The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-16-2019, 07:15 PM

Default Blend Pedals For Use With Two Pups

All I know of is the ToneBone Mix Blender, which I would love but is very pricey.
The idea is to eventually pick up a sound hole pup to blend with the piezo on my guitar.
Any knockoff or affordable but half decent quality suggestions?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 AM

The K&K two channel preamp could be an option. I used one for several years - reliable and good sound, gain-bass-mid-treble on both channels.
Maybe the Baggs MixPro - but I never tried.
Good Luck

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 07-17-2019, 10:03 AM

The Headway EDB-2 is built for exactly this purpose. The only downside is that you can't EQ each individual channel. You can choose to apply it to one channel, the other, or both, but you only have one set of knobs.

I don't mean for that to be too harsh a criticism. It sounds great. And blending multiple pickup systems on one guitar was exactly how the designers intended it to be used.

Last edited by Wissen; 07-17-2019 at 10:05 AM. Reason: remove profanity asterisks by removing profanity altogether
Old 07-17-2019, 10:46 AM

I've been seeing a few folks lately using the Boss LS-2 to blend pickups together. There is a great video of Jon Gomm discussing his rig and how he uses the ls-2.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 07-17-2019, 01:43 PM

Boss LS-2 - great idea ! It will do the job matching different input signals, and you can ad a GE7, if equalising is necessary in one channel.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:28 PM

I use the Behringer Micromix MX400 Line Mixer. It works beautifully and it’s only $24.00 at Sweetwater. Oh, and it’s tiny too.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
I use the Behringer Micromix MX400 Line Mixer. It works beautifully and it’s only $24.00 at Sweetwater. Oh, and it’s tiny too.
Awesome, that's a price range I can shell out for right now. It's successful running two pickups from an acoustic (or pickup and a mic) into one output line that you could then run into a preamp?
Old 07-18-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
Awesome, that's a price range I can shell out for right now. It's successful running two pickups from an acoustic (or pickup and a mic) into one output line that you could then run into a preamp?
Yes, it works great for blending two pickups. I’m amazed at the quality given the low price point. It feels well made. I have two pickups in one of my acoustics and I use it to blend both signals into the one output and then into a Tech 21 Q-Strip. This is a perfect solution for
Old 07-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Smile

If you are using passive pickups, a passive mixer like the Behringer won't help. If you are using two active pickups, it will do the job.
If you want to mix pickup and internal mic, you will need a dedicated blender which sends phantom power to the internal mic. There are various out there, but the K&K offers good quality and features at a moderate price.
Before buying cheap always consider that the weakest part of the signal chain defines the sound.
I spent a lot of money over the years like many here on AGF - now the weakest part in the signal chain is me
Good luck !

Old 07-18-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
If you are using passive pickups, a passive mixer like the Behringer won't help. If you are using two active pickups, it will do the job.
If you want to mix pickup and internal mic, you will need a dedicated blender which sends phantom power to the internal mic. There are various out there, but the K&K offers good quality and features at a moderate price.
Before buying cheap always consider that the weakest part of the signal chain defines the sound.
I spent a lot of money over the years like many here on AGF - now the weakest part in the signal chain is me
Good luck !
Good point, I have a passive pickup in mine.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
Good point, I have a passive pickup in mine.

Isn’t the K&K Mini passive? I’m using the Lyric and the K&K.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:24 PM

You are right. K&K pure mine is passive. But after soldering to the stereo jack of your Lyric system it gets part of an active system, powered by the battery inside your guitar.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
You are right. K&K pure mine is passive. But after soldering to the stereo jack of your Lyric system it gets part of an active system, powered by the battery inside your guitar.
Interesting. Good thing you caught that before he ordered the Behringer. Thanks
Old 07-19-2019, 08:26 PM

I experimented one time with gear I have on hand. The guitar I used has a K&K, I put onto it a Fishman sound hole pickup for the second pup. I ran one to a PADI and the other to a Zoom A3. I then ran the PADI and the A3 to a HOF Reverb pedal's "stereo in" and then "mono out" to the mixer. It blended it just fine and had individual tone and gain control.

For my ears the tone wasn't a quantum leap and so I went back to a single pup. The experiment did yield to me that what I want for a duel source is something like a Fishman Matrix Blend where the second pup is a mic.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-19-2019, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

You might consider a small powered mixer like the Yamaha MG06X which does a great job combining inputs + decent EQ & FX. Yes you can indeed spend $$ but truly you do get what you pay for and the more expensive “blenders” offer a lot (as an example take a look at the Grace Design Felix)
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification