The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 PM

Default Andy Mckee For My Father

I'm trying to learn this right and I've learned a lesson. I need to start paying attention. I bought the tab and it gives the tuning for the song, yet it doesn't say anything about a capo. In the vids he has a capo on the 3rd fret. For some reason I just now noticed this. Has anyone learned this song? If so, do you have any tips for learning it? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:00 AM
The Foreigner

Performers don't always play at the same pitch as their studio recordings. Or perhaps your tab just left out that note on the capo. As far as I know, Andy plays it in ECDGAD with a capo on the 3rd, as you noticed.

I never really attempted this song because of that unusual 5th string tuning. Did you manage to do it without having to change that particular string to a lighter gauge?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 11-11-2009, 12:28 PM

It's one of my favorites. Yes, you tune the A-string up to C, but don't need to use a different string (low-tuned strings seem to gain more steps with less tension increase than higher-tuned ones, so it's not as drastic as it might be on the high-E string, maybe?). The same tuning is used for "Rylynn", but there you use a partial capo on the four lower-tuned strings (I sawed off a capo just for that song!).

"For My Father" is not trivial, but it's not a finger-stretcher, hand-contorter or speed demon, so it is accessible to a persistent approach. Just play it slowly while learning and it will come. To my taste he plays it a little too fast and repeats the bridge section too often--the hearer is eager for the main theme to return--so I abbreviate it a bit by returning to the main theme right after the flashy lead-guitar-style break.

Also, you might download the youtube video using your favorite browser extension, so that you can more easily rewind to specific sections you'd like to see him play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Igb5Yors4
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2390

If you have specific questions about playing passages in the song, just post them here (I've subscribed for notifications of posts to this thread). Enjoy.

Last edited by whoa; 11-11-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Performers don't always play at the same pitch as their studio recordings. Or perhaps your tab just left out that note on the capo. As far as I know, Andy plays it in ECDGAD with a capo on the 3rd, as you noticed.

I never really attempted this song because of that unusual 5th string tuning. Did you manage to do it without having to change that particular string to a lighter gauge?
You know what, I'm noticing a different sound than what he's doing so that 5th string may be needed to play it exactly like Andy. I'm gonna keep mine the same gauge though, it still sounds nice
Old 11-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoa View Post
"For My Father" is not trivial, but it's not a finger-stretcher, hand-contorter or speed demon, so it is accessible to a persistent approach. Just play it slowly while learning and it will come. To my taste he plays it a little too fast and repeats the bridge section too often--the hearer is eager for the main theme to return--so I abbreviate it a bit by returning to the main theme right after the flashy lead-guitar-style break.

If you have specific questions about playing passages in the song, just post them here (I've subscribed for notifications of posts to this thread). Enjoy.
Whoa, it's one of the prettiest acoustic songs I've ever heard. I also chose this one to learn because there is no slapping around on the guitar. I can appreciate that technique but it just isn't for me. Although I do plan on giving Africa a try one of these days.

And you've done it now. I'm probably gonna hit you up with all kinds of questions as I learn this piece. How long did it take you to get your pull-offs as smooth as Mckee? I'm in the general ballpark, but it doesn't sound like him.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM

This is attempt> Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?gl=GB.../1/ifKJV1qYuHE

John
Old 11-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy10 View Post
This is attempt> Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?gl=GB.../1/ifKJV1qYuHE

John
John,

That's actually one of the better versions I've heard on youtube, fantastic job. How long did it take you to learn it? How long have you been playing?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:55 PM

How long did it take me . . . to get as smooth as Andy McGee? Ha! As if! (But see John's link above...nice!)

But your question particularly about pull-offs and your statement that you have been playing it without a capo makes me wonder whether your guitar's action at the nut is high (that makes open-string pull-offs difficult because your finger mutes the string between the time the string leaves the fret and your finger leaves the string). Here are some suggested action measurements in case you're not sure:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Stri...up/i-0670.html

Otherwise, again, the way to get this song right is to play slowly and cleanly.

Last edited by whoa; 11-11-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:40 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
It's one of my favorites. Yes, you tune the A-string up to C, but don't need to use a different string...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
You know what, I'm noticing a different sound than what he's doing so that 5th string may be needed to play it exactly like Andy. I'm gonna keep mine the same gauge though, it still sounds nice
Scary stuff, guys!
I have a phobia of breaking strings, though I've only snapped maybe 3 or 4 in my 17 years.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 11-11-2009, 10:36 PM

I wanted to try and learn this song last year and after this thread it's made me want to really learn this beautiful song. Thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 AM

Hi guys

Thanks for the kind words.

It took me about 3 day to learn For My Father and about a month or so to get it as i played it on the vid.

Just dig in and play every day you will get it.

I have been playing forever :-) around 12 years in all but took a break and did not play a note for 5 years.

John
Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 PM

Whoa,

When you get to the first bar that repeats in the song, Andy plays the hammer ons and pull offs with the middle and pinky. I can't get my pinky to do the pull off right. I'm so tempted to use my index and middle finger. Which ones do you use?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:14 PM

Hey, I'm not sure but I think I know the part you mean---the very first phrase of the "verse" or main theme, right? Where you do a diddly thing on the B string (which is tuned to A and capoed up to C)? On the video it LOOKS like he's using his pinkie, but he's not. It's just going along for the ride as his ring finger does the hammer-on and pull-off.

Keep at it!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Hey, I'm not sure but I think I know the part you mean---the very first phrase of the "verse" or main theme, right? Where you do a diddly thing on the B string (which is tuned to A and capoed up to C)? On the video it LOOKS like he's using his pinkie, but he's not. It's just going along for the ride as his ring finger does the hammer-on and pull-off.

Keep at it!
Oh man, I think you are right. I've been doing it the hard way for the last few days and now have to relearn that particular part. I think I'm losing my mind! Thanks Whoa, it's so much easier this way.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:00 AM

Whoa,

Did you find the tempo tricky when learning this song? Usually I can look at the tabs and listen to the song and have it. This time around I'm having a heckuva time getting it in time with Andy. Also, I must be looking at the tab wrong. In his youtube vids it looks to me like he's playing parts when he shouldn't be playing those parts. Anyway, I almost have the first 2 pages of TAB under my fingers. That doesn't mean it's smooth, but I "know" it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write