The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-08-2019, 04:49 AM

Default Martin Drs1 Truss Rod Adjustment Range

I just acquire a Martin Drs1, and I set it up as I do with all my guitars when I get them. The neck relief is good, but the truss rod seems to have only about a 1/2 turn of adjustment either way, and it is now turned as far right as possible. I've not had a guitar with this little adjustment, and I'm concerned about future adjustments. Your thought are appreciated.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy

Last edited by Mike Sylvia; 06-08-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:32 AM

Martin uses various straight metal rods against metal rod or metal channel truss-rods since first introducing truss-rods. I think if you are comparing to a Gibson or Taylor, which are a curved metal rod in a wood channel, I do think after the Martin rod is tight and engaged in one direction (or the other for their newer dual action truss rods) there won't be much further play.

The Martin design(s) are superior in my opinion as metal on metal is immune to humidity changes or the unavoidable creep of wood and wood glue.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-08-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Martin uses various straight metal rods against metal rod or metal channel truss-rods since first introducing truss-rods. I think if you are comparing to a Gibson or Taylor, which are a curved metal rod in a wood channel, I do think after the Martin rod is tight and engaged in one direction (or the other for their newer dual action truss rods) there won't be much further play.

The Martin design(s) are superior in my opinion as metal on metal is immune to humidity changes or the unavoidable creep of wood and wood glue.
So basically the neck should not move from it's current relief position? I've just never noticed this before, as my other Martin's never needed an truss rod adjustment. Must be my ADHD kicking in again.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 06-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Martins, unlike Gibson, Taylor or Fender (electrics) should not require that twice annual truss-rod tweak (for those living in areas with dry winters or humid summers or both). When I owned them I was lazy and did the truss rod adjustment in the summer. When it dried out in the winter the neck relief would go up a little as the opposite can make a guitar unplayable (and for Gibson SG necks they will on occasion twist permanently if they bow backwards).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair