The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2018, 08:58 PM

I own both and I like both but the QSC 8.2 is the winner unless you rely on battery power...
Old 02-21-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I would think that the main advantage the Bose will have over the QSC is in the dispersion of sound, evenly, throughout the venue... QSC speakers have decent dispersion, but they can't touch the Bose stuff -snip-

The S1 is not a line array in any sense, it’s a fairly normal 2 way box speaker and shouldn’t be considered as a line array alternative (or, as in the case of the Bose compact, a pseudo-line array alternative).

It’s three 2.5” ‘high’ drivers are probably mounted in such a way as to extend the impression of wider dispersion but the reality is that the effect will only be in the upper mids/lower highs and probably only effectively ‘full range’ at fairly close to the box listening positions.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
But then a rig on the Autobahn might just get things done faster... But then I was only on it in a Beemer sedan 46 years ago.
I'm sure you had a great time of it too.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I would sure think that boosting the bass and treble would give you the same results as cutting back the mids. I have a Taylor T5 and that is exactly how you handle it with the bass and treble knobs; then adjust volume accordingly.
That doesn't solve the problem. You need to remove the problematic frequencies, not add more of the non-problematic frequencies. Subtractive EQ is more effective than additive EQ. It is the preferred method used by experienced live sound and recording engineers.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Bingo. Don't want a sports car for hauling gear and you don't want a semi rig for the Autobahn.
Yes well one does not buy something that is
used at max all the time it won't last long.
The addage should read if you buy a corolla
to tow a boat... it will do it ...but not for very long.
If you buy a duramax diesel to tow the same
boat the truck won't work as hard and last
much longer.

Anyway i've heard the dispersion of these bigger line array
bose systems. It's actually pretty cool. you can't really tell
where the sound is coming from. I am not sure
the s1 has the same capability. even if it did your still limited
to smaller audiences then you would be with the qsc.
i would love to test drive one of these little s1s . I have several
gigs coming up at an intimate listening space where i think it would shine.
like 25 folks eating dinner. Be nicer to carry this than my k10 and board.
but it wont replace the k10.

Last edited by varmonter; 02-22-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:46 AM

According to this sheet posted earlier by Cuki, S1 dispersion (coverage) is 100 deg H, 40 deg V which less than the QSCs 105 deg conical:

hunter
Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by canerod View Post
That doesn't solve the problem. You need to remove the problematic frequencies, not add more of the non-problematic frequencies. Subtractive EQ is more effective than additive EQ. It is the preferred method used by experienced live sound and recording engineers.
The S1 is a small unit, designed for a smaller setting. Using what is there for EQ may seem simplistic for you "experienced live sound and recording engineers," but in keeping with the purpose of a battery powered, 15 pound unit, I would think most people could make this work. If you want to add a mixer, you can have all the EQ options you desire; but then you are adding to the complexity... which kind of defeats the purpose of a small rig like this.

It is easy to get caught up in the "search for perfection," but sometimes what needs to be done is: set up quick, play, and enjoy. I have used a Roland Cube Street when no power is available... it "ain't pretty," but it is there. My wife once said, "That doesn't sound as good as your Bose."

Ya think? But to a bunch of boat owners on a dock, it was just fine. Plenty of "Sounds good!" and not a single: "You need to scoop the mids."
Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 AM

exactly.. generally the audience is no where near
as fussy as we all are when it comes to sound
reinforcement. Generally "its not loud enough" or "Its too loud"
is the extent of an audiences reaction.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:56 AM

Some miscellaneous responses:
1. Boosting the low and high frequencies is not the same as cutting the mids.
2. Adding a small mixer to the equation doesn't add a lot of complexity (aside from learning how to use the mixer) and does add a lot of versatility.
3. We are all WAY more focused on sound quality than almost everyone who will hear you play.
4. K.2 + small mixer wins for versatility, Bose wins for portability.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Anyway i've heard the dispersion of these bigger line array bose systems. It's actually pretty cool. you can't really tell where the sound is coming from. I am not sure the s1 has the same capability.
Absolutely no comparison at all. The better dispersion of the larger units is directly attributable to the 24 drivers all vertically aligned and no point source speaker is going to be able to even compete in that category without following the same course. But then again, that's not what the S1 or K10 are made for.

Quote:
i would love to test drive one of these little s1s . I have several
gigs coming up at an intimate listening space where i think it would shine.
like 25 folks eating dinner. Be nicer to carry this than my k10 and board.
but it wont replace the k10.
That's exactly why I'm considering buying one too. Nice sounding unit in a very compact package that allows you to play where no electricity is available. When it's not in use, it will store away nicely while we use our larger/better/bigger/heavier systems.

I'm going to sell my L1 Model 2 because I'm not getting a big enough return for the effort to make me feel like using it again now that I also have the Eon One, but they really are hard to beat.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:06 PM

Qsc k8.2 is cleaner at any kind of volume.
I have both units - if not for the battery feature and weight the bose starts to get muddy and bass heavy when pushed especially if you want to play backing tracks.
Qsc stays clear as a bell with endless headroom!

For a park situation the Bose is very impressive! I'm keeping both.

Last edited by wweiss; 02-22-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Qsc k8.2 is cleaner at any kind of volume.
I have both units - if not for the battery feature and weight the bose starts to get muddy and bass heavy when pushed especially if you want to play backing tracks.
Qsc stays clear as a bell with endless headroom!

For a park situation the Bose is very impressive! I'm keeping both.
yes well the qsc has 2000 watts the bose i think
is just 40 watts given the adjustment for marketing
hype on both accounts the qsc is still miles above
the bose in the power realm..
Old 02-23-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
yes well the qsc has 2000 watts the bose i think
is just 40 watts given the adjustment for marketing
hype on both accounts the qsc is still miles above
the bose in the power realm..
QSC K.2 speakers' 2000 watt capabilities are nothing but a marketing ploy, however, the K.2 will supply much more clean headroom.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
QSC K.2 speakers' 2000 watt capabilities are nothing but a marketing ploy, however, the K.2 will supply much more clean headroom.
Yes, older QSC's are 500 watts and the new ones are 1000.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

In nearly 50 years of performing and using various pieces of gear, I have finally realized that what the specs say is meaningless when actually hearing and using the units...

I've heard all the cork-sniffing and whining about the Bose L1 systems, and the truth of it is that they sound so much more natural and "transparent" than any QSC rig I've heard... let alone the dispersion of the Bose is off-the-charts.

I would have to actually use the S1 before I deemed it "not enough power" or less dispersion than the QSC units. I realize that how the QSC speakers are employed is a big part of how they'll sound in any particular application, but I have found them to have huge drop-off's or dead zones out in the listening area, not any sort of even dispersion of sound.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification