The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Whoops, I am trying not to make mistakes, but I left out a very important name. My apologies and it is now corrected.
Ha! Actually I wasn't thinking about that at all. Just trying to throw some levity in the situation of such an awesome schedule.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 01-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Ha! Actually I wasn't thinking about that at all. Just trying to throw some levity in the situation of such an awesome schedule.

Oh gotcha, your name needs to be there though so I do apologize. As far as the schedule, I mean come on, just some stupid guy decides to have a party while standing in your shop a few months ago and now look at it. I have to say, I am impressed if I do say so myself. Plus my step daughter got a college out of it as well!!!!!

Now I just have to make sure it all happens without a hitch. I know, lots of free food is all it takes to keep luthiers happy, I am hoping adult beverages will take care of the rest LOL!!!!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I'm very much looking forward to trying out the aforementioned guitars, specifically the Sexauer pernambuco.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Smile Me too!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I'm very much looking forward to trying out the aforementioned guitars, specifically the Sexauer pernambuco.
Me too Matthew!

Tip for those with tender fingers. Pickle brine a few times a day. Should toughen up those callouses. You will want to play a LOT of these instruments!!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-16-2019, 06:02 PM

It is getting closer and closer now. Kathy and I are finalizing a lot of details, things you would not normally even think about.

We even have arranged for a golf cart to pick people up from where they park to bring them to the house LOL!!!! First class all the way baby!!!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:06 AM

Just a reminder, we are coming up on the "self-imposed" Feb. 15th sign up date, if anyone is lingering and wants to come, let me know...things are looking really good so far. Everything is coming into place, luthiers have some amazing guitars coming, acoustic amps, and maybe a couple of last minute additions still. Sunday we have Bruce Sexauer with a building seminar and John Thomas giving a talk and playing his WWII Gibson.

Concerts, food, drink, fun, jams, on Saturday.

I have even lined up the New Orleans Saints and the LA Rams to be there and they are going to replay the last 3 minutes of the game to see who really won. (OK, maybe not that).

Tom
Old 01-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Haha! I was thinking you should have the refs from the Chiefs/Patriots game be there at B.I.G. to be waiters and servers. They've gotta be more qualified at that than refereeing!

OK, seriously though--I'm really looking forward to this event and meeting all the fine folks who will be in attendance. Thanks so much for all your planning and hard work!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-25-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Haha! I was thinking you should have the refs from the Chiefs/Patriots game be there at B.I.G. to be waiters and servers. They've gotta be more qualified at that than refereeing!

OK, seriously though--I'm really looking forward to this event and meeting all the fine folks who will be in attendance. Thanks so much for all your planning and hard work!
Agreed, but I did line up some 3rd graders to officiate the replay, figured that would be about a 100% improvement.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

i have talked about the unmatched pair of 0's I plan to bring to B.I.G. (assuming I still have them, which I do as they won't be complete till shortly before) but I also plan to bring a couple of other guitars. Probably that will include the JB-L00 in German spruce/Amazon RW I made to show at La Conner last year. It is similar to the guitar I made for Tom, and no slouch either. Here's the headstock face:

Old 01-27-2019, 07:45 AM

Wow, that is a great guitar. I am glad it is coming. Any guitar built for a show typically is a great one as no builder wants to bring a subpar build to a show as an example of their work, best woods etc. If this one is anywhere near mine as Bruce said, it will be probably the best guitar most of us may ever hold.

Still room for a handful of more folks if anyone else wants to join us. Putting in the food order soon and figuring out how many spirits to have on hand now!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-27-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Wow, that is a great guitar. I am glad it is coming. Any guitar built for a show typically is a great one as no builder wants to bring a subpar build to a show as an example of their work, best woods etc. If this one is anywhere near mine as Bruce said, it will be probably the best guitar most of us may ever hold.

Still room for a handful of more folks if anyone else wants to join us. Putting in the food order soon and figuring out how many spirits to have on hand now!
What is this "Sub-par Build" of which you speak?
Old 01-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Smile Not here...

"What is this "Sub-par Build" of which you speak?"

Hey Bruce! That would be a reference to OTHER guitar shows and events, and OTHER BUILDERS, too!

No such thing at B.I.G.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-27-2019, 01:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
!
Bruce is a great builder for sure, but dont forget Steve and Ryan will be there. I'd never bet against them. I bet they bring some astounding stuff
Old 01-27-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
What is this "Sub-par Build" of which you speak?
Exactly, it is a unicorn, and if by chance someone did have one that was not quite what they had hoped, that would not end up at a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
"What is this "Sub-par Build" of which you speak?"

Hey Bruce! That would be a reference to OTHER guitar shows and events, and OTHER BUILDERS, too!

No such thing at B.I.G.

Cheers

Paul
The guitars are going to be phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Bruce is a great builder for sure, but dont forget Steve and Ryan will be there. I'd never bet against them. I bet they bring some astounding stuff
Exactly! I will also have 4 of my personal guitars from Steve and Ryan and 1 from you there for people to try. I would not have 5 Kinnairds (soon to be 6) if there was not magic there.

Add to Sexauer and Kinnaird with Kostal, Wilborn, Edwinson, and Two Hands Guitar Co and we are going to have truly amazing instruments for folks to hopefully purchase or order a custom. I have heard from Ben Wilborn and Steve Sheriff as well as Joel Teel in regards to what they are bringing and I am blown away with all. All different sizes and woods will be represented, traditional and modern...I am very proud of the luthiers who we have gathered for the inaugural B.I.G. Hopefully we will add J. Kinnaird next year!
Old 01-28-2019, 05:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Do you have a date yet for the 2020 BIG? I want to go ahead and put it on my calendar in ink. And it looks like the cat nearly got out of the bag.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop