but the guitar sounds better this way. I hope that was clear enough.

Interesting. I can see why it may have better sustain.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
One thing that I learned here, and I used to think it was nonsense btw, is to use the same pins in the same holes each time. I lay them out in order on a mouse pad on my desk so they don't roll around and get away from me
I thought about that after the fact when i did it the first time. Next time I change the strings I will try to see if I can tell a difference in the pinc and place them in accordingly.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 PM

If the pins have gotten bent or gnarly, it can seem to make a difference which string gets used with which pin. But by that point it might be a better idea to simply replace the pins.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion