The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 AM

Location: Along the beautiful shores of the Mississippi Gulf Coast
Default Top Ranked Youtube Instructors

Please rank the best youtube instructors/performers to learn from.
Mine would be:

1. Privettricker
2. JustinSandercoeSongs
3. Martyzsongs
4. Guitartutorman
5. DanCHolloway
6. Yourguitarsage
7. Dnuts82

"Nothing is more important than this day...."
Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 AM

Personally I thought Justin was the best. He broke things down to a pretty simple level and went slow enough to give me the confidence that I could do what he was teaching.

Marty was good too... but, I just couldn't get over the fact that in 80% of his videos, he looked like he was high as a kite.... like he just took a long toke off of a bong or something, then flipped the camera on, lol.

At the end of the day though, for me, I decided to get a personal real-life teacher. Watching the videos definitely helped me get started, but i found myself forming bad habits that should have been corrected if someone was there to watch what I was doing. I'm already having to relearn some things due to those bad habits.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 AM

Last edited by slinco; 08-02-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Personally I thought Justin was the best. He broke things down to a pretty simple level and went slow enough to give me the confidence that I could do what he was teaching.

Marty was good too... but, I just couldn't get over the fact that in 80% of his videos, he looked like he was high as a kite.... like he just took a long toke off of a bong or something, then flipped the camera on, lol.

At the end of the day though, for me, I decided to get a personal real-life teacher. Watching the videos definitely helped me get started, but i found myself forming bad habits that should have been corrected if someone was there to watch what I was doing. I'm already having to relearn some things due to those bad habits.
Justin being the best...Agree.....I'm also using Gibson's Learn and Master series..So far so good....

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 AM

I recommend BanjoBen1 for anyone wanting to try out Bluegrass. He teaches Guitar, Banjo and Mandolin. Everything from rhythm to lead. No affiliation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cupc...4&feature=plcp
Old 03-17-2012, 09:21 AM

AGF's own Maplebaby, aka tonedr..
Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 PM

While I've not seen the others, as of today, I'll have to chose Justin, he's personable, explains and speaks clearly so a newbie can understand.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 PM

I'm a big fan of maplebaby/tonedr -- he's a great player, his instructions are very clear, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. I've also benefited from several of Justin's lessons, and would say the same for him.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:32 PM

One would be hard pressed to find a better instructor or person than Rob Bourassa. He can do it all!

http://www.youtube.com/user/robboura...arist/featured
Old 03-17-2012, 08:43 PM

1. GuitarJamz (Martyzsongs)
2. JustinSandercoeSongs

These were the two I found myself going to the most. I settled on Marty's GuitarJamz site and then bought the DVD after a couple weeks of settling. His easy going style worked best for me. Have been doing it 5 nights a week for about 15 minutes of practice after checking guitar tune and some warm ups of past exercises. Plus I have a couple finger picking things I am working on at same time as I found myself preferring that style and strumming with no pick between them.

Anyhow....Marty has been good so far. I will give a review after I complete his entire Beginner Course. Wish me luck.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:32 PM

creativeguitarstudio

I feel like I'm getting music classes for free.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:55 AM

Vicki Genfan.

Explaing and showing isn't teaching. Teaching needs a system to work. The worst videos are ones in which they say "now put your 3rd finger on the 4th fret of the B string, then put your 2nd finger on the 5th fret of the A". I can see that, duhh. I don't need you to explain what I am looking at.

A good teacher anticipates the student's questions and has a lesson plan. As a result i have learned very little from youtube, other than how to do certain guitar tricks like right hand acoustic tapping.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 AM

Youtube vids, unless specifically tailored to a student and sent back and forth in a tutorial fashion, are really just the equivalent of a worksheet a teacher photocopies after a student reads a chapter. It's not real teaching.

You can pick up a lot of tricks and find stuff out quickly on youtube, but I wouldn't call any of these people "teachers."

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Location: Along the beautiful shores of the Mississippi Gulf Coast

Certainly a real life teacher seems best (if they are a good one), but it's hard to overstate the usefulness of the internet, and youtube in particular, in learning to play songs, and learing about guitar in general (witness this forum).
I think it's great that so many people lend their time and efforts to "put themselves out there" by posting instruction videos or just cover videos. It's a form of self expression for them, I'm sure, but it's also been greatly beneficial to me to learn from them.

"Nothing is more important than this day...."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write