The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mike View Post
I am fortunate to have a number of vintage guitars that I love to play live with a good mic and just wondering if you have any recommendations for a sound hole, no brain damage solution, pickup that sounds great?
Great videos and valued information!
Peace,
Mike
I too have some vintage stuff that I don’t want to modify. I’ve had a Schertler DYN-G for years and recently tried it again. With a little EQ from my mixer I was able to dial in a great sound. That was in my home though and may not be great in a performance setting? Haven’t been able to get much input from others re the DYN-G. I may grab a mag pickup to try so will be watching this thread with interest.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Thanks! I have tried everything apart from Dazzo, Trance and the LB6. All of which are supposed to be great. I recently got the Fishman Infinity Blend and I love it for what I do.
Here here !!
Old 01-03-2019, 12:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Dazzo Pickups

Hello ,
Let us know if you want to hear a Dazzo pickup
Old 01-03-2019, 12:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Dazzo Pickups

Let us know if you want to hear a Dazzo pickup
Old 01-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Part 3 is up but I will add the time stamps later.

Please like, share and subscribe.

https://youtu.be/AmgmZ9s4HYw
Old 01-03-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I have tried everything apart from Dazzo, Trance and the LB6. All of which are supposed to be great. I recently got the Fishman Infinity Blend and I love it for what I do.
The Dazzo and Trance are great pickups for sure. I've always been impressed with them and for strummers and flatpickers, it's hard to top them.

I use the LB6 and I think it's the best of the mainstream UST-types (tho it's not a UST) but I recommend it for fingerpickers who think the K&K or other SBTs don't have enough string definition. It has more body and less quack than the Matrix or the Element but isn't quite as natural either. It pairs really well with a mic, which is how I use mine (in place of an Element in a Baggs Dual Source) and that's also how Phil Keaggy uses his. Doyle Dykes uses his in conjunction w/a Baggs Lyric and James Taylor runs his through custom images in a Fishman Aura (after it's buffered by a Radial PZ Pre).

It's definitely worth a review but it isn't a good candidate for a temporary install.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-03-2019, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Which Baggs dual source do you use it with?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Which Baggs dual source do you use it with?
It’s literally called the Baggs Dual Source. They have two mixing preamps available, the Dual Source and the iMix. The Dual Source is a more typical dual combo than the Anthem (which uses a proprietary mic and crossover circuit) and would be comparable to the Matrix Infinity Blend. It’s a little bit more robust as it offers a remote to blend in the mic and has an adjustable hi-pass filter for the mic. It also has a phase and mono/stereo switch which makes it pretty versatile.

https://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/imix...-guitar-pickup

It comes standard with the Element (it predates the Anthem) but the instructions tell you how to replace it with the LB6, if you prefer that. Personally, I think the LB6 sounds better than the Element and alters tone less but that’s a subjective take. The Element is a little more responsive but the LB6 is cleaner and I think a well-fitted LB6 will alter the tone less than the Element between your saddle and bridge. Some folks do report change in tone with the LB series due to the micarta saddle but Bob Colosi makes custom LBs with bone saddles for $10 more.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Last edited by MrErikJ; 01-04-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
The Dazzo and Trance are great pickups for sure. I've always been impressed with them and for strummers and flatpickers, it's hard to top them.

I use the LB6 and I think it's the best of the mainstream UST-types (tho it's not a UST) but I recommend it for fingerpickers who think the K&K or other SBTs don't have enough string definition. It has more body and less quack than the Matrix or the Element but isn't quite as natural either. It pairs really well with a mic, which is how I use mine (in place of an Element in a Baggs Dual Source) and that's also how Phil Keaggy uses his. Doyle Dykes uses his in conjunction w/a Baggs Lyric and James Taylor runs his through custom images in a Fishman Aura (after it's buffered by a Radial PZ Pre).

It's definitely worth a review but it isn't a good candidate for a temporary install.
I'm thinking that Doyle Dykes also likes a little Session-style saturation with his LB6/Lyric blend. Why else would they build it into his signature Godin Multiac? I suspect a little saturation can be quite helpful with the thin sounding Lyric.

BTW, I like that you stipulated "mainstream USTs". My sidestream UST, David Enke's Open To Source Sensors UST continues to amaze me. I listened to a player strum the snot out of one of my OTSS UST-equipped guitars last night and I swear it sounded as quack free as any of the many SBT-equipped guitars that I've run sound for. Enke is a pickup designing genius, in my opinion.

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-04-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

8:10 -Thank you for lending an authoritative voice about the Emperor’s New Clothes, i.e., the much vaunted K&K pickup. I tried it and for a long time struggled to like it. I wanted to like it. Your analysis of its shortcomings, however, mirrored my experience.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
8:10 -Thank you for lending an authoritative voice about the Emperor’s New Clothes, i.e., the much vaunted K&K pickup. I tried it and for a long time struggled to like it. I wanted to like it. Your analysis of its shortcomings, however, mirrored my experience.
I don’t understand how people rave about it. It’s good for what it is but it’s hard to use live (for me).
Old 01-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I don’t understand how people rave about it. It’s good for what it is but it’s hard to use live (for me).
It usually has too much low-midrange and bass for my taste, not to mention being feedback susceptible and string definition, but I'm sure different guiitars and gear will produce different results. For the playing I do and guitar tone I prefer, it just sounds muffled. I definitely prefer Trance & Dazzo to the Pure Mini.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 01-04-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I'm thinking that Doyle Dykes also likes a little Session-style saturation with his LB6/Lyric blend. Why else would they build it into his signature Godin Multiac? I suspect a little saturation can be quite helpful with the thin sounding Lyric.

BTW, I like that you stipulated "mainstream USTs". My sidestream UST, David Enke's Open To Source Sensors UST continues to amaze me. I listened to a player strum the snot out of one of my OTSS UST-equipped guitars last night and I swear it sounded as quack free as any of the many SBT-equipped guitars that I've run sound for. Enke is a pickup designing genius, in my opinion.
Yeah, Doyle has a custom Session preamp from Baggs in his Multiac model, which is definitely a good complement to Baggs pups.

And yeah, I definitely think there's a lot of "off the beaten path" pickups that have great tone compared to your standard Baggs, Fishman, or K&K. I used to use PUTW but it wasn't practical enough compared to the more popular options.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 01-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha SRT

Here is another one, the Yamaha SRT in a silent guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im3-...ature=youtu.be

Please like, share and subscribe!
Old 01-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Here is another one, the Yamaha SRT in a silent guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im3-...ature=youtu.be

Please like, share and subscribe!
Great demo! Those Silent Guitars are really impressive. For a long time I was a big believer in using a dedicated thinline like the Chet Atkins, Renaissance, or Silent Guitars onstage as they were far more flexible.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification