The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Digitech JamMan or Boss RC-20XL ???

Gidday everyone.

This is my first thread although I have responded to plenty of others.

I am looking at a loop station pedal. I have been looking at the Digitech JamMan Looper Pedal and the Boss RC-20XL Loop Station. I can't seem to make my mind up on which one. There are plenty of opinions out there about which one is better but I haven't been able to compare both side by side.

I don't perform in public or at open mic events, but I do plenty of playing in the comfort of my abode.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 PM

I've been using the Boss RC-20XL for a while and it does all the things you might need, but the Jamman will give you significantly more storage capacity as it uses the flash memory. I've not run out of recording space on the Boss, but I'm only looping short segments. I do think they are very good tools and really stimulated creativity especially if you play different instruments. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:14 PM

You have to ask yourself a few key questions:
1. Are you going to be "precious" about your loops. What I mean is: are you the type of person that won't want to get rid of any of your loops, keeping them all (good and bad) for eternity. If so, you'd better get the Jamman so that you can get a large storage card or better yet, be able to put them on your computer. You can't do these things with the Boss.
2. Do you need a rythm machine in the pedal? The boss has a few beats but not many. I don't believe the Jamman has any.
3. Do you really want a 2 pedal device or would the RC2 suffice. I've got the RC2 and although it only one pedal it seems to have more options than the RC20 and works great.

I'm a fan of boss but the Jamman seems to be a good unit as well.

Ah, yes... One more question.

4. Is price an issue?
RC2 - $179
RC20 - $239
Jamman - $299
RC50 - $499

Good luck, they're all fun and for a hobbiest they'd probably all work just fine.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:36 PM

I recently got a Boss RC-20XL and am using it at home. It is fairly intuitive and fun to play with. I agree that loop storage may be an issue but I record through a mixer and into my PC so I can save loops that way as well.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrayfreeman View Post
You have to ask yourself a few key questions:2. Do you need a rythm machine in the pedal? The boss has a few beats but not many. I don't believe the Jamman has any.
Actually, there are some rudimentary beats available in the JamMan. I use one in one of my permanent loops, for instance.

Both are excellent units. My review of the JamMan is HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-14-2007, 07:22 AM

I did homework and store testing of these and can't say anything bad about either. My reasons for liking the JamMan might not be the same for others though. I thought the JM had the edge because not only the storage, but because you can prepare files on a computer and transfer them to it.

I had more interest as a practice and basic recording tool than I did in terms of using it as a performance tool, so I've put off the purchase. I've seen them for sale on craigslist and eBay, and I might pull the plug if I see another craigslister desperate for some cash. Consider watching those sources if you can afford to wait on your purchase.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrayfreeman View Post
You have to ask yourself a few key questions:
1. Are you going to be "precious" about your loops... If so, you'd better get the Jamman so that you can get a large storage card or better yet, be able to put them on your computer. You can't do these things with the Boss.
2. Do you need a rythm machine in the pedal? The boss has a few beats but not many. I don't believe the Jamman has any.
3. Do you really want a 2 pedal device or would the RC2 suffice. I've got the RC2 and although it only one pedal it seems to have more options than the RC20 and works great.

I'm a fan of boss but the Jamman seems to be a good unit as well.

Ah, yes... One more question.

4. Is price an issue?
RC2 - $179
RC20 - $239
Jamman - $299
RC50 - $499

Good luck, they're all fun and for a hobbiest they'd probably all work just fine.
Gidday to all and thanks for all your replies thus far.

To answer the four questions quoted above:
1. No I won't be storing them for eternity, but the idea of putting a backing track onto the unit (via computer) does have merit.
2. Bob Womack answered this question in a later thread, but yes I do want some rhythm machine functions.
3. I'm after a unit that gives me as many options as I can for the price.
4. No object but won't be going overboard to have every single feature available.

I also had a look at the Boomerang but the price is almost double.

I am more into playing and jamming rather than performing, but a mate of mine performs live with a JamMan. He puts it to great effect so this is why I am considering all things on the market. Hopefully the unit that I eventually purchase will give me enough confidence to perform live.

I look forward to your responses and value what other muso's think of these units.

Bob Womack,

By the way the review you did sure does expand and complete the user manual of the JamMan. It made the manual make sense. Thanks.

p.s. By the way I have a Garrison 6 string and a Garrison 12 string through a Crate 60 watt acoustic amp.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:17 PM

fwiw...i bought the jamman at bob's suggestin and absolutely love it...very simple and efficient tool with outstanding replay quality.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:17 PM

Bruiser,

I attended a Taylor Guitar clinic a few months ago, featuring grammy-award winner Wayne Johnson on the guitar. Wayne used a Jam-Man, and the sound was superb. Absolutely zero sound degradation. I gotta get one.

Bob
Old 07-21-2019, 07:04 AM

Default Boss RC20XL

Love this unit. Don't do much storage,but use it "on the fly". Can kick it in and out and stay in time to play single note lead.sounds just like my guitar when kicked in.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovation joe View Post
Love this unit. Don't do much storage,but use it "on the fly". Can kick it in and out and stay in time to play single note lead.sounds just like my guitar when kicked in.
Hi o-j

Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad you jumped into a thread.

You may not have noticed, the last posting to this thread was 12 years ago. We call these Zombie threads.

I have a Boss RC-20XL and feel no need to upgrade it. Good looper.

Again, welcome to the group!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-21-2019, 08:29 AM

Wow has there been anything better on the market in the last 11 or 12 years?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Spend a little more buy a used Boss RC300. It does everything every other looper does and more; bass pedal, beats, storage, wah, volume, everything.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 07-21-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

The Jamman Stereo has switches instead of pedals... pedals seem a bit 'spongy' to me, switches feel more precise.

If you don't need storage or click tracks, the TC Electronic Ditto X2 is very nice, with a relatively small footprint.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification