The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Help with pentatonics

As you can tell by my user cp I'm a songwriter. I would like to know how I can learn to play "just a little" fill behind a person playing a song. I'm not talking about Hendrix, I just wanna be able to noodle behind someone to give the impression that I kinda know what I'm doing. Do I need to learn the pentatonic scales or is there some other direction I need to go. Any help would be appreciated...thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Why not take a few guitar lessons?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
Why not take a few guitar lessons?
Ya know, that's a simple answer and probably the best thing I could do. Do you think a teacher could or would simply concentrate on what I wanna learn or would most wanna start at the beginning?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Ya know, that's a simple answer and probably the best thing I could do. Do you think a teacher could or would simply concentrate on what I wanna learn or would most wanna start at the beginning?
Since you have a pretty clear idea of what you want to learn, I'd suggest that you interview a few teachers and find one that'll get you going in the direction you want. Some teachers can be pretty rigid, others (like me, I hope) can adapt to what the student wants to get in the short-run, though I always have my eye on the long-term.

Bryan
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM

Bryan is right. A good teacher can teach you how to do fills and then some. Hendrix if you want.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:10 PM

if you're learning on your own, the pentatonic scales is a great place to start.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:20 AM

Are there any online Pentatonic scales that can be followed and make sense? Or a book that shows this? I was looking at one today from MI in the store, and it was a little confuising as it showed the dots of the scale, and the root circled, but I was unsure if you were supposed to start on the root or the first dot you see.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymusictune View Post
Are there any online Pentatonic scales that can be followed and make sense? Or a book that shows this? I was looking at one today from MI in the store, and it was a little confuising as it showed the dots of the scale, and the root circled, but I was unsure if you were supposed to start on the root or the first dot you see.
Exactly why a teacher would be much more helpful.

You can start anywhere really. The root just shows you the root. Maybe youtube has some lessons?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:34 AM

I like to champion this guy whenever I can. Justin Sandercoe has a great site which explains things comprehensively and slowly. Here is a link to his page on the minor pentatonic scale since you are most curious about that, but it might be wise to review the beginner's course to see where you fit in.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-00...tonicScale.php

Chock full of videos explaining the why of everything as well as the how to.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 06-18-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
As you can tell by my user cp I'm a songwriter. I would like to know how I can learn to play "just a little" fill behind a person playing a song. I'm not talking about Hendrix, I just wanna be able to noodle behind someone to give the impression that I kinda know what I'm doing. Do I need to learn the pentatonic scales or is there some other direction I need to go. Any help would be appreciated...thanks
Yes pentatonic scales are a great tool to accomplish what you want. However, playing pentatonics behind someone will sound like you are playing pentatonics behind someone and may not give the effect I think you want.

Being a songwriter I'm sure you understand you need to echo the melody the other person is playing or singing - much like piano accompaniment. Or just stay in the rhythm section and play chord accompaniment with chromatic runs between chord changes for that little something extra you are looking for. Running unrelated pentatonic notes to what the melody is doing is done all the time, but, when what the melody is doing and what you are doing are related good things happen. You can make that a little more related by doing the following:

Over the G chord run the G major pentatonic notes, over the C chord run the C Major pentatonic notes, over the D chord run the D Major pentatonic notes if the song has a minor chord in the progression like the Em chord play the E minor pentatonic notes over that chord. As the melody will contain chord tones and the pentatonic scale will contain three of the chord's tones you have a better chance of having related notes coming forth. Now the danger in doing what I just said --- If you are doing all that over the entire chord progression you are providing a lot of single note "stuff" that may or may not augment the solo instrument. I suggest you be selective when you do this. Wait for a space, wait for the song to give you a space for your pentatonic run. You want to echo (augment) and at the same time not compete with the lead instrument. You wanted to noodle behind ---- yes noodling is really what you want -- noodle related notes and don't cross over and start competing. it's a fine line, takes practice.

Pentatonics are:
Major pentatonic = 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 of the scale.
Minor pentatonic = 1, b3, 4, 5 b7 of the major scale.
Major pentatonic over a Major chord progression and minor pentatonic over minor chord progressions.

Here are your patterns:
http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/basic/print.html

Place the red dot that is on the 6th string of the pattern, -- over the note on the 6th string of your fretboard, i.e. want to play the G Major pentatonic notes place the pattern (Major Pentatonic pattern) starting on the 6th string 3rd fret and notes of the G Major pentatonic scale are waiting for you. Want the C Major pentatonic notes start the pattern on the 8th fret, etc.

Have fun.

Last edited by Malcolm; 06-18-2009 at 09:38 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write