The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Seemed like a very dead flat tone. No deepness, richness, thickness, lushness.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:30 PM

I expect a number of folks who have a bias against Taylor to pile on with lots of criticism.

I also expect that many of those same people would be singing a different tune if the guitar had ‘Waterloo’ on the headstock.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I went to a Fretboard Journal event featuring Andy Powers last week. I’ll just say this — I’d hold on passing judgement until you see and hear the new guitars in person.

Kudos to Taylor for trying something different.
Yep...the Taylor vids make it sound fantastic. So let’s hope this vid doesn’t do it justice. Still, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression...so this less that great vid posted early by AGM is problematic.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...the Taylor vids make it sound fantastic. So let’s hope this vid doesn’t do it justice. Still, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression...so this less that great vid posted early by AGM is problematic.
Yeah, it’s definitely not going the guitar any favors in any regard. If I were Taylor I’d have my legal team on the phone with the magazine ASAP.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Probably a tone that some will like but a bit too boxy for me.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I went to a Fretboard Journal event featuring Andy Powers last week. I’ll just say this — I’d hold on passing judgement until you see and hear the new guitars in person.

Kudos to Taylor for trying something different.
Different? I'm curious to what's different here. They've re-hashed some old ideas from a few different builders. This video looks like it could be a Gibson ad from the 60s. Trying to make a couple inexpensive guitars look unique. Blah.
Steve
Old 01-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I expect a number of folks who have a bias against Taylor to pile on with lots of criticism.

I also expect that many of those same people would be singing a different tune if the guitar had ‘Waterloo’ on the headstock.

I’m probably the biggest Taylor dreadnought fan around and those videos did not impress me in the least. I’m hoping it’s just the recording setup that the people making the video used. That’s not the sound I associate with Taylors and not why I have always loved Taylor dreadniughts.

The Sean Watkins video did sound better to me as well as the recordings on the Taylor teaser videos.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Different? I'm curious to what's different here. They've re-hashed some old ideas from a few different builders. This video looks like it could be a Gibson ad from the 60s. Trying to make a couple inexpensive guitars look unique. Blah.
Steve
Yes, different. Very different to what you’d typically expect a new Taylor model to look, feel, and sound like. I’m used to Taylor putting glossy finishes and pearl trim all over new guitars that are bright, balanced, and lush modern-leaning guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I’m probably the biggest Taylor dreadnought fan around and those videos did not impress me in the least. I’m hoping it’s just the recording setup that the people making the video used. That’s not the sound I associate with Taylors and not why I have always loved Taylor dreadniughts.

The Sean Watkins video did sound better to me as well as the recordings on the Taylor teaser videos.
It doesn’t sound like a Taylor dreadnought because it’s not a Taylor dreadnought.

The Sean Watkins clip is a much better indication of what I’ve seen and heard.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I'll reserve judgement on tone until I can hear one in person. Whaddya all think of the new bridge design on these? Still the general Taylor shape, but a bit modified. I wonder if that will begin to permeate the whole line? Looks a little more like the R Taylor bridge, no?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I'll reserve judgement on tone until I can hear one in person.
Yes but that is the objective approach..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I actually really like the idea, but still not too tempting for me. I think Taylor should have given it more vintage appointments. I know they are not that old of a company, but a more vintage looking bridge and vintage style tuners would have really helped the guitar's appearance match the "less modern" tone they were trying to market.

So many companies are introducing vintage style guitars, I have always wondered if Taylor would tap into this obviously high demand styling.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Default A Nice Change , Finely!

Great looking size, And It's about time! I've been wanting to make a post about Taylor's Bridge's, Wanting them to go to this R.Taylor style bridge on all standard models 500's and up, The original bridge is to large and edgy/ sharp and pointy.
I never judge a acoustic over a laptops little speaker's , I know this will be Good!
Thanks for the heads up

Last edited by GTomcan; 01-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Amen! I applaud Taylor for bringing out a new model even if it’s based on an old body style. I can’t wait to see and play one in person!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
...is it just me or do these two guitars have zero overtones? They sound 100% dry and thuddy, like it's just the fundamental and nothing else. Completely the opposite of "lush" and "rich".
Exactly what I thought. It sounds like a cheap birch archtop from a department store.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-19-2019, 03:25 PM

Interesting! The tone isn't Taylor but it isn't Martin or Gibson either.

I think Taylor wants part of the Bluegrass crowd but they're mostly set in their ways...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion