The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2019, 11:47 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Wise choice!

I would NEVER select a Collings for primarily strumming duty. They are awesome flatpickers and good fingerstyle instruments. But they are waaaaay too cutting and articulate for strumming, and I base my opinion on having owned two Collings OMs and a dread, and playing dozens of others.

The best strummers are warm, dark, and bass biased guitars. In other words, Martin to a “T”, and everything a Collings isn’t.

Enjoy your new guitar

****! Now I've got to stop strumming my OM2H...…..Hate to disagree but it is a wonderful strummer. Lighten your attack and use a .88 plastic pick. It sounds waaaaaaay good

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 05-31-2019, 12:42 PM

Hope the Martin works for you. My experience is just the opposite of Brencat's. I'm a singer, and moved from Martin to a Collings OM2G in part because I wasn't thrilled with Martins as strummers. I found them adequate, but relatively colorless and sometimes felt the backing was just mushy--thought of it as Martin mush, whereas the Collings offered warmth and sweetness with crispness and clarity. I find a Collings OM just a much more interesting and lively singing companion. I haven't played a guitar yet that I enjoy more than my Collings OM, is a better strummer for my music, or that serves me better as a singer.

Last edited by jrb715; 05-31-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Nice! Good luck with your new guitar. I will look forward to hearing your review.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Hope the Martin works for you. My experience is just the opposite of Brencat's. I'm a singer, and moved from Martin to a Collings OM2G in part because I wasn't thrilled with Martins as strummers. I found them adequate, but relatively colorless and sometimes felt the backing was just mushy--thought of it as Martin mush, whereas the Collings offered warmth and sweetness with crispness and clarity. I find a Collings OM just a much more interesting and lively singing companion. I haven't played a guitar yet that I enjoy more than my Collings OM, is a better strummer for my music, or that serves me better as a singer.
I have sometimes had a similar reaction to you on Martin OMs - mind you, I am still a very, very big fan. However, there have been times where I want just a little something more, and generally, Collings does it for me. Hence, why I own a couple.

That said, the OM42....every one I have played (which is only a handful) has been stellar. They are great strummers and finger style guitars. But, there is something incredible that I hear in the trebles on the OM42, that I have not heard anywhere else.

In the end, the OP had two great guitars to choose from. No doubt, it was a good spot to be.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:25 PM

Martin for me. Cant go wrong with either thought

I don’t personnaly like adi with rosewood.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:46 PM

If the OM-28 sounds legendary, i mean real classic Martin, then imagine a 42?! An OM or D-42 is an heirloom purchase. Your great great grandkids should be playing it 100 years from now.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzestar1977 View Post
So i choose the Martin

Coming next saturday.....

Oh! I missed this post. Supreme choice!!! The day i retire is the day i get my D-42. Already got the OM. I love the white fretboard trim.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:00 PM

Have a Collings om2 deep body and in every aspect a magic deep melodic instrument that surpasses every Martin I have owned especially in build.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:56 PM

Thx everybody for your Great replys, Tipps+Tricks! Enjoyed that a lot and thats how it should be.

Looking forward to the Martin next Weekend. Will keep you informed. Now i have to pack a guitar
Old 06-01-2019, 11:23 AM

The martin would have been my choice. Enjoy that sweet OM.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 07-08-2019, 10:54 PM

Hey Friends,

Back again and like to Report what happened

I wanted to Trade my bourgeois Adi/Madi and played 10 guitars.

Last 3 standing were the Santa Cruz om pw, Collings Om42 varnish and the goodall Trom.

Took the goodall Home and could not be happier now!
Close Second was the Santa Cruz. Was really Near to Trade my d42 against it but will buy it seperatly. Couldnt Part from my Martin.

Collings varnish sounded Great as well. But too expensive.....

Right now i am happy. Never thought it ended up like this but i reached my goal.
Find a nice strummer in a OM Body
Old 07-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Congrats Bronzestar........... talk about a twist.

I wished I would have seen this post, I would have suggested a M-36. Comfy as a small body, more grunt, very balance, good strummer/finger picker and not as bassy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion