The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Default Nails, again...

I know there have been multiple fingernail threads over the years. I was just wondering if there are any new insights.

I play almost exclusively with my fingers (It’s been so long since I did any flatpicking, I’m completely rusty). I never tried to keep nails before, but I found that I like the sound with some nail better than just flesh. I don’t mean super-long nails, since I do like to be able to sometimes get under the string and snap it. But I like having the option of using just nails to get that characteristic sound.

I’ve tried metal fingerpicks, but can only really use them precisely on one guitar (a resonator, which is my only guitar with a 1 3/4” nut and wider spacing at the saddle.) The rest of my guitars are 1 11/16”, and while they’re fine for fingerpicking with just fingers, I get a little clumsy on them when I use fingerpicks. (I find I have to use just thumb and index, rather than thumb, index and middle, which is what I normally do.). Maybe that’s just a matter of practicing more. I also prefer the sound of fingernails to metal, so there’s that.

I can’t keep nails on my index and middle fingers. They don’t break, but they wear away, leaving a crescent moon shaped groove that the strings catch on, causing me to have to cut and file the nails down so they’re pretty short, and start all over again.

I’ve tried “Hard-as-Nails”, and that might have helped a little, or maybe that was my imagination. But it certainly didn’t solve the problem.

What do folks do to get their nails harder and keep them that way?
Old 01-21-2019, 01:08 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I was loosing my nails continuously back in the '70s and my wife dragged me down to her nail place and had them put on liquid acrylic for me. Been doing it ever since. MORE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 PM

I found that if I 'ramp' my nails they really don't need to be long at all to have the desired effect. On top of that, the shorter they are the less likely they are to break. The sound is also more even across the strings once you get used to the string travelling 'up' the ramp.

This is very detailed, and worth checking out:

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...ssical-guitar/
Old 01-21-2019, 01:35 PM

After 4 or 5 years of fighting one split nail that stays split no matter what I do, about 3 weeks ago I tried a product by ASP - Quick Dip Powder Kit. I tried the creams, different vitamins, etc. but none worked for me.

This was super easy to apply to just the tip of my three picking nails, about 3/32" to 1/8" only. I got it a bit too thick on one nail but filed it down. And I was a bit sloppy in putting it on, next time I'll be much more precise.

Basically, you apply the glue, then dip your finger into the very fine acrylic powder. Tap off the excess and do it again. On the one I got too thick, the split nail, I did it three times but twice is enough.

So it's been three weeks and my nails with the acrylic in place are still hard as they can be and the sound is very consistent string to string when I fingerpick. That's the real bonus to this, the sound is crisp and precise.

I do custom woodworking along with building acoustic guitars in our home shop and prior to the acrylic nails each time I bumped a fingernail it would get damaged. So I am accustomed to filing and working on my nails several times each day but in the last 3 weeks I have rarely touched them.

So I can't recommend a better way to go than this.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 01-21-2019, 02:11 PM

Hey Dino, I went down the nail salon with my wife, and had an acrylic nail put on my index finder, which is basically my pick. I file it down really really short, but works. That nail used to get all torn up and worn away, but now it's solid.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I was loosing my nails continuously back in the '70s and my wife dragged me down to her nail place and had them put on liquid acrylic for me. Been doing it ever since. MORE.

Bob
That was a really interesting article! Did you write it? I didn’t know that the acrylic nails were actually built up on your own nail as you needed them, i.e. not like those glued-on artificial nails. The other eye-opener was that you were able to select the length you wanted - I don’t really want the really long vampire nails, just maybe between 1/8” and 1/4” past the end of my fingertips. This sounds like it could be a viable solution.

I live in the infamous “Pizza Triangle”, where we have more pizzerias than churches, and more nail salons than pizzerias. I’ll go find one (nail salon - I already know where the pizzerias are...)

Thanks for the eye-opener.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Keeping my nails just to length where they function for picking helps. They break less and get less nicks that way. If I'm going to be doing yard work I always wear gloves. Wolfram crystal nail files have been immensely helpful. I learned about them on this forum. I file my nails with them, and if my nail gets a small "nick" I file it very gently with the Wolfram to save the nail.
https://www.wolframslides.com/precision_crystal.php
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-21-2019, 04:17 PM

FWIW I keep the fingers at about 1/16" of "white" showing. My thumb nail is usually about 1/8". I fingerpick exclusively with these - never could get used to finger picks or thumb picks. I know that contact happens with the flesh first, but finish the stroke with some nail for crispness.

