The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Classical Tunes - How do you start?

I've never played a classical guitar, I have a couple of crossovers (Cordoba's) and a classical on the way which should be here tomorrow (Alavarez MC90) and am trying to learn some finger-picking stuff, but I've never tackled a "real" classical song. I listen to some classical mixture playing by Charles Hammer and just love the sound and look forward to trying myself. But, how does an "old guy" start? If it is tabbed out do I just go one measure at a time? There seems to be no chords so I don't (I guess) have a chord structure to guide me. So How would you suggest learning? Starting simple, if there is a simple. I look forward to your responses.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Go here order some books beginning classical guitar books. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7bxubax6e2_b

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 PM

Hi arktrav,

From your handle, I am guessing that you come from a Bluegrass background. Classical guitar is a whole other world. Not that that’s a bad thing! In my opinion, crossing over from one musical world to another can result in some wonderful music.

But, technique-wise, you are looking at starting from scratch, and I suggest you do just that. Find a beginner’s method and work through it. Frederick Noad has a standard beginner’s guitar course, but there are others. If some lessons are in the budget, that would be a good idea as well.

Be aware that classical guitarists tend to place a lot of emphasis on “correct” technique, as compared to rock, folk and other genres where “whatever works for you” holds sway. This is great, if what you want to do is play really demanding classical stuff like “Recuerdos de la Alhambra”, but if you want to have fun playing easier material, take it with a grain of salt. I studied a little classical technique way back when, but now mostly play with a folk sensibility, using the classical technique when it makes something easier. And I play classical material on steel strings, which would probably make Segovia spin in his grave! Although, I have been contemplating getting a nylon-string guitar again - there's that darn GAS again! I'll be interested in your impressions of the guitars you have coming.

Good luck and happy playing!

Dave
Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 PM

Some classical stuff like "Lagrima" and "Adelita" is ok to play on steel string, but when you start getting all those fingers going in things like "Requerdos" and even "Romanza", you need the extra room of the classical neck.

These ones are a good place to start:

Lagrima lesson

Adelita lesson

Per Olof Kindgren has plenty of sheet music and tabs on his site. It's worth a visit.

I hope this helps with your Classical GAS.

Last edited by skyver; 07-15-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 AM

I agree with skyver, Tarrega has some great tunes for (relative beginners): not too complicated, and strong simple melodies to keep you focussed.

Other good pieces (tab links below, but I strongly recommend finding and using notation):

Bach: Minuet in G
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/jo...g_ver2_tab.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaALN...eature=related
(He's putting in few unnecessary ornaments. just because he can )

Carulli: Siciliana:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...iliana_tab.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aElt323p6I

There are two nice easy Preludes in D Major by Tarrega, but I never knew the numbers (the book I had just called both of them "Prelude"), and online tab seems very confused about which numbers they are:
This is one of them (lots of versions of this one on youtube):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEseewKNDHo
- that's in dropped D, but one tab I found has it in EADGBE (and under a different number), and (therefore) it sounds totally wrong.
I don't know if that is no.11, because another tab site has the other one I like labelled as no.11:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/f/fr..._major_tab.htm
There is just one mistake in that tab: the last note in bar 4 should be 5th fret string 3, not string 2.
The only youtube I found of that one is this rather amateurish version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6TbLYmErc

I'd appreciate if anyone could confirm for me which numbers these actually are.

Last edited by JonPR; 07-16-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
There seems to be no chords so I don't (I guess) have a chord structure to guide me.
As you play - or as you look at tab or notation - you should find chord shapes appearing. IOW, chords are always implied by the melodies and bass parts, and they can help you understand how the piece works. It can help sometimes to write these chords in over the music, as a way of helping you remember it.
The way I recommend learning them is working bar by bar. Get the first bar right - even very slow - then get the 2nd bar right. Then join them together. And so on. Remember transitions between bars are critical - the smoothness of flow is important. So work on links from bar to bar, as well as individual bars. This is especially important for changes of fret position of course.

Make sure before you start that your position is correct: ie, the way you hold the guitar, and your arm and hand positions. This matters more for classical guitar than other styles. The classical position can feel stiff and unnatural at first, but it's simply the most ergonomic for the instrument and the music; making the most economical use of muscles. (Plenty of youtubes will demonstrate it for you.)

Last edited by JonPR; 07-16-2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 AM

I have recordings of Tarrega Prelude 6 and 9 in D minor, but haven't tried to play them yet.

This Study in E minor is very nice, and you can hear the chord changes easily:

Tarrega Study in E minor

Kindgren has a transcription on his web page.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Great stuff, thanks!

Hey thanks for all the suggestions, I will do as you suggest and perhaps let you know how it is coming. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to note your responses to my inquiry. Blessings, arktrav
Old 07-19-2012, 03:34 AM

Take a look at classclef.com
Old 07-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Default -

This is an open Eb tuning cover!
check it!
I like open tunings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc5a3JRLROU&feature=plcp
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 AM

I am starting on some classical stuff as well (just bought a classical too!).

I have a teacher who teaches me fingerstyle but also is classically strained. So, she is going to teach me classical as well (we are going to switch back and forth between fingerstyle steel-string stuff and classical stuff). I will say that the technical aspects of classical playing is a bit more then what I was learning.

I did learn my first classical piece and it is fairly easy. I would suggest checking it out.

Andante by Ferdinando Carulli (pretty popular song, so sheet music should be found easy enough).

Although this guy doesn't play it in the typical classical style I think his rendition is very nice (you can see him anchor his pinky finger to the soundboard and his fingering is a bit different). Just an example of not conforming to "classical standards" and still getting great results. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrSLsSoOsrY

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 AM

Delcamp offers free on-line lessons. www.classicalguitardelcamp.com.

He also offers free sheet music: www.delcamp.net
Old 04-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I wrote this about two years ago and it seems that I've somehow just been spinning my wheels. I look back and appreciate all your comments and DavidM123 I especially appreciate your comments. Somehow I need to restart and try again. thanks to all, two years later!!!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 PM

It's worth it. I'm in a similar position to you in that I have a non classical background but enjoy classical guitar music.

I've learnt a handful of classical guitar pieces and they are very satisfying to play. I think solo classical or fingerstyle is the guitar at its best as an instrument.

My technique is self-taught and would make the purists cringe, but I don't play for them.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

You didn't have a focus or specific goals. Get a book and go through it. Frederick Noad's book, as already mentioned, is one good choice. One thing that will come up is how to hold the guitar. The traditional classical guitar position on the left leg is one option, but you do not have to do it that way if it is uncomfortable. In Noad's book for example you will have step by step items on technique plus actual songs to learn of gradually increasing difficulty. Or you could get a quality classical guitar teacher.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write