The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: You can only have 1 acoustic....short scale or long scale
Short Scale 83 56.85%
Long Scale 63 43.15%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 AM

Default You can have 1 guitar....short scale or long?

I'm looking at getting down to 1 acoustic, and i've narrowed it down to 3 guitars, all 12-fret models. 2 of them are 25.5" scale, and one is 24 7/8".

I'm aware that the longer scale will give more overtones/clarity/volume, but the shorter scale will be easier to play. My only other guitar is a Les Paul with a 24.75 scale, so part of me wants to stick with the shorter scale so the difference won't be as noticeable when switching between the 2. I also know there is the difference in string spacing and nut width that may be larger factors than the scale length.

Anyways. I'll be using this guitar almost exclusively for solo fingerpicking without picks, with occasional singer/songwriter style strumming as i also sing.

The 2 long scale guitars are slightly larger, but not very much. I've played the short scale and really like it and am planning to audition the other 2 in upcoming months.

Just getting some general feedback on short scale vs long scale, esp if you can only have 1 guitar.

Last edited by Mr.Woody; 01-21-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Neither if they are only 12 fret.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 AM

I consider 24.9" a short scale but opinions vary about this nomenclature.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:38 AM

I can't get along with short scale guitars unless they have 'parlour' size bodies.
I especially can't stand short scale Gibsons, and the J45 I would pick out as a particular dislike. Thuddy, dull and lacking in harmonic content are all anathema to my taste. The long scale AJ, however, is as perfect a guitar as you'll find (and it's a Gibson!) Trust me, I've tried to like short scale guitars, but they always lack something. One appalling example I briefly owned was a Martin OOO-28EC; just dreadful, no guts, no nothing!
Give me the projection, vibrancy, volume, sustain and harmonic bloom of a good long scale rosewood dread every time.
I wouldn't agree that the 3/4" scale difference between 24.75" and 25.5" is necessarily going to make the former easier to play. Most of what is described as 'playability' is in the set up. Get that right and a long scale guitar will play as comfortably as any other.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 AM

Short. 1 3/4 nut.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 AM

i would agree with 24.9 being short scale.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
I'm looking at getting down to 1 acoustic, and i've narrowed it down to 3 guitars, all 12-fret models. 2 of them are 25.5" scale, and one is 24 7/8".

I'm aware that the longer scale will give more overtones/clarity/volume, but the shorter scale will be easier to play. My only other guitar is a Les Paul with a 24.75 scale, so part of me wants to stick with the shorter scale so the difference won't be as noticeable when switching between the 2. I also know there is the difference in string spacing and nut width that may be larger factors than the scale length.
Unless you run ultralight strings on the acoustic, it will still be very different than your Les Paul. If you do make it feel just like a Les Paul, it’ll sound like crap because it lacks the extra string tension to drive the top.

I suggest you recognize that the acoustic guitar is a different instrument, and treat it as such.

Go ahead and get the shorter scale. It will be one less thing that is different, but really doesn’t matter that much. FWIW, bridge spacing will vary widely between models, something that an electric guitar player seldom considers.

George
Old 01-21-2019, 10:53 AM

One guitar, two, three or more... I like them all to be short scale (24.9)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:54 AM

I didn't take the poll. At least at this moment, I think if with one guitar it might be long scale*, but I'd definitely want to get a second, short-scale, right away. Both with electric and acoustic guitar they each have their strengths and tendencies, and I don't want one and not the other. The reason I'd say longer scale if artificially I was limited to one, is that can make the longer scale do what I want a shorter scale to do better than vice versa.

*currently, most of my acoustics are short scale and most of my electrics are longer scale. I play 34" and 30" scale electric bass too. In each of those situations I want the choice.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-21-2019, 11:05 AM

Well, given that I have one standard scale acoustic and 7 with short scale, the answer might be obvious.

FYI, I consider anything at 25" and under as short scale. (24" and under as very short, 25" to 26" as standard, 26" to 27" as long scale and 27" and over as a Baritone. But that is just me...")

I also think that a short scale has more to recommend it that just "it is easier to play." I find no lack of clarity. I find them warmer, sweeter, while a standard tends to be crisper, zingier. No lack of overtones in the rosewood-backed instruments, while the Mahogany-backs tend towards a strung, round, woody fundamental.

And if one likes to bend and wiggle the strings...

OMMV

TW
Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 AM

Default You can have 1 guitar....short scale or long?

Old 01-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

...I can’t say which I would keep because I have guitars with scale lengths from 22-3/4 up 26-1/4 and most stops in between....all designed for standard tuning...I like what they do differently and at this point don’t have to choose....if pressed I would likely choose based on how I felt at the moment rather than an acquired affinity for one over another
Old 01-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Martin say my 000-28 is short scale (24.9")

Am I going to argue? No.

I have a long scale D-28 too, but if I was 'allowed' only one, it'd be the 000-28.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
I'll be using this guitar almost exclusively for solo fingerpicking without picks, with occasional singer/songwriter style strumming as i also sing.
Based on this information, with no other variables accounted for, I'd say short scale. BUT if you play in alternative, lowered tuning with any frequency, then I think standard scale is the way to go.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:57 AM

I don't have long fingers, and my left hand is very slowly weakening with age. I
chose short scale.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion