The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-07-2009, 07:57 AM

Default Need some newer tunes

I need a to add about three or four sings that were recorded in the last five years or so. I've been doing doing a lot of what some would call "classic" stuff: Buffett, Eagles, Jackson Browne, Garth Brooks, Bon Jovi, Bob Seger, Springsteen, Croce, Marley, blah blah blah (typcial beach stuff), but I need some more current songs for younger listeners. Currently I do Soul Asylum's Runaway Train, Uncle Kracker's Follow Me, Jack Johnson's Upside Down, and (when i can't avoid it) Plain White T's Hey There Delilah. Any sugestions for newer stuff that would come together quickly?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 AM

Smile new songs

Hey you gotta come up-to-date with your songs! I'm sure you know that.

I recently played an acoustic gig with two Foo Fighters numbers:
Times Like These & Everlong - crowd pleasers
Then there's Kings of Leon - Use somebody and Sex on Fire

There are load of great new numbers out there

Good luck
Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 AM

Thanks - anybody else? Aren't there any young players on the AGF?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 AM

I would recommend any Jack Johnson stuff... Belle, Sitting Waiting Wishing, Taylor, Banana Pancakes.... Also try some John Mayer stuff... Neon (if you can get it right) Daughters, Waiting on the World to Change.... Also, Dave Barnes has some nice tunes... Hope this helps
Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 AM

Just curious.....

If you play for money (which I don't do, and will probably never do), and you play popular songs like what are being discussed in this thread, or someone else's arrangements (of either their own compositions, or of traditional melodies), what do you do about copyrights and such? I'm guessing it isn't legal to perform other people's stuff, if your are getting paid for it, unless you get permission and pay royalties or something? Right?

I'm guessing that most small bands are not paying royalties?

Just curious.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 AM

I'm young, but I listen to the music that you had in your first post. I don't much care for current popular music...it's all beat and hook and no substance. The country scene seems to be a little better, but not quite there for me.

Keith Urban is good. He's country, but pretty rockin. Also see the Zach Brown Band.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:27 PM

If you can stand it, give a listen to what the age group you are playing to is listening, and cherry-pick a few songs with good lyrics. You can surprise your audience by playing pop tunes acoustically (think of the guy whose name I forget playing Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" on guitar and sold like a million of that).

My (old) tunes
Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
Just curious.....

If you play for money (which I don't do, and will probably never do), and you play popular songs like what are being discussed in this thread, or someone else's arrangements (of either their own compositions, or of traditional melodies), what do you do about copyrights and such? I'm guessing it isn't legal to perform other people's stuff, if your are getting paid for it, unless you get permission and pay royalties or something? Right?

I'm guessing that most small bands are not paying royalties?

Just curious.
The usual practice is the bar has paid for a license to use the material and that covers the right to have artists perform it on the premises.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 PM

How about Nickelback's If Today Was Your Last Day...?

Also Patience by Guns N Roses is a crowd pleaser, but written more than 5 years ago. And there are some classic Oasis numbers everyone sings along to...

For really, really recent stuff, check out the YouTube channel of Guitartutee: http://www.youtube.com/user/guitartutee?blend=1&ob=4 He posts all the latest songs that the young kids want to learn and play. The view counts will show you which are most popular....

Good luck,

Rc
Old 12-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK View Post
The usual practice is the bar has paid for a license to use the material and that covers the right to have artists perform it on the premises.
So how does a bar go about doing this? Is there some sort of blanket licence for basically any popular music, or do they need to submit a playlist or something?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
So how does a bar go about doing this? Is there some sort of blanket licence for basically any popular music, or do they need to submit a playlist or something?
Blanket license. See this site: http://www.bmi.com/gl/license/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write