The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-20-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Default relocating preamp jack?

This is a purely “wonder if it’s viable” type question ...

I do not use a strap very often, but when I have, I’ve noted that the combination strap button / preamp jack on most of my acoustic/ electrics is not exactly ‘strap friendly’. In fact, they are generally a downright pain in the ... well, you get it.

So, have any of you relocated that output jack to another location on the guitar?
I envision it requiring the addition of a support block to be secure and so that then makes it a significant modification.
Would this be considered sonic blasphemy?
Not to mention the implications of resale down the road ...
Are there any “acceptable” methods of doing this? (like maybe move it ‘behind’ the strap button towards the back of the guitar, but still in the tail block?)
Or is it as simple as replacing that combo end pin with a better third party solution? Do those exist?
So many questions ...

~ Paul
Old 07-20-2019, 07:44 AM

If you don't want to modify anything you could think about using the Tapastring strap retainer with your present output jack.

If you like to use removable locking straps this new Music Nomad product looks interesting:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...hoCmfkQAvD_BwE
Old 07-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
This is a purely “wonder if it’s viable” type question ...

I do not use a strap very often, but when I have, I’ve noted that the combination strap button / preamp jack on most of my acoustic/ electrics is not exactly ‘strap friendly’. In fact, they are generally a downright pain in the ... well, you get it.

So, have any of you relocated that output jack to another location on the guitar?
I envision it requiring the addition of a support block to be secure and so that then makes it a significant modification.
Would this be considered sonic blasphemy?
Not to mention the implications of resale down the road ...
Are there any “acceptable” methods of doing this? (like maybe move it ‘behind’ the strap button towards the back of the guitar, but still in the tail block?)
Or is it as simple as replacing that combo end pin with a better third party solution? Do those exist?
So many questions ...

~ Paul
Kinda weird. I won't buy an acoustic guitar unless the jack is in the strap button / tail block. I had two cheap guitars with the jack on the corner of the lower bout, both got cracked. I also don't play with a strap (usually) but when I do I usually put the cable through the strap (from behind) and then into the jack - if you accidentally step on it you won't be as likely to break the jack. Same deal on electrics, I always have the cord go between the the guitar / strap and me.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Here's an easier, better solution: There's a company called Music Nomad making a product that replaces the outer pickup jack nut with a quality billet aluminum adapter that offsets your strap button from the jack hole. Great for those like you that don't like to put their straps on their pup jack holes. Just make sure you get the right size thread.

MusicNomad Acousti-Lok Strap Lock Adapter for Standard Output Jacks for Acoustic Guitars
Old 07-20-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Default relocating preamp jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If you don't want to modify anything you could think about using the Tapastring strap retainer with your present output jack.

If you like to use removable locking straps this new Music Nomad product looks interesting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Here's an easier, better solution: There's a company called Music Nomad making a product that replaces the outer pickup jack nut with a quality billet aluminum adapter that offsets your strap button from the jack hole. Great for those like you that don't like to put their straps on their pup jack holes. Just make sure you get the right size thread.

Thank you, Rudy & Methos ... both of you recommended the same solution, and it does look like the most effective and least invasive way to go.
Thanks again!

~ Paul

Old 07-22-2019, 09:06 AM

NEVER install a jack in unreinforced side wood. You can tear the jack and a sizable chunk of wood out of your guitar with a sudden side load (you or a band mate stepping on your cable) or repeatedly applying a side load by not plugging/unplugging with care.

The right way to do this is add an internal hardwood block shaped and glued to the bout where you want to add a jack. Then you plug and redrill your old jack hole for a screw-in button or tapered end pin.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Or, you could install a simple screw in strap peg just ahead or behind your jack, into the tail block, and take care of it that way -
Old 07-22-2019, 08:09 PM

I use these on all my guitars:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...ap_Secure.html
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-24-2019, 12:06 PM

If you are willing to dedicate a strap to the guitar, you can just use a 5/8" E clip and plastic, or any, large washer from the hardware store in lieu of buying one at far higher price:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification