The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Breedlove Oregon Concert CE 25th Anniversary

Anybody ever play one? The worship leader a local church I visited last Sunday has one in a Whiskey Sunburst, and although I love Martins...it's one of the most amazing sounding guitars I've ever heard. I'm still trying to get over the Breedlove look thing...but it sounds wonderful.

He said it's made of a Cedar top from a certain cedar that's local to the Portland area, and has Myrtlewood on back and sides...which is also a local tonewood to the Portland area (where Breedlove is made) apparently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aelmtpqarrfnjiy7akpt.jpg (39.4 KB, 94 views)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
Anybody ever play one? The worship leader a local church I visited last Sunday has one in a Whiskey Sunburst, and although I love Martins...it's one of the most amazing sounding guitars I've ever heard. I'm still trying to get over the Breedlove look thing...but it sounds wonderful.

He said it's made of a Cedar top from a certain cedar that's local to the Portland area, and has Myrtlewood on back and sides...which is also a local tonewood to the Portland area (where Breedlove is made) apparently.
Breedloves have a tone of their own and its nice and modern, i tested a pursuit concerto mrytle on mrytle and im still thinking about ordering one, because of the concerto body shape it was a little tubby sounding, not boxy at all,. Which i liked the tubby sound, it was a loud guitar. Breedloves are in my future
Old 07-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Breedloves have a tone of their own and its nice and modern, i tested a pursuit concerto mrytle on mrytle and im still thinking about ordering one, because of the concerto body shape it was a little tubby sounding, not boxy at all,. Which i liked the tubby sound, it was a loud guitar. Breedloves are in my future
You're right. They...at least this one, have a big warm sound that's not "chimey" at all. If it just didn't look so...different.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
You're right. They...at least this one, have a big warm sound that's not "chimey" at all. If it just didn't look so...different.
If it's the looks you can't get over, there's always the "Revival Series", that look more like old Martins. Nothing not to like there!
Steve
Old 07-09-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Man! Those 25th Anniversary Oregon Series are just amazing guitars! They only made a couple hundred of 'em, 5 years back (or so). My local store, Bullfrog Music, is a BIG Breedlove dealer and he got a couple, which was as many as any one store was alotted.

Both of those guitars were absolutely stunning in their tone and volume, especially for a OOO sized body.

So you know, your buddy was half-right... Breedlove is located in Bend, Oregon, and have been for a long while... I don't know how long ago they began making the Oregon Series guitars, but they are BY FAR, the best bang for your buck that you will find nearly anywhere on the market!

The cedar top on that Anniversary is actually Port Orford cedar (easy to confuse it with Portland!). Port Orford is really not a cedar at all, but it is an incredible top wood! I first played a Goodall that had that top wood, and the sound still haunts me... since then I've played 10-15 guitars with Port Orford cedar, and each one has been exceptional...

Most of the Oregon Series Breedloves have the more squared off headstock... until I saw your picture, I had forgotten that the 25th Anniversary models had the slanty headstock. While I much prefer a more traditional headstock shape, it wouldn't be an issue if I found one of those Anniversary models that I wanted!

I seem to recall that one of our members was looking at one of those 25th Anniversary
Concerts not long ago... perhaps he'll chime in, if he actually went back and bought the thing! I think he was even more from your neck o' the woods, too...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-09-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Most of the Oregon Series Breedloves have the more squared off headstock... until I saw your picture, I had forgotten that the 25th Anniversary models had the slanty headstock. While I much prefer a more traditional headstock shape, it wouldn't be an issue if I found one of those Anniversary models that I wanted!
After a couple weeks, those slanty headstocks start looking kinda cool.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

I seem to recall that one of our members was looking at one of those 25th Anniversary
Concerts not long ago... perhaps he'll chime in, if he actually went back and bought the thing! I think he was even more from your neck o' the woods, too...
Wow...I am embarrassed. That “other member” was me. I had totally forgotten. One of the not so wonderful things about getting a bit older I guess.

Thanks for the gentle call-out, and the information.

I believe the only thing holding me back is the non-traditional look. I’m very conservative & like symmetrical guitar bodies...but it is possible I’d get over that with time.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:28 PM

It was their look (love that winged bridge) and sound that drove me to BLs years ago. Have owned 7 since and am still amazed at their incredible tone and balance.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion