The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Companies and people can be set in their ways. Taylor likes to be a little different. Certainly they have the distribution muscle to get these into the marketplace. The die-hard Gibby/Marty crowd won’t like them but really, do they like anything but a Gibby/Marty?
Old 01-19-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I expect a number of folks who have a bias against Taylor to pile on with lots of criticism.

I also expect that many of those same people would be singing a different tune if the guitar had ‘Waterloo’ on the headstock.
+1

I don’t think this clip does Taylor any favours though.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:05 PM

How many die hard Bluegrass players does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

None! 'Lectricity is the DEVIL!!!!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:12 PM

...but seriously, if the clip were a Martin, we'd say that it would be better to hear it in person. Taylor obviously never sounds good. (much sarcasm).

I'd love to hear one in person. Traditional sounds with a Taylor neck will be tough to beat. Faster bluegrass pieces are so much easier when the action is lower and you're not fighting the neck.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...the Taylor vids make it sound fantastic. So let’s hope this vid doesn’t do it justice. Still, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression...so this less that great vid posted early by AGM is problematic.
Quote:
Yeah, it’s definitely not going the guitar any favors in any regard. If I were Taylor I’d have my legal team on the phone with the magazine ASAP.
I don't think a first impression via a youtube video will sway anyone interested in a new Taylor or a new slope. Taylors legal team is second to none so I think we can assume that this leak was approved maybe even even suggested by Taylor. The Martin fan club here wont like anything new from Taylor, nothing new there. Those of us not hindered by brand loyalty are happy to see something new from Taylor and I will reserve my opinion till I get to play one.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
Taylors legal team is second to none so I think we can assume that this leak was approved maybe even even suggested by Taylor. The Martin fan club here wont like anything new from Taylor, nothing new there. Those of us not hindered by brand loyalty are happy to see something new from Taylor and I will reserve my opinion till I get to play one.
I highly doubt it. The video is noted as "unlisted" directly below it. This means you can not find it by searching or through the AGM channel. I am not sure how someone found this video actually. It is a huge mistake that AGM has it as unlisted but not as "private". These are basic options in YouTube!
Old 01-19-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I went to a Fretboard Journal event featuring Andy Powers last week. I’ll just say this — I’d hold on passing judgement until you see and hear the new guitars in person.

Kudos to Taylor for trying something different.
Same here. Looking forward to seeing and playing one myself.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:20 PM

I am now more curious than ever to hear Martins DSS-15M Streetmaster slope and even more that new Godin line of slopes. These look interesting.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:22 PM

Why would Taylor's legal team object to rumors of a guitar we already know exists? It wasn't exactly the best kept secret AND it probably benefits them for people to keep spreading the rumors. It's obviously not the 23rd yet and we seem to know a good amount about this guitar. I don't think this is a bad thing.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
I highly doubt it. The video is noted as "unlisted" directly below it. This means you can not find it by searching or through the AGM channel. I am not sure how someone found this video actually. It is a huge mistake that AGM has it as unlisted but not as "private". These are basic options in YouTube!

Pretty easy. AGM online edition had the YouTube video as a link.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyvito View Post
Pretty easy. AGM online edition had the YouTube video as a link.
Haha that's hilarious! Looks like they meant to keep it "Unlisted" but didn't make it private, thus it's easily viewed by everyone ahead of the 23rd. Smooth, AGM, smooth.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty partial to satin finishes, strictly from a functionality perspective. You all can bash it for not being gloss and prettier, but I just hope they start offering that finish across their whole line.
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn
Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 PM

I have both satin and gloss finished guitars and like both.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-19-2019, 11:30 PM

Just tried the link. Video is now unavailable.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Why would Taylor's legal team object to rumors of a guitar we already know exists? It wasn't exactly the best kept secret AND it probably benefits them for people to keep spreading the rumors. It's obviously not the 23rd yet and we seem to know a good amount about this guitar. I don't think this is a bad thing.
Even with all the hoopla prior to the Big Day, not everyone is aware of the model.

I stopped in the closest shop to me today, Traverse City MI, 45 miles away Taylor is their major guitar line. I asked about the GP, if they received any yet, or ETA....and the guy looked at me as if I were speaking another language....clueless, totally clueless, and no he was not acting. He said they did not have any info about any new models from Taylor. Guess I am taking a 160 mile road trip to Elderlys in the next couple of weeks.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin

Last edited by Godfather; 01-20-2019 at 06:31 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion