The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 PM

Default Advice for Using a Pick

I always play with my fingers but would like to get good at using a pick while strumming pop songs. There's just nothing like a pick when it comes to getting volume and tone for rhythm. My problem is this. Since I'm used to playing without one, the volume seems to blow my eardrums out when I do. No matter what kind of pick I use or how lightly I strum it's a bit too loud. Also, how in the world do you get the upstroke right? I'm very good at using my thumb for them but a pick is another story. Also, without fail, the pick always turns in my fingers. Am I solely a fingerstylist for life? Help!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 PM

I'm also primarily a fingerstyle player, but like you I've been getting into some flatpicking and strumming with a pick.

I know it sounds crazy, but when I flat pick my Goodall, which is amazingly loud, I use these:

http://www.healthenterprises.com/con...ils.php/id/628

(I'm not sure what decibel rating mine are, but they look just like these)

They only barely change the tone that I hear, but they help protect me from the percussive sounds that I think were bothering my ears when I flatpick this very loud guitar.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 AM

Picking won't come without effort and you need to practice it.

Here's what I suggest for starters:

- Practice your down strokes (6D, 5D, 4D, 3D, 2D, 1D, 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D, etc.)
- Practice your up strokes (1U, 2U, 3U, 4U, 5U, 6U, 5U, 4U, 3U, 2U, etc.)
- Practice your up/down strokes (6D, 6U, 5D, 5U, 4D, 4U, etc.)
- Practice your alternate picking (6D, 5U, 4D, 3U, 2D, 1U, etc.)

Do this for maybe 15 minutes a day until you can accurately pick without looking at your guitar. I worked on my picking technique for years and while it is now more than adequate, I still work to improve it.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:23 AM

Wow wcap, never heard of a guy using ear plugs while playing an acoustic. I'm gonna have to try one of those Goodalls!

Joe, I'll give it a shot. I'll hunt down some youtube vids for technique.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 AM

Based on your description, it sounds like you're at the very beginning of your "picking career"...

I haven't seen you play but I'm pretty sure you sound too loud because you're still learning to control your right hand movement. Just keep going at it and you should see good improvement.

When you gain control of your pick by instinctively knowing where each of your strings are, strumming will come naturally.

Some people find it easier to play a soft pick, especially for strumming -- YMMV.

Cheers,

Joe
Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Try Herco Thumbpicks. I know, I'm always rattling on about these things, but really, they stay on (even with upstrokes-- I play a lot of reggae) and boost your fingerpicking volume as well, AND allow you to switch between strumming and fingerpicking during the same song, which I do in the majority of my songs.

My (old) tunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write