If one nail breaks or gets badly chipped I normally trim them all down to the quick and play with flesh only until they grow back out. Not my preference of course, but things happen.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
That was a really interesting article! Did you write it?
Thank you! I did indeed. That's my little site full of informational poop about guitar and recording.
Quote:
I didn’t know that the acrylic nails were actually built up on your own nail as you needed them, i.e. not like those glued-on artificial nails. The other eye-opener was that you were able to select the length you wanted - I don’t really want the really long vampire nails, just maybe between 1/8” and 1/4” past the end of my fingertips. This sounds like it could be a viable solution.
Yep, I just took an emery board to mine today to take 'em down a little.
Quote:
I live in the infamous “Pizza Triangle”, where we have more pizzerias than churches, and more nail salons than pizzerias. I’ll go find one (nail salon - I already know where the pizzerias are...)

Thanks for the eye-opener.
I'm glad it helped!!!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
I found that if I 'ramp' my nails they really don't need to be long at all to have the desired effect. On top of that, the shorter they are the less likely they are to break. The sound is also more even across the strings once you get used to the string travelling 'up' the ramp.

This is very detailed, and worth checking out:

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...ssical-guitar/
I read and watched, and then tried it. I don’t know if it will help with the wear issue, but I really like the way it feels and sounds. The wear and chipping usually occur either right in the middle, or slightly to the “uphill” side of the ramp, for me, so I may still have some problems unless I work on developing some new habits. But this was really helpful - thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:44 PM

Thanks to all who advised on shaping and the general, “just as long as they absolutely need to be” theme. I really appreciate the help. And I will check out one of our nail salons. There are loads of them to choose from within walking distance.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
I read and watched, and then tried it. I don’t know if it will help with the wear issue, but I really like the way it feels and sounds. The wear and chipping usually occur either right in the middle, or slightly to the “uphill” side of the ramp, for me, so I may still have some problems unless I work on developing some new habits. But this was really helpful - thanks!
Glad it helped. Just be sure to do all the buffing etc. Mine feel extremely smooth, and more robust as a result. In fact, I only discovered ramping recently but my nails have been unusually strong this past year or so. And I say that because they were forever breaking and chipping previously, so I got to thinking why they were stronger. I know I've made some dietary changes this past year, then I remembered that a trusted friend had recommended I try drinking water rich in silica for reasons totally unrelated to my nails. So I've been drinking this (and rarely any other type of water, even in my tea) for about a year now with great results (natural silica, as found in water really is marvelous stuff!). Anyway, I just had a vague recollection of reading something that it strengthens nails, which I checked, and apparently it does. This may be a coincidence, but it's interesting that my nails really have been much stronger since I've been drinking that stuff. I don't know where in the world you are, but it might be worth Googling silica-rich water?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I tried applied nails and the powder, but discovered that my “real” nail underneath was getting really thin. I switched to hoof cream and haven’t had a break since. I apply a coat a couple of times a week. It seems to keep the nail supple, allowing it to bend where it might otherwise break. It seems to have let my nails get thicker also.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:13 AM
Humanist

Acrylic nails (salon or home-application) never adhered well to my nails...although I did use this process for a couple of years. They simply peeled-off after 7-12 days...each and every time, no matter the nail-prep.

I finally found the UV-cured "gel" process, bought a specialized UV lamp (...and gel products, via Amazon), and do everything at home, about once a month...for years, now.

No odiferous solvents (as with the acrylic process), no muss, no fuss.

The perfect solution for me...YMMV.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Acrylic nails (salon or home-application) never adhered well to my nails...although I did use this process for a couple of years. They simply peeled-off after 7-12 days...each and every time, no matter the nail-prep.

I finally found the UV-cured "gel" process, bought a specialized UV lamp (...and gel products, via Amazon), and do everything at home, about once a month...for years, now.

No odiferous solvents (as with the acrylic process), no muss, no fuss.

The perfect solution for me...YMMV.
Larry - How much of the nail do you cover using this method? Does this method weaken the nails under the hardened gel?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion