The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-01-2009, 01:46 AM

One more question about the Hanson book. When the root note of the chord is on the 4th string, he recommends plucking the 2nd string with the index finger and 1st string with the middle finger while using the thumb to play the notes on the 3rd and 4th strings. Anyone know why?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
One more question about the Hanson book. When the root note of the chord is on the 4th string, he recommends plucking the 2nd string with the index finger and 1st string with the middle finger while using the thumb to play the notes on the 3rd and 4th strings. Anyone know why?
Hi Fs…
I don't, but Mark Hanson is approachable. Why don't you drop him a note through contact info on his website?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
I'm assuming your confusion arises from being used to assigning certain fingers to certain strings?

There are really no hard and fast rules about this. Indeed, doing so would severely limit your abilities. Especially if you play with a thumbpick or thumbnail, there will be many instances when it is preferable/advantageous to have the thumb play the higher strings. For example, if the bass or root notes are on the 3rd/4th strings as you mentioned, you might want to emphasize it by striking with the thumb. The same applies when there are melody notes played "below" the other strings.

I use my thumb(pick) as high as the first string, and my index as low as the 6th. Everything's good, as long as it helps achieve tonal/technical goals. Back to your specific question, what difference do *you* hear when you use your preferred method vs. what Mark Hanson suggested?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 12-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Probably ease of playing. If you've ever tried the intro to Mr. Bojangles a la Chet, you have a sequence based on the C chord in which the bottom C descends to B, then A, then G, and there's a repeated pattern around the middle C which goes, C,G,E,G,E,C. That sequence on the treble strings could be played with the index on the G string, the middle on the B string and the ring on the E. But that's much more awkward that using the thumb for the G string, the index for the B string, and the middle for the E string. I think the index finger and middle fingers are more flexible than the ring, so on occasions we might switch our standard finger allocation accordingly.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Larry, I may do just that.

MMAAK, it sounds about the same. With a little practice I should be able to do it at the same speed as my regular right hand plucking. Yeah I guess I've fallen into that pattern where I designate a finger for each string.

Ewalling, I think I see what you're saying. Hadn't thought about it that way.

Thanks gentlemen.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 PM

Well I can play Red, White, and Blue Rag except for the F chord part of it. I can't seem to hold that bass note down while doing the pull off with the pinky. No matter how much I concentrate my index finger comes off the bass string when doing the pull off. Annoying. I've had an easier time learning Mckee's For my Father. Oh well, I guess we all have some limitations when it comes to guitar.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Well I can play Red, White, and Blue Rag except for the F chord part of it. I can't seem to hold that bass note down while doing the pull off with the pinky. No matter how much I concentrate my index finger comes off the bass string when doing the pull off. Annoying. I've had an easier time learning Mckee's For my Father. Oh well, I guess we all have some limitations when it comes to guitar.
You gotta fret the bass with the thumb. I know I've said it before, but I couldn't do it at first either. Just keep at it and one day it'll just be there. Don't work on it everyday, I recommend 2 days on it, then 1 day off and don't make it the first thing you do when you sit down with your guitar. Warm up first and work on things you know first.

One more thing, when playing that F chord and fretting the bass with your thumb, there should be no space between your hand and the back of the neck. You really have to hug the heck out of the neck at first.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 12-09-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: 1 more thing....
Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've run through that book, and that's a neat tune. Thumbing the low F on different neck widths takes a bit of practice, but it comes. I couldn't do it at first either on my 1 3/4 necks, now I can even do it on a 1.8" neck, but none of my guitars have a v shaped neck. Is yours?
TB, is the song "I Don't Play My Martin Enough Blues" done with your D16GT?
Great sound if so...
Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymusictune View Post
TB, is the song "I Don't Play My Martin Enough Blues" done with your D16GT?
Great sound if so...
Yes it was, Easymusic, thanks!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
You gotta fret the bass with the thumb. I know I've said it before, but I couldn't do it at first either. Just keep at it and one day it'll just be there. Don't work on it everyday, I recommend 2 days on it, then 1 day off and don't make it the first thing you do when you sit down with your guitar. Warm up first and work on things you know first.

One more thing, when playing that F chord and fretting the bass with your thumb, there should be no space between your hand and the back of the neck. You really have to hug the heck out of the neck at first.
I'll keep taking a crack at it. Have you gone through the whole book yet? When I got it, I figured I would blow right through it. I was wrong. I've been giving the Devil's Dream song a try. Getting that index and middle finger to alternate on the same string feels so strange.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
I'll keep taking a crack at it. Have you gone through the whole book yet? When I got it, I figured I would blow right through it. I was wrong. I've been giving the Devil's Dream song a try. Getting that index and middle finger to alternate on the same string feels so strange.
I went through the songs that I liked from it a few years ago, (Strawberry Curl, Red White & Blue, Flier and Twin Sisters). I have the book out and I'm going to go back to it when I get a chance.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write