The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-21-2019, 06:12 PM

Default Help getting to know the classical guitar market

Hi, I'm looking for some help in getting to know what brands are considered best in the intermediate (750-1500dollar). I play fingerstyle country/rockabilly in the style of Chet Atkins and Scotty Moore. I love playing on my classical guitar (1977 Takeharu) but it has issues that stem from bad repair work and Id like to upgrade. I'd like to commit to playing a nylon string but my knowledge of what to shop for is very limited other than I like a traditional simple non cutaway guitar. any help understanding what brands deliver what is greatly appreciated. I know this is a broad range question but do your best. Thanks
Old 01-21-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

In that price range, recommendations typically include guitars by Cordoba, Yamaha, Kenny Hill New World and Kremona. I might be forgetting one or two. I favor Cordoba and Kenny Hill New World for outstanding craftsmanship and sound per dollar. Kenny Hill (a major California independent builder whose own guitars cost thousands more) designed his New World guitars for manufacture in a China shop he closely monitors and supervises. He also had a hand in designing many Cordoba models. Both those brands have the advantage (as I see it) of using adjustable truss rods. I'm sure if you do some reading of old threads here, you'll learn plenty. Good luck!
-Bob

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-16-2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-21-2019, 09:38 PM

Thanks I'll check those out!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:09 PM

I am relatively knew to this, but I looked at La Patrie and Ortega. They both had models at the lower end of your price range. I ended up buying the La Patrie Presentation. I liked the neck and fret board more. My wife said she thought it sounded better than the Ortega, my hearing is jacked up, I can tell if I'm hitting the right note or not, but the subtle stuff eludes me.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:48 PM

I've heard good things about La Patrie, thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 04:00 PM

One item of note, between the two I looked at, the La Patrie is all solid wood, and comes in around 700.00. The closest all solid Ortega was around 1100 if memory serves me correctly.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:35 PM

Buy second hand. All these chinese mid tier guitars sounds good, but.. not great. Below 1500$ you can find used handmade japanese guitars, such as Sakurai from the 70s, which are concert grade guitars. And we are talking top japanese luthiers. If you aim at less known luthiers, you can find good stuff at 600-700$.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-27-2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-23-2019, 09:13 PM

Really appreciate the info folks. I was looking into the vintage market, at Gibsons specifically , but there seems to be mixed opinions on tbem , mostly being not so good. I'll keep hunting
Old 01-23-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Buy second hand. All these chinese mid tier guitars sounds good, but.. not great. Below 1500$ you can find used handmade japanese guitars, such as Sakurai from the 70s, which are concert grade guitars. And we are talking top japanese luthiers. If you aim at less known luthiers, you can find good stuff at 600-700$.
Solid suggestion for the connoisseur who wants high return for their currency. Japanese standards of excellence apply.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-16-2019 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:03 PM

I second Kremona guitars. One of my students had one that cost about $700 and it had surprisingly good tone and excellent playability. I would guess their upper models ($1200-1800) would offer even better tone. Kenny Hill guitars are very nice, but I've only owned and played his $8000 Signature model, so I can't comment on the quality of his student guitars.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landolaguitar View Post
I play fingerstyle country/rockabilly in the style of Chet Atkins and Scotty Moore.
There is an important distinction between a "classical" guitar and one with nylon strings. From your description, you are looking for a guitar with nylon strings, probably what is often called a "cross-over". I believe what most have suggested so far are "classical" guitars with nylon strings.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:40 PM

You can find some good information at the The Classical Guitar Store in Philadelphia. There is a link for student guitars on the home page... and you can get detailed information and prices from there.

http://www.classicalguitarstore.com/
Old 01-24-2019, 07:15 PM

Thanks very much. Great info here. I have a gibson C1e on it's way, not sure how it's going to work out, if it has good intonation and feels and sounds like a classical I shall be pleasantly suprised

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical