The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which do you recommend for a first guitar?
Alvarez AF30 6 9.68%
Ibanez AC240 7 11.29%
Breedlove Discovery Concert 8 12.90%
Something else. (Please leave a suggestion.) 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2019, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Yet another vote for any of the Yamaha FS line - perhaps a touch bigger than Taylor's grand concert line, but a bit smaller than a grand auditorium or OM. My kid loves his ruby red FS820!
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 07-05-2019, 08:18 AM

Wow, overwhelmingly Yamaha.

Thank you everyone for all the advice!

I initially considered the Yamaha FS line, but a couple small things made me think otherwise. First, the nut width, I have fairly large fingers and thought a wider nut width might be better. Again, I don't really know how much, so probably just need to stop into a store and see if I can even feel the difference. Second, the lack of a strap button near the heel. I did see a strap can be tied on the headstock, so I guess that isn't really an issue.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:25 AM

The vote is so heavy Yamaha heavy because, IMO, they the $300 and under price point. If you go up a couple hundred there are more options that are good. Such as Eastman and Guild.

But your budget is just fine. For a first guitar, a $200 yammie is perfect. And, even if you stay with playing and want something better later on, you will probably never part with that Yammie.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
I'd respectfully disagree. At this price, I would buy new, from a reputable dealer, with the reassurance that your guitar has been set up properly and has no defects. You're not losing much if and when you come to sell a relatively inexpensive guitar, but you stand to lose a lot if you pick up a dud secondhand.

Establishing a relationship with a dealer can be a good thing while you're learning (they might put you in touch with a good tutor, or even give you a bit of tuition for nothing). Good too, when you're looking for a deal further down the line. I'm not a dealer, btw... I just think they need a bit of credit now and again.
Generally a shop isn't going to set up a budget guitar unless you pay extra for it, at which point he's spending a lot more than is really necessary.

You could buy a Yamaha FG830 for $300, plus tax, and pay $50 more for a setup if you wanted to, but they are available every day on Craigslist for $200 and under. And there aren't really any secrets to a setup, all the info you need to do it yourself is online, and that's a good skill to develop anyway.

Last edited by colder; 07-05-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
I would definitely check Craigslist in your area before buying a first guitar brand new.

Good quality used guitars are abundant, and you will be able to get a lot more for your money since you can find them for 50-60% of what they cost new. And if you decide guitar is not for you later, you can sell it for about the same price....
Good time to buy a used guitar....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-05-2019, 08:44 AM

Although it would save money or get you more guitar for the buck, it is probably a good idea to avoid buying used for your first guitar. There are some things to watch out for (neck angle, setup) and a newbie won't be savvy to those. Bring along a friend with playing experience if you can while test driving. The Yamaha gets a lot of love for the entry level ad are hard to beat, as does the Alvarez AC240 that you listed. I don't have much direct experience with either because they are only available locally at GC - and I don't go in there more than maybe once a year.

Other names to consider: Blueridge, Seagull (also Norman, Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie - all from the same company, Godin) and things like the Taylor Big Baby used. A new BBT would be over your budget. Good luck in your quest.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftMethod View Post

I initially considered the Yamaha FS line, but a couple small things made me think otherwise. First, the nut width, I have fairly large fingers and thought a wider nut width might be better. Again, I don't really know how much, so probably just need to stop into a store and see if I can even feel the difference. Second, the lack of a strap button near the heel. I did see a strap can be tied on the headstock, so I guess that isn't really an issue.
I never recommend F series Yamahas because of the nut width and string spacing. Their necks just don't agree w/me. I do like their L series quite a bit.

I'm prejudiced towards the AC240. Great neck, 1.75" nut width. I have played many of them and find that they are consistently good. Just make sure you get along with the tone of Mahogany/Sapele or whatever they are using now.

I like Seagulls too. My wife has one of their parlors and it is fantastic. My favorite Seagull is the Entourage (cedar top) mini-jumbo.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by botofogo View Post
Yamaha FS830 would be my suggestion.
Same here.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoC4CMQAvD_BwE
Old 07-05-2019, 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=DriftMethod;6103517]I'm buying my first guitar and need some help choosing. I basically know nothing, so any info is appreciated. My criteria is something smaller than a dreadnought, but bigger than a parlor, versatile, easy to maintain, and easy to play. Budget is around $300.

My criteria is something smaller than a dreadnought, but bigger than a parlor, versatile, easy to maintain, and easy to play. Budget is around $300.

If I had to do it all over again I still would choose a Yamaha FS model their very reasonably priced, extremely rugged and still can be had for under $300.00. Proving Yamaha is a great starter in a world full of instruments is hard. The truth is Yamaha musical instruments have been around since I started playing guitar but I never bought one until June 2011. My FS720s model sold at that time for $279.00 and can easily be bought at Guitar Center's used guitars for $199.00 which leaves you plenty of room for a case
and it will last a lifetime if you keep it. Like I said earlier their extremely rugged much more rugged than any other guitar I own and that includes my Gibson J-45's, Guild American F47RC W/Dtar, two Recording Kong 000's, Cordoba Flamenco, Fender American Strat and Tele.
You will inevitably decide and most likely choose as I did what feels right in your hands
Old 07-05-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botofogo View Post
Yamaha FS830 would be my suggestion.

YES!!! THIS^^^

Either the Yamaha FS830 if you want an OM size or the FG830 if you want a Dread size are just unbeatable in your price range, and it ain't even close.

The quality of the Yamaha guitars...the FS and FG are just amazingly good and they punch way WAY above their price range.

Do yourself a favor and put them to the head of the line of your "short list"

You will thank us all later {;-)

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 07-05-2019, 09:31 AM

On buying used, I think the seller matters and you can sort that out pretty quickly. I bought my Yamaha FS800 off Craigslist for $150 gently used with a nice gig bag thrown in. The guy I got it from had bought it on sale at GC and I imagine his wife was like, "What do you need this guitar for?" since he had other really nice instruments. If you decide to go the used route, consider asking the seller how long they've had the guitar, why they are selling, etc.

I did replace the plastic saddle with a Tusq one and installed my own strap pin following the directions in this video. I have minimal handy skills and these two upgrades were not hard at all.

Finally, on the nut width, you just have to see what works with your hands. I go between the Yamaha and other guitars with slightly wider nuts (1.75") with no problem, but everybody is a little different.

Have fun, enjoy, and let us know what you decide!
Old 07-05-2019, 09:40 AM

Ibanez Aw54jr. Smaller sized dread that’s comfortable to play with good playability. The Yamahas are very nice too! Another one that I had great luck with would be the Eastman Pacific coast highway series. Great bang for the buck.

Last edited by Nomore; 07-05-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 07-05-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftMethod View Post

Don't underestimate the impact of nut width. When I started out I didn't know anything about nut width and figured every guitar was a dread. I now prefer a wider nut, and played an Eastman recently with 1-13/16 nut that was impressively different than my Cargo with 1.75 (1-12/16). There are differences, too, in how strings are spaced within that dimension. As a beginner, you will likely adapt to whatever you learn on but there is indeed a consideration there.

A strap button is a pretty easy fix, and I was even willing to drill (ever so carefully) into a new Martin to add one...but a shop could do it quickly and without any worry.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Hi Drift, Welcome to the AGF!

Like others have mentioned, have a look at some Yamahas and also Seagull and Simon & Patrick (both of which are made in Canada). I recommend playing as many acoustics in your price range that you can at the local shop. You never know what might peak your interest.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
... You could buy a Yamaha FG830 for $300, plus tax, and pay $50 more for a setup if you wanted to, but they are available every day on Craigslist for $200 and under. And there aren't really any secrets to a setup, all the info you need to do it yourself is online, and that's a good skill to develop anyway.
Many first-time novice-player buyers do get guitars with high actions that discourage and limit their progress. And yet setting up could be more than most can cope with.
I had an easy few years with a Hummingbird with a truss rod and adjustable bridge, until I traded it toward a Martin that was almost unplayable. I had never heard the word luthier, so I did a very poor job myself and lived with it for decades.
I would recommend that whatever guitar is bought, a first time buyer take it to a luthier and ask for 2mm at the 12th fret and the nut as close to the 1st fret as possible.
It was only this year that I bought a new guitar that had been set up that way, and bought a string gauge to see why if felt so good. And then paid to have two more of my guitars set up that way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion