The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2019, 12:25 AM

Maybe have a look at a Guild Mini Jumbo. Not a Sapele top but a fun little guitar.
https://guildguitars.com/g/jumbo-junior-mahogany/
Old 07-07-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Light touch? Scalloped bracing produces a responsive guitar.
Generally I agree. Scalloped bracing will be more responsive than straight braces.

My first thought was one of the Artist series mahogany topped Alvarez "Folk" guitars which have scalloped bracing and tone bars.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...0folk&index=16

Or one of their misnamed Parlors, which is really a 00 size.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-07-2019, 03:32 AM

The Ibanez Aw54jr might be a nice size for your friend.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Suggesting for a friend who is small in stature (under 5 feet) and a light touch and likes a warmer tone.

I suggested a Mahagony top as I think those may be more responsive/warm than a sitka top. (Correct me if I am wrong.) Given the soft touch, the search is for an instrument that will produce more of the tone with a soft touch. Perhaps responsive or effortless is the word.

I suggested checking out the Taylor GS Mini, Martin JR (Sapele), and Fender PM2.

Unfortunately, can't find all three in the same store and GS Mini Mahagony top is the only one available locally for testing.

Of the three, what would you suggest? Is there a clear pick?

Or would you suggest some other alternative?

Thanks.
Personally I would suggest looking at a concert body, or something else that is on the smaller side but still a full size guitar.

These travel guitars are good for certain purposes but their tone will never match that of a full size guitar and for a person's at-home instrument, where they can use an optimal seating position and use a strap to move the guitar into more comfortable position (and make any other adjustments at will), I would guess the player would be much happier with a guitar that has a fuller sound.

There are many many players who are small of stature that play very well. Often we think that we have some peculiar physical problem that makes us unable to play - but really all players have to adjust their body to become accustomed to the guitar over a long period of time and all people can do it.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:33 AM

I would not abandon the idea of a mini hog. I liked mine a lot before moving on to a carbon fiber Cargo (great option but pricier) and it seemed to have plenty of umph. That said, there are some other options, too. I have played and liked an Alvarez parlor (not sure model number) and recently picked up (but did not purchase) a used Eastman E10P (parlor) that is tempting me back to wood. Differences between some of these in nut width may suggest one over another, if that is a consideration.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:44 AM

I would go with the Martin jrD. All solid and sounds superb! I have tried all 3 and the Martin was the one that came home
Old 07-07-2019, 10:05 AM

When I went looking for a small guitar I chose the Guild Jumbo Junior. It's sitka and maple though. Demo below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnsaMO086PE

Last edited by AndrewG; 07-07-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:16 AM

While I enjoy the sound of a Hog topped guitar, I agree with Jim. Cedar is the best for light touch (IMO).

If you can find a a Cedar topped Seagull Grand they are small, loud and responsive. They don't make them anymore but they can still be found new old stock.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-07-2019, 11:39 AM

I have a Taylor 322ce 12 fret that's just perfect for a smallish person. I put some silk and steel strings on it and it plays like butter in my old weak hands. I've taken lately to just playing with my thumb and this little guitar plays and sounds great with so little effort.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
Personally I would suggest looking at a concert body, or something else that is on the smaller side but still a full size guitar.

These travel guitars are good for certain purposes but their tone will never match that of a full size guitar and for a person's at-home instrument
The Martin Dread Jr. is larger than an OM in body volume. It's 15" across the lower bout. It's really a short scale 000 with a dread shape. I'm not sure why people think it's a travel guitar.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-07-2019, 02:53 PM

My girlfriend’s Taylor GS Mini sounds amazing, it’s a very small guitar but sounds much bigger. She has the Sitka/Walnut version and it was better than any of the others she tried, including the great warm sounding all mahogany I owned but sold to a friend when I decided to get a Furch Little Jane.

If you’re into the GS Mini for sure try the different wood combos as they have very different voices.

The Little Jane is in a different price bracket but sounds fantastic, and is even more amazing as it disassembles in seconds and fits in a backpack (though costs more).
Old 07-07-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vubui View Post
My girlfriend’s Taylor GS Mini sounds amazing, it’s a very small guitar but sounds much bigger. She has the Sitka/Walnut version and it was better than any of the others she tried, including the great warm sounding all mahogany I owned but sold to a friend when I decided to get a Furch Little Jane.

If you’re into the GS Mini for sure try the different wood combos as they have very different voices.

The Little Jane is in a different price bracket but sounds fantastic, and is even more amazing as it disassembles in seconds and fits in a backpack (though costs more).

Whoops missed the part about you looking specifically for a hog top. Disregard what I said.

I really loved my mahogany GS Mini, a fantastic guitar. I wouldn’t have gotten rid of it except I wanted more portability.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
If cedar is the way to go, what very responsive guitar would you recommend that is relatively small still? By the way, I think the Martin JR is small enough with its 24" scale....

Thanks.
Here are a couple you might consider:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/alvarez-afa95ceshb-artist-elite-folk-om-acoustic-electric-guitar
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-09-2019, 11:43 AM

All mahogany parlor Alvarez AP-66. ;-)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Generally I agree. Scalloped bracing will be more responsive than straight braces.

My first thought was one of the Artist series mahogany topped Alvarez "Folk" guitars which have scalloped bracing and tone bars.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...0folk&index=16

Or one of their misnamed Parlors, which is really a 00 size.
I have owned 3 of these - 2 all-mahogany. Very responsive so getting sound out of them is not a chore at all. I would recommend that you check them out if you have a chance. I found that they were more responsive than the GS Mini's that I played.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion