The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-19-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

hey Ed cool looking amp . I assume it has a suitcase latch top for transport ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
hey Ed cool looking amp . I assume it has a suitcase latch top for transport ?
So, how cool is this?!...It has a two piece latching top! It was built out of an old phonograph case, and the two 6X9 speaker housings latch to the frame to serve as the lid! Now that I have a cabinet for the amp, if I every plan on transporting the amp somewhere, I'll likely remove the speakers from the housings to reduce the overall weight (though this beast is still quite heavy).

Truth be told, my 58 year old knees and back are trying very hard to convince me to just leave this amp in the music room "as is", and get a decent SS Combo (Katana 50?) for out of house applications.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-19-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Thanks again everyone! I have been having a blast getting to know this guitar. Even though it played great for me after a truss rod adjustment, I decided to have my tech do a complete set-up. He recut the nut slots to the exact proper height, filed the fret edges, adjusted the bridge slightly for action and intonation, and raised the bridge pickup a hair. Playability and tone are now totally off the hook!

Despite the 1-11/16" nut width, I'd say the neck profile on this guitar is very "acoustic player friendly", with a more substantial profile than most electrics. I find it super comfortable. With this neck profile (PRS calls it 'Wide Fat'), its 25" scale, the 10" fretboard radius, and the 9-42 strings, it almost plays itself.

Oh, and I am having an absolute blast reassembling an electric guitar rig! Next up...Looper. Rock on.

Thanks Ed. Nice rig you are building there. I reckon you are having a blast with it. I was set on getting an SE 45 when I got a good deal for Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry. I went for it instead and besides being cautious on handling (you know all those reports about the headstock being fragile), it is what I wanted in an electric guitar. I have no problem with 1 11/16" nut width. In fact, I prefer it slightly over a 1 3/4" nut because I have girly hands, LOL. Enjoy your rig mate.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Furch Blue OM-SW
Old 05-20-2018, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeap69 View Post
Thanks Ed. Nice rig you are building there. I reckon you are having a blast with it. I was set on getting an SE 45 when I got a good deal for Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry. I went for it instead and besides being cautious on handling (you know all those reports about the headstock being fragile), it is what I wanted in an electric guitar. I have no problem with 1 11/16" nut width. In fact, I prefer it slightly over a 1 3/4" nut because I have girly hands, LOL. Enjoy your rig mate.
Awesome. Congratulations! The SG Standard Heritage is such a classic guitar. I love the bound fretboard and trapezoid inlays. Sweet! Enjoy it.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-20-2018, 04:41 AM

Thanks Ed.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Furch Blue OM-SW
Old 05-20-2018, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
So, how cool is this?!...It has a two piece latching top! It was built out of an old phonograph case, and the two 6X9 speaker housings latch to the frame to serve as the lid! Now that I have a cabinet for the amp, if I every plan on transporting the amp somewhere, I'll likely remove the speakers from the housings to reduce the overall weight (though this beast is still quite heavy).

Truth be told, my 58 year old knees and back are trying very hard to convince me to just leave this amp in the music room "as is", and get a decent SS Combo (Katana 50?) for out of house applications.
Very cool ..... and Yes I am totally with you on the weight issue (68 here) , So much so that in the almost two years since I got my Supro Titan combo @47 lbs And My Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special @ 59 lbs I definitely do not want to schlep either of them to a gig. So either I will sell one or both of them (which I really do not want to do) because I love the different sound of both them.... Or I may just keep them, and get another head and cab system for any transport duties . I am waiting to hear what the new PRS MT 15 amp sounds like, to see if it might be the go to travel system.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars