The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:34 PM

Thumbs up B.I.G. 2019!!! CHECK OUT what the builders have been up too!!!

Springtime in the Texas Hill country, 45 minutes from San Antonio, 60 minutes from Austin, bluebonnets in full bloom, authentic BBQ, wineries, distilleries, The Riverwalk, The Alamo, Austin's 6th street, guitars, music, friends old and new, entertainment, workshop, and lessons. What more could you ask for?

Well, how about some of the best luthiers in the country, if not the world. Bruce Sexauer, Jason Kostal, Stephen Kinnaird and Ryan Middlebrook, Ben Wilborn, Stephen Sheriff from Edwinson Guitars, and bright new star Joel Teel from Two Hands Guitar Co. all in an intimate home setting. You will have the opportunity to meet and talk to these talented builders, sample their guitars in a true quiet room and really get to know these folks by name. We are also excited to have Gerry Humphrey from Humphrey Acoustic Amps. Gerry hand builds beautifully made custom amps designed to give the perfect acoustic sound and I know have been purchased by the likes of Bruce Sexauer and Jason Kostal! http://www.humphreyamps.com

WAIT, there is more! How about Michael Watts all the way from England. Michael will be there for all to meet as well as giving a 1 1/2 hour workshop for those who sign up and 30 minute private lessons at an extremely fair price. https://www.michaelwattsguitar.com

Still not sure? Come gather on our quiet patio beneath the trees and big blue Texas sky as we welcome fellow AGF member Paul Nichols and his wife Cindy for an afternoon concert. Paul is a singer songwriter/retro one man band who plays over 200 gigs a year on one of his many John Kinnaird guitars. Cindy is a long time member of the San Diego Master Chorale who regularly sings with the San Diego Opera and the San Diego Symphony.

How about an evening concert with Frog and Toad aka Ben Wilborn and Brad Jones. Ben is a wonderful guitarist who of course builds world class guitars while Brad is an amazing fingerstylist who provides the class to the group! Check out https://www.frogandtoadmusic.com/music or their new song called "Soon..." https://www.facebook.com/WilbornGuit...0556248511532/.

Michael Watts will also be playing for an hour in the evening for us! Michael as most of you know is truly a world class fingerstylist. He plays his Kostals with such feeling and nuance, it is hard to believe an instrument can sound so magical. https://www.michaelwattsguitar.com

Two more program updates: Sunday a seminar by Bruce Sexauer on guitar building philosophies, concepts, and methods included with the charge of admission. Also, John Thomas of Kalamazoo Gal fame and vintage Gibson expert will be giving a talk regarding vintage Gibsons and will have his went to war and back Gibson there and will allow us to play it as well! This guitar is the focus of a documentary film and will have been played by the likes of Mark O’Connor, John Sebastian, Ruthie Foster, John Jorgenson, Muriel Anderson, Clive Carroll, Mary Flower, Jamie Stillway, Derek Trucks, and Jeff Beck with more as well! You can play it also!

B'sox International Guitarapolooza (B.I.G. 2019) will be held at our home in the Texas Hill Country, March 30-31st, 2019-perhaps the best time of year to be in Texas. People come from around the world just to see the bluebonnets and we are throwing in guitars, entertainment, BBQ, and drinks to boot. The BBQ is locally made so bring your Texas sized appetite. If your significant others are not into guitars, have them drop you off for the day while they visit historic Gruene for lunch and shopping or perhaps head to the Alamo or Austin. We invite them back at night for the concert and friendship. We will sell tickets to the concert separately as requested.

Saturday runs from 10 AM until 8 PM. Concerts and workshops will be scattered throughout the day with the main evening concert at 6 to 8 PM. Sunday which will be even more intimate, will be 10 AM to 3 PM and will give y'all the chance to make those final guitar and amp purchases or commissions. You know, the ones haunting you all Saturday evening! Come early, stay late, enjoy the food, friendship, guitars, and music. We encourage folks to bring some of your own guitars to let others play and break off into jam sessions. Of course you will need them for the workshop as well. We will provide a safe spot to keep them for you when not in use. Security will be present on site, in person and via cameras.

Tickets will be sold on a first come first serve basis. When they are gone they are gone.

Saturday: $45.00, $70 per couple including food, drink tickets, concerts.
Sunday brunch: $20.00 per person, $35 per couple and includes mimosas.
Saturday concert only: $15.00 (two hour show)
Michael Watts 1 1/2 hour workshop: $35.00
Michael Watts 30 minute private sessions: $25.00
Texas hospitality and bluebonnets: N/C

Travel and lodging: 20 minutes from the house, Hampton Inn and Suites: We have reserved a limited number of rooms at a special rate for the event. Info will be provided on this and flights in email if interested in attending.

Thank you and we hope many of you can attend! Kathy and I will do our best to make this successful and fun for everyone and we expect B.I.G. to become an annual gathering.

To reserve your spot, please email me at [email protected]. Personal checks are preferred, but if you need to use a card, we can make that work. Since attendance is limited we will need your payment by February 15th, 2019 so we can put all the final touches in place. Refunds will be granted up until March 1st. A confirmation email will be sent once payment is processed which will provide all pertinent information. This email receipt will also serve as your ticket so print it out or save it on your phone. Once the attendance limit has been reached, we will happily put your name on a waiting list in case anyone cancels.

We look forward to meeting y'all at the B'sox International Guitarapolooza (B.I.G. 2019).

Tom and Kathy.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-14-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-2018, 07:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wooooo-hooooo!!!!!!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 10-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Hmmm, almost sounds too cheap for the experience Tom!!
Now, just to get the wife interested in a USA trip!!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

This announcement has made it all the way to Italy!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:54 PM

Sounds like fun to me.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Yay Tom! I've been dreaming about something like this happening in my neck of the woods forever! I will be there and drag along all the friends I can collar. Check will be in the mail shortly!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post

Wooooo-hooooo!!!!!!
My feelings exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Hmmm, almost sounds too cheap for the experience Tom!!
Now, just to get the wife interested in a USA trip!!!
Wouldn't that be cool, that would give us three countries represented. Hey, starting in Texas is a pretty cool point to begin a little tour, Northern Arizona, the Grand Canyon, Utah and umpteen National Parks, Vegas, California including Napa and Sonoma for some wine!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
This announcement has made it all the way to Italy!
How cool is that? B'Sox International Guitarapolooza afterall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
Sounds like fun to me.
Would love to have you, this year as a day off and hang out day, next year as a participant???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Yay Tom! I've been dreaming about something like this happening in my neck of the woods forever! I will be there and drag along all the friends I can collar. Check will be in the mail shortly!
Thanks Stan, so looking forward to meeting you and having you at the house. It should be so much fun and another chance for you to hang out with Steve and Ryan....welll, come anyway will ya?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Default B.I.G. 19

Tom, thank you for hosting this top shelf gathering of luthiers and musical instruction and performance. I will email to RSVP for two for both days. My girlfriend Cheryl love guitars almost as much as I do. Looking forward to meeting old friends and making some new ones in the Hill Country.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Tom, thank you for hosting this top shelf gathering of luthiers and musical instruction and performance. I will email to RSVP for two for both days. My girlfriend Cheryl love guitars almost as much as I do. Looking forward to meeting old friends and making some new ones in the Hill Country.
Thanks Doug! It will be great to get to spend more than a couple of minutes with you this time! SO happy you can make it.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:43 PM

Thumbs up

A wonderful event is taking shape. I look forward to being there Tom, meeting you (and other AGF'ers) live, and maybe even getting to try one of Paul N's JK's that he's so happy with. And playing some awesome guitars from top shelf luthiers of today! Recipe for a memorable event...
Old 10-11-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
A wonderful event is taking shape. I look forward to being there Tom, meeting you (and other AGF'ers) live, and maybe even getting to try one of Paul N's JK's that he's so happy with. And playing some awesome guitars from top shelf luthiers of today! Recipe for a memorable event...
Thank you so much, it will be a blast to get to know everyone in person. So far have folks coming from Wisconsin, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Florida, Texas, California, Colorado, and Missouri. No excuse not to come!!!!! LOL.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime event! Or once a year... whichever comes first. Hope you have a blast, Tom.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Glad to see you got this moved to the Custom Shop where it will be seen by more people. I guess I'd better get my check in the mail asap before you sell out! I've recruited a couple of people so far - I'll try to get them to get a move on too.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime event! Or once a year... whichever comes first. Hope you have a blast, Tom.
Thanks Kerbie. Let's hope it is the latter hahahahaha! You know I always have a spot reserved for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Glad to see you got this moved to the Custom Shop where it will be seen by more people. I guess I'd better get my check in the mail asap before you sell out! I've recruited a couple of people so far - I'll try to get them to get a move on too.
Thanks Stan...Keep those Texans coming! We are continuing to keep making it better all the time, but I am pretty pleased with where we are at right now! Come on, it is worth coming just for the music!!!!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Smile This will be a total blast

All the thrills of a big guitar show without having to deal with the big crowds! And held in Tom's home, not an impersonal hall in some giant hotel...

Time to start doing even more of my originals at my senior and Healthcare gigs. Best to be up to speed!!! I am stoked to be playing for this way cool extravaganza ! And very happy Cindy can come and sing with me, which does add to the fun factor considerably.

And I will be bringing one of my WAY Custom John Kinnaird guitars. Which I will gladly show and tell with any interested folks. (Like Andy)

Thank You Tom AND KATHY! for putting this together!

I so look forward to Finally meeting so many AGF folks...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 10-11-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop