The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-05-2019, 07:59 PM

Default Pickups for new Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe with carbon fiber bridge plate

I decided to buy one of the new Martin Modern Deluxe D-28s. I had been holding out, but the first three I played were all very impressive. The final straw was this weekend when I played one that knocked my socks off and they made me a deal I couldn't refuse. However, since the bridge plate is made from carbon fiber, I'm not sure how to proceed with respect to pickups.

For now, I am using the LR Baggs Lyric because I had it handy and it uses tape. I recently switched to Dazzo for my other Martin, but I am not sure I want to epoxy Dazzos to a carbon fiber bridge plate. The same applies to K&K with superglue. If the Lyric is not successful at Sunday's gig, I am considering a Schatten HFN. I may also call Teddy and ask for his best shot at a tape install for the Dazzos, or wait until they have that settled. I did read that Maury said Trance was successful with the new bridge plate material. Maybe it's time to consider that again?

Let's discuss since this is bound to come up more often now that Martin has opened the floodgates on carbon fiber bridge plates for their newest models. I assume they will eventually sell them with under saddle pickup systems.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:42 AM

I’m very curious to hear your impression of the lyric. I have a spare one that I’ve been eying for use in my D-28 MD.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_t View Post
I’m very curious to hear your impression of the lyric. I have a spare one that I’ve been eying for use in my D-28 MD.
Ditto. I have a guitar inbound that has the lyric, though it does not have a carbon fiber bridge plate

It looks like you are on another educational journey though the winding roads of “which pick up if best for......... “
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Default Pickups for new Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe with carbon fiber bridge plate

Indeed! However, this should be relatively short and painless. For one, I think pickup options will need to use tape. I have no experience with carbon fiber bridge plates and my usual go-to glued in pickups. Those taped in options are more limited. Trance, Dazzos (maybe), HFN, Lyric, Cuki Pickup V5.

You never know how a pickup will work until you plug in at a venue. However, at the store that did the install the Lyric sounded excellent through a Loudbox Performer with flat EQ. I have no idea if it will sound that good through the venue’s PA.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:35 AM

The CF/Spruce/CF bridge plate is likely very stiff and light, but I wonder if a razor blade glued PUP removal is practical (slice that thin layer of CF and it is no longer a nice stiff bridge plate).

So for the OP who is well known in the AGF for despising tape and little to no loyalty to any PUP after installation, this seems to be a serious conundrum!!!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-06-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The CF/Spruce/CF bridge plate is likely very stiff and light, but I wonder if a razor blade glued PUP removal is practical (slice that thin layer of CF and it is no longer a nice stiff bridge plate).

So for the OP who is well known in the AGF for despising tape and little to no loyalty to any PUP after installation, this seems to be a serious conundrum!!!

Lol. You’re taking too much pleasure in my pain.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
You never know how a pickup will work until you plug in at a venue. However, at the store that did the install the Lyric sounded excellent through a Loudbox Performer with flat EQ. I have no idea if it will sound that good through the venue’s PA.

Exactly - the reason I have a spare lyric is that it had too much “bleed” for my most frequent venue, picking up sound from other instruments and monitors. It also had the “head in a box” sound which I was never able to completely EQ out.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_t View Post
Exactly - the reason I have a spare lyric is that it had too much “bleed” for my most frequent venue, picking up sound from other instruments and monitors. It also had the “head in a box” sound which I was never able to completely EQ out.

If you look back you’ll find a number of my love/hate posts regarding the Lyric. I’ve had a few good installations and a few bad ones. It’s a boring tale for certain.

In this case, I was buying a new guitar while on vacation and I had the local repairman do the install. I need a pickup for Sunday and wasn’t sure what else to use on the carbon fiber plate. He did a very nice job. He said he has a little trick to install. Next time I change strings I’ll take a look.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:02 PM

Rehearsals are finished. The Lyric requires major EQ to be workable into the PA system in the MD. It’s not terrible, but the mids are way too “honky.”

I am going to gig it as-is with the Tech 21 Q strip and hopefully get a good tone. I may try also another location on the bridge plate later to see if that improves the tone.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rehearsals are finished. The Lyric requires major EQ to be workable into the PA system in the MD. It’s not terrible, but the mids are way too “honky.”

I am going to gig it as-is with the Tech 21 Q strip and hopefully get a good tone. I may try also another location on the bridge plate later to see if that improves the tone.
Do you have a the feeling that the carbon bridge plate is contributing to the Honkey mids?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Do you have a the feeling that the carbon bridge plate is contributing to the Honkey mids?

I guess maybe a little. But the EQ cut points are around 750 Hz and 900Hz where they were in previous installations.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:53 AM

I got inside the guitar with my mirror. The carbon fiber bridge plate seems to be about the same thickness as the standard maple plates, but it is a a good bit narrower. It looks the like dimensions for the Authentic or GE models. In fact, I’m not sure you could fit a K&K on there. It would be tight.

That said, the good news is that there is a lot of room left in front of the plate and before the braces. So, I just put the second set of adhesive pads on and stuck the Lyric right to the top in that spot. Actually, it sounds even better. Not sure how the feedback rejection might be affected. But it’s in the “pretty good” category. Should be all good for tonight.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I got inside the guitar with my mirror. The carbon fiber bridge plate seems to be about the same thickness as the standard maple plates, but it is a a good bit narrower. It looks the like dimensions for the Authentic or GE models. In fact, I’m not sure you could fit a K&K on there. It would be tight.

That said, the good news is that there is a lot of room left in front of the plate and before the braces. So, I just put the second set of adhesive pads on and stuck the Lyric right to the top in that spot. Actually, it sounds even better. Not sure how the feedback rejection might be affected. But it’s in the “pretty good” category. Should be all good for tonight.
Hoping It Goes Well For You, Dave!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hoping It Goes Well For You, Dave!

Thank! I’m debuting some new originals.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:23 PM

You might want to contact James May (http://jamesmayengineering.com/), who also frequents this forum, about attaching pickups to carbon fiber bridge plates. He possibly has experience with this.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification