The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
GL, you mentioned them before, in that other thread. Definitely sounds like exploring. Do you go into a preamp or anything before going into the amp? I play a lot of open mics that have quick change-overs between acts, and thus you go right into the PA.

Also, Luva, if I may ask, what guitar(s) are you currently playing with the Schatten rig installed?

Thanks Again,
Scott
You'll definitely want a preamp if attending unfamiliar open mics. A few PA mixers have dedicated instrument channels which are designed to deal with passive pickups, but most PA mixers don't. If you end up running directly into a typical mixer channel, you'll get a very trebly sounding result with most passive piezo pickups.

Albeit, some open mic hosts will have an outboard preamp(s) available to accommodate passive pickups. That's not a given, however.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:09 AM

Default Howdy, Folks: Your Suggestion for Best Acoustic P/U less than $100

So the problem is that you want to take a less valuable guitar to open mics and get really good sound without sinking a lot of money into a pickup that is more valuable than the guitar. Thus you are looking for an inexpensive pickup that still sounds good. Also, you probably don’t want to go to an open mic with extra equipment (a preamp, an extra patch cord, a power supply, an extension cord).

When looking at the same set of parameters, I opted to put an expensive but removable soundhole pickup (Schertler AG-6/S-mic) in a used Martin DX-1 (HPL back and sides, solid top). The only thing permanently mounted to the guitar is the $20 end pin jack and cable. I couldn’t be happier.

Yes the pickup cost about the same as the guitar, but it is removable and at some point when I retire the guitar, I’ll just buy another beater and transfer the pickup. Meanwhile, the amplified sound is stellar and I don’t need a preamp with even the crappiest PA.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 AM

+1 for the $10 Amazon K&K copy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZH1FNX..._cskmCbAZMGYRM

It's gain is quite a bit lower than the K&K, but its an easy install (double sided tape not glue) and sounds pretty good for the price. I use it through a Tonedexter which is a big improvement. I have it as a temporary pickup in a 1957 National 1155.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-21-2019, 02:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
+1 for the $10 Amazon K&K copy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZH1FNX..._cskmCbAZMGYRM

It's gain is quite a bit lower than the K&K, but its an easy install (double sided tape not glue) and sounds pretty good for the price. I use it through a Tonedexter which is a big improvement. I have it as a temporary pickup in a 1957 National 1155.
Rob, thanks, just ordered one. What the heck. What guitar(s) did you install it in?

Thanks Again,
Scott
Old 01-21-2019, 05:17 PM

This JJB with switchjack for $40, plus an inexpensive but good external preamp. I've used JJB pickups in over 20 different instruments over the past 10 years. I can afford to use whatever I like, but the JJB's sound good, are easy to install, hold up over time and most importantly don't affect the acoustic sound. I've gigged for years with both the Behringer ADI21 and K&K Pure preamp. Both inexpensive and work well, either one would be a good choice.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 PM

Scott, the guitar is a 1957 National 1155, which has a Gibson J45 body and a National/Valco bolt-on neck. Gibson and National both had the same distributor at the time and so Gibson provided the complete bodies, braced and bound but unfinished and National used their "Stylist" neck, which was made with a solid bar of Magnesium surrounded by a thin mahogany shell and an adjustable connection at the body, allowing for quick neck angle adjustment with an allen wrench (since they considered the magnesium neck warp proof). These are interesting guitars and an inexpensive alternative to a 50's Gibson slope shouldered dread.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-23-2019, 04:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Scott, the guitar is a 1957 National 1155, which has a Gibson J45 body and a National/Valco bolt-on neck. Gibson and National both had the same distributor at the time and so Gibson provided the complete bodies, braced and bound but unfinished and National used their "Stylist" neck, which was made with a solid bar of Magnesium surrounded by a thin mahogany shell and an adjustable connection at the body, allowing for quick neck angle adjustment with an allen wrench (since they considered the magnesium neck warp proof). These are interesting guitars and an inexpensive alternative to a 50's Gibson slope shouldered dread.
Rob, wow, what an intriguing guitar. Don't believe I've ever seen one.

Sounds like fun,

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-23-2019, 04:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
This JJB with switchjack for $40, plus an inexpensive but good external preamp. I've used JJB pickups in over 20 different instruments over the past 10 years. I can afford to use whatever I like, but the JJB's sound good, are easy to install, hold up over time and most importantly don't affect the acoustic sound. I've gigged for years with both the Behringer ADI21 and K&K Pure preamp. Both inexpensive and work well, either one would be a good choice.
Bart, thanks. Actually, I have that Behringer pre-amp but have never used it. And I have a JJB 220 never installed.

Sounds like a good possibility.

thanks,
scott
Old 01-26-2019, 08:43 PM

+1 on the Fishman Neo D. I use a passive one in my Huss and Dalton OM plugged into my Baggs Venue to boost the signal. Sounds very good!

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 01-27-2019, 01:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosedog View Post
+1 on the Fishman Neo D. I use a passive one in my Huss and Dalton OM plugged into my Baggs Venue to boost the signal. Sounds very good!
Moon, thanks,

scott
Old 01-27-2019, 09:37 AM

For open mics and shady bars with dicey sound systems and lots of background noise, I'd recommend a magnetic pickup. I'd say the Baggs M1A, but its well over your $100 limit. I've been tempted to try the Guild Dearmond Tone Boss pickup, and that comes in under your budget.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 01-28-2019, 02:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistah View Post
For open mics and shady bars with dicey sound systems and lots of background noise, I'd recommend a magnetic pickup. I'd say the Baggs M1A, but its well over your $100 limit. I've been tempted to try the Guild Dearmond Tone Boss pickup, and that comes in under your budget.
Wistah, thanks. I refuse to play such places. I write and play "listening music," lyrically based, and just doesn't work in those kind of environments.

Thanks, though,
Scott
Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, could someone please confirm? Did B-Band go out of business?

sm
Old 02-15-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Hey, could someone please confirm? Did B-Band go out of business?

sm
Unfortunately, they did go out of business.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification