The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-23-2019, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
@Marty C, I use both a Behringer 1002B battery powered mixer and a USB powered TU04 battery powered mixer with my Bose S1 Pro. I also use a Line6 Pocket Pod and several active preamplifier DI boxes for individual channel audio pre-conditioning, with great results.
Thank you. A few questions, if you wouldn’t mind.
1. The Behringer unit - Are you using any of the tonematch settings together with the Behringer unit? Do you have any noise in the signal chain? Are you setting the S1 flat and using only the Behringer EQ?
2. The TU04 - Are you using the effects in this unit? Does it introduce some noise in the signal chain? Are you able to run separate channels for guitar and vocals?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2019, 04:50 AM

I use the S1-Pro with 2 mics. I use an SM57 for guitar, mandolin and resonator and an SM58 for vocals.

Did a small coffee hose / restaurant several times with a guy using a mixer and a 15/horn cabinet and the S1 held it's own and got many compliments. Everything was a touch over 1/2 (except reverb) and the SM57 needed a touch more volume, obviously. Place was small, only seated 25-30.

We did a larger, louder rowdier bar and I took my L1-Compact and simply lined out to it.

I'm a member of the S1-Pro on the floor tilted back about 3 feet behind me to the left club......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-23-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Anyone using the S1 Pro that would care to share your set up? I am interested in:
- Are you going direct in with nothing in between you and the S1 Pro?
OR
- Are you using a mixer?
- Are you using any effects other than the provided reverb?

In other words, could you share your equipment with me when using the S1 Pro?

Thanks,
Marty
SOLO
Guitar > Fishman ToneDEQ >S1 Pro
ToneMatch OFF - Reverb Off - Bass, Treble usually just set to center position)

Mic > S1 Pro
TM ON - Reverb On (30-40%) - Bass Treble to taste.

DUO
We use TWO S1 Pro and set up individually. (no mixer) .. I pretty much use the same set up as above. We put the S1 pros on stands situated behind us.

When playing larger space as DUO we have a L1 Compact. Then we use a Yamaha MG10xu mixer and everything goes into mixer and out to L1C and use S1Pro as monitor (usually just 1 monitor is necessary placed in front of us on floor angled up). In this case I turn ToneMatch off on everything and use mixer's EQ and Effects for MIC and still use Fishman ToneDEQ for Guitar.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I use the S1-Pro with 2 mics. I use an SM57 for guitar, mandolin and resonator and an SM58 for vocals.

Did a small coffee hose / restaurant several times with a guy using a mixer and a 15/horn cabinet and the S1 held it's own and got many compliments. Everything was a touch over 1/2 (except reverb) and the SM57 needed a touch more volume, obviously. Place was small, only seated 25-30.

We did a larger, louder rowdier bar and I took my L1-Compact and simply lined out to it.

I'm a member of the S1-Pro on the floor tilted back about 3 feet behind me to the left club......
So your bass and treble settings are just over 1/2? Which tonematch settings do you use for each channel?
Old 07-23-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
If you feel you are getting some latency, dial the percentages back a touch on your effects. Give yourself a tad more gain and center yourself on the mic.

Also, if you prefer plugging your guitar direct to the S1 as you had mentioned, just use the external mics on the P/A to get the vocal effects to kick in when you are playing.
The extra gain on the guitar helped. Turned off all the effects and BodyRez and just worked on EQ and gain. Got the punch back. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2019, 05:04 PM

That’s great Marty. The more you experiment with the TCH and also the EQ and slider switch on the S1 you will decide what works best for you and your gear. Glad I could be of some help to you.
Frankie

Last edited by Chickee; 07-23-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:51 PM

I have been tempted to try to use a microphone instead of a guitar XLR plug in to get a more natural guitar tone.. Do you have feedback issues when you set a mic in front of your guitar and then put the S1 off to maybe your side or from just behind you?
Quote:

Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
So your bass and treble settings are just over 1/2? Which tonematch settings do you use for each channel?
Yes, S1 Bass and Treble start at center position. Sometimes I back them off a bit.
I normally dont need to add much. Same with reverb, I don't add too much.

ToneMatch is set to Guitar.. when using it on Guitar and ToneMatch Mic with Mic ..

However, no Tonematch when using the Fishman pedal.

Last edited by JakeStone; 07-23-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Me too. I don’t like it on the poll very much. The EQ is much better, for my ears, voice and guitar, in the tilted back position.

The best sound I ever had was in a large room with about 100 people. I was on a 12” high stage and placed the S1 Pro on a stump, in tilted back position. Literally a stump. It was part of some decorations for a church program, but I was July 4th entertainment. I just used what was there. The stump provided the right elevation and allowed me to still tilt it back. It sat just behind me to the left. Clear, loud and simple.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
They are both on mic. I'm using 2 mics.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I have been tempted to try to use a microphone instead of a guitar XLR plug in to get a more natural guitar tone.. Do you have feedback issues when you set a mic in front of your guitar and then put the S1 off to maybe your side or from just behind you?
No, I have zero issues. It's not aimed at the mic, I just catch enough to hear it. I'm usually on a bar stool because I also play resonator.

Once you figure it out you won't have issues. The people who have issues haven't figured it out.

Me and Dave Rawlings and David Lindley like SM57's. We use them often.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
No, I have zero issues. It's not aimed at the mic, I just catch enough to hear it. I'm usually on a bar stool because I also play resonator.

Once you figure it out you won't have issues. The people who have issues haven't figured it out.

Me and Dave Rawlings and David Lindley like SM57's. We use them often.

Have an SM 57 and never thought about using it. Was thinking I would have to find a way to get a phantom power to the condenser mics. I’ll give that a shot
Old 07-27-2019, 12:42 AM

00000.jpg

Pic posted before, but since you asked this is what's between me and my S1 Pro.

Two tiny DPA condenser mics (with accurate and stunning studio-quality sound).
I need all the help I can get.
One clips on my guitar, the other curls around my ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K63up8FXoUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmHPxq-QSTM

This field mixer (powered by 4 AA batteries) supplies +48v phantom power to the DPAs.
It clips on my belt, and it is fantastic to have controls right at my fingertips.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

Last edited by Tico; 07-27-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Attachment 25334

Pic posted before, but since you asked this is what's between me and my S1 Pro.

Two tiny DPA condenser mics (with accurate and stunning studio-quality sound).
I need all the help I can get.
One clips on my guitar, the other curls around my ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K63up8FXoUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmHPxq-QSTM

This field mixer (powered by 4 AA batteries) supplies +48v phantom power to the DPAs.
It clips on my belt, and it is fantastic to have controls right at my fingertips.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=
Thanks for sharing that. How much play time do you get out of those batteries before you have to replace them? I'm assuming I would get even more time if I was only using one of the channels and not powering two microphones
Old 07-27-2019, 03:24 PM

They are rechargeable, and last a few gigs.
Maybe 6 hours, + or - .

Actually, I always bring extras and only once years ago did I run them till dead.
Today I never do that.
I just put in a fresh set after maybe 3 or 4 hours of use.

But I've had around 25 of these rechargeable AAs that I've used around the house for a few years.
Since they're older the charge may not last as long as it did when they were newer - so YMMV.

Last edited by Tico; 07-27-2019 at 07:54 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification