The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 12:16 PM

Default NGD- Eastman AC320 (NEW Clips added)

A few weeks ago, I ran across a deal on an Eastman AC320, a discontinued model. It was such a good price, and I had Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, I decided to jump on it. After the usual agonizing wait for a new guitar to arrive, I was disappointed to find the neck had cracked in shipping. I immediately reached out to my dealer, Brian at Sun Valley Guitars. He was incredibly helpful, recognizing the damage was from shipping, and shipped me a replacement right away.

Well, the replacement AC320 arrived Thursday morning while I was at work. My awesome wife opened the box for me to let it acclimate and, thanks to unseasonably mild January weather, I was able to open the case later that evening to find...

A perfect guitar!

The top has really tight, straight grain with a bit of silking. Just a gorgeous piece of wood, to my eyes.

The back and sides are obviously different strains for "mahogany", but I think they're gorgeous. Hard to take a good pic of the glossy back, but it has some nice figuring in it, for sure.

The sides almost remind me of rosewood, with the strong vertical grain. I noticed this type of "hog" on an E20D neck I had a few years ago.

Good looking headstock!

I'm digging the figure on the neck and headstock, too. The tuners are actually quite nice, and easier to fine tune than the open geared ones on my E1Om.

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased. I feel like I got an absolute steal, to be honest. $449 to my door for a quintessential spruce/hog dread? Full gloss, beautiful woods, and a hardshell case? Guys, if you're in the market for a dread, you should give Brian at Sun Valley a call while he still has some of these. I have no dog in this hunt, other than trying to pass on a great deal. I mean, this is the same price I paid for my E1OM, and while I love that guitar, this one is obviously a step up in quality of wood and overall package. Both are incredible values, but dang...this is amazing, to my eyes! And ears!

Tone is king, though, and I'm happy to say this does not disappoint. Powerful and loud, but surprisingly sensitive to a light touch. Clear highs, the mids (gosh, I love mids) are powerful and give the guitar punch, and the bass is...not Martin-like, it doesn't take over, but PRESENT...just powerful and present. Like a good bass player. You don't notice them when you're playing, they don't take over the song, never standing out, just holding down the bottom end, but if they're not there, you miss them!

The action was a bit high, but there was plenty of saddle to adjust that. I took it down a notch, and it's playing quite nicely (along with a little truss rod adjustment for relief). She's strung with lights, but once I get a hankering, I'll put some EJ17 on her (which have always been my go-to on dreads) and see what she does. I'd also will try some Martin Retro and D'addario Nickel Bronze, too. That's the fun part, to me...finding the perfect strings for each guitar you have the privilege of caring for.

Edit 1.26.19 - Finally got a chance to record a couple quick (rough) clips.

This one is in standard tuning, with a bit of everything thrown in:

This one is in drop D, capo three:

Update 6.1.19 soundclip added

Last edited by Treenewt; 06-01-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:42 PM

Congrats Treenewt!

That’s a nice looking dread and looks like a heck of a deal for a solid Mahogany dread.

I have a quick question as I’m not too familiar with Eastmans as the only one I’ve ever seen or played in person was an E20D (very nice rosewood dread). I’ve noticed the E series has the traditional (Martin) look to it and the AC models have a modern (Taylor like) headstock and bridge. Are they braced the same or do they have hint toward a more traditional or modern sound based on series? I know the E series Eastmans have their own sound but are somewhat leaning towards the Martin camp.

Thanks and congrats .
Old 01-21-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Congrats Treenewt!

That’s a nice looking dread and looks like a heck of a deal for a solid Mahogany dread.

I have a quick question as I’m not too familiar with Eastmans as the only one I’ve ever seen or played in person was an E20D (very nice rosewood dread). I’ve noticed the E series has the traditional (Martin) look to it and the AC models have a modern (Taylor like) headstock and bridge. Are they braced the same or do they have hint toward a more traditional or modern sound based on series? I know the E series Eastmans have their own sound but are somewhat leaning towards the Martin camp.

Thanks and congrats .
Thanks Russ! I'm pretty tickled by it!

AFAIK, the only difference between the AC and E series is cosmetic. The bracing is the same. I've owned 4 E series, and 2 AC series over the years, and they all have Eastman's sound which, to my ears, is less bass heavy than a Martin and less trebly than Taylor! More of a balanced tone, IMO. I love spruce/mahogany, and this one is a great example of all I love with that combo.

Having said that, there are a lot more knowledgeable folks on this forum who may be able to provide more detail.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Thanks, Eastman and Larrivee are two brands that I have read so many good things about and really want to try but can never find any locally. One day I may have to bite the bullet and buy one online.

I was looking at my rosewood on my Taylor and it’s amazing how the grain on your guitar’s sides look just like a lighter rosewood. Very beautiful woods on that Eastman.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Thanks, Eastman and Larrivee are two brands that I have read so many good things about and really want to try but can never find any locally. One day I may have to bite the bullet and buy one online.

I was looking at my rosewood on my Taylor and it’s amazing how the grain on your guitar’s sides look just like a lighter rosewood. Very beautiful woods on that Eastman.
I had the same experience with Larrivee...no one near me every carried them. Took a chance on an L-03 and absolutely loved it...except for the neck. I just couldn't get on with their very thin neck carve and radius (which they've since changed). I recommend playing one if you can.

And as to the wood, doesn't it??? it's crazy!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Matt...glad you got the broken headstock issue sorted as quickly as you did. Beautiful looking Mahogany especially on the sides. I just put a set of EJ-17's on my Eastman dread this morning...I won't go back to .12's on this guitar again.
BTW...I like that framed verse of "Come Thou Fount" hanging on the wall!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Congrats Matt...glad you got the broken headstock issue sorted as quickly as you did. Beautiful looking Mahogany especially on the sides. I just put a set of EJ-17's on my Eastman dread this morning...I won't go back to .12's on this guitar again.
BTW...I like that framed verse of "Come Thou Fount" hanging on the wall!
Thanks Jim! I'm looking forward to trying EJ17 on this one, as they are usually my go-to. It sounds amazing already!

As to the Come Thou Fount, I gotta give props to my wife. She stumbled across that and brought it home. Pretty much my all-time-favorite hymn!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Thanks Jim! I'm looking forward to trying EJ17 on this one, as they are usually my go-to. It sounds amazing already!

As to the Come Thou Fount, I gotta give props to my wife. She stumbled across that and brought it home. Pretty much my all-time-favorite hymn!
We do that one (David Crowder style) a lot on Thursday evenings.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
We do that one (David Crowder style) a lot on Thursday evenings.
Nice! Such a great lyric!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Yes it is. Hope to hear a clip of that new 320...

Old 01-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Yes it is. Hope to hear a clip of that new 320...
Hopefully I'll get a moment to record something by the weekend. I'll post it on this thread when I get a chance.;
Old 01-22-2019, 05:46 PM

Treenewt,
I too just picked up an AC320--used on Reverb--and of course it was a gamble not having played an Eastman dred. The 1 3/4" nut was the primary factor in my interest--and so much good press from this forum for Eastmans. But the sound when I first pulled it from the case and ran thru a couple tunes just made me smile; like you say, all the good things similar to a D-18, but just a notch down in bass for balance! I am so satisfied. After the "new guitar clean-up and set-up," I put GHS Vintage Bronze-Bluegrass on, as I've been liking them on my 12 fret slope shoulder dred, and they're a "drop the mic'" match for this as well! (I play mostly fingerstyle instrumental.) I ended up putting some Gotoh 381s on it--just because, they are so smooth. And the Used Price I got this for (w/HSC) was phenomenal…
yeah, I'm gushing too.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboz View Post
Treenewt,
I too just picked up an AC320--used on Reverb--and of course it was a gamble not having played an Eastman dred. The 1 3/4" nut was the primary factor in my interest--and so much good press from this forum for Eastmans. But the sound when I first pulled it from the case and ran thru a couple tunes just made me smile; like you say, all the good things similar to a D-18, but just a notch down in bass for balance! I am so satisfied. After the "new guitar clean-up and set-up," I put GHS Vintage Bronze-Bluegrass on, as I've been liking them on my 12 fret slope shoulder dred, and they're a "drop the mic'" match for this as well! (I play mostly fingerstyle instrumental.) I ended up putting some Gotoh 381s on it--just because, they are so smooth. And the Used Price I got this for (w/HSC) was phenomenal…
yeah, I'm gushing too.
I hear ya! Congrats on yours! Sounds like you got quite a deal, too! I tell ya, this thing just puts a smile on my face. I only got to play for a few minutes today, and it is just so dang good! I’ll have to give those GHS strings a try! Haven’t tried them before. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine! (BTW, love the Tolkien quote!)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Enjoy it, Matt.

Eastman makes really fine instruments. I’ve been consistently impressed.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Enjoy it, Matt.

Eastman makes really fine instruments. I’ve been consistently impressed.
Thank you Jim! I agree!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